Razr Maxx Audio Interference in Headphones

Grooviemann1

Reaction score
Hi all

Just received my Razr Maxx yesterday and loved everything about it until I got to work today and tried to listen to some media with headphones. No matter what application, I get this horrible whining sound that sounds like some kind of audio interference under the sound. I've tried both netflix and slacker and they both have this. It even occurs when notification ringtones trigger or when playing games.

I did some searching and only found a couple of similar issues online. However, they all state that it is interference from the LTE radio and turning it off fixes the issue. Unfortunately, that doesn't help me. It's still there even when in airplane mode so it doesn't seem to be radio interference. I've also tried two different pairs of headphones and it's the same on both.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

MightyT01

Reaction score
Try going into your sound settings and make sure media effects are not enabled for both your phone and wired devices. I seem to recall a similar problem on my Bionic and this helped.

Tapped from my Droid Razr Maxx

OP
G

Grooviemann1

Reaction score
Try going into your sound settings and make sure media effects are not enabled for both your phone and wired devices. I seem to recall a similar problem on my Bionic and this helped.

Thanks for the reply but it's not that. I've tried just about every audio setting and it's nothing I can seem to change. I have noticed that the interference changes slightly as I use the touchscreen. I'm pretty resigned at this point to the fact that this is some kind of electrical defect. It's not the subtle hissing that I've seen other people mention. It's a fairly loud, high-pitched electrical "whine" that only occurs with headphones.

Chukee

Reaction score
There is no way you should be getting this noise in your audio. There has to be some interference somewhere. I just for the heck of it played with the audio settings and I can't produce it. If you tried another headphone set and its still giving you the whine I would send it back to verizon for an exchange.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks for the reply but it's not that. I've tried just about every audio setting and it's nothing I can seem to change. I have noticed that the interference changes slightly as I use the touchscreen. I'm pretty resigned at this point to the fact that this is some kind of electrical defect. It's not the subtle hissing that I've seen other people mention. It's a fairly loud, high-pitched electrical "whine" that only occurs with headphones.

If the noise changes when using your touch screen then it's most definitely RF Interference and it shouldn't have this. There are extensive shields in place over every major component on the motherboard for this purpose. Take it to a phone center store and compare it with a display model. Show the store clerk and ask for a replacement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk