Razr Maxx - Android OS @ 50+% of battery consumption. Is this normal?

ny_rockstar

Reaction score
I am coming from a Droid X - where I think the highest I ever saw the aos was around 10%...

Now I am seeing 45-50 - - even 60% of battery usage being from android OS.

Is this normal?

Is there a way to fix this?

I feel like my battery life isn't that amazing.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
My personal experience is yes, it seems to come down a bit in time. Rebooting seems to rile it back up. Coming from a DX myself.

Living on the razr's edge "strop" aside

taylor9t

Reaction score
I felt a little duped on battery at first until I learned about the tricks behind the Razr Maxx from a great V store Rep. Plus an app that helps with battery consuption problems. It will give suggestions for what you need to do and gives you an idea of how long it will last at the rate you are going.

First, the app 2X battery.... that's a cool app. The biggest battery zapper is the brightness of the screen. Drop it below 30%. Most of the time that's all the brightness you need anyway. The bright setting is so nice, but it kills! LOL

Next go to the Task Manager in the phone... this helps a lot. Select every app and click "Add to Auto End List". It will automatically kill apps that keep opening in the background and zapping power AND data. I can get about 15 or so hours now and I am always on it.

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Interesting. I start using my phone at 7:30am and the end of my day (phone wise) is 16 hours later. I never plug my phone into any power supply during that period and my Razr Maxx battery level at 11:30pm has never been below 20%. I spent my day on 3G the entire day. The day it was at 20% was a travel day where I utilized my BT headset for just under 4 hours while at the same time using the phones GPS system. I also had over 90 minutes of call time recorded, numerous updates to word and excel files stored on DropBox, took at least a couple of dozen pictures which half were posted to the Internet, all the while having push email from google and yahoo active. Since the update was installed my battery length has gone up between 15-20% and my unit is measurably faster. Up over 1000 on AnTuTu to 6750 ish and up 300 on Quadrant to 2965 ish. My Razr Maxx is the best Verizon phone I ever had bar none.

Last edited:

taylor9t

Reaction score
battery

Interesting. I start using my phone at 7:30am and the end of my day (phone wise) is 16 hours later. I never plug my phone into any power supply during that period and my Razr Maxx battery level at 11:30pm has never been below 20%. I spent my day on 3G the entire day. The day it was at 20% was a travel day where I utilized my BT headset for just under 4 hours while at the same time using the phones GPS system. I also had over 90 minutes of call time recorded, numerous updates to word and excel files stored on DropBox, took at least a couple of dozen pictures which half were posted to the Internet, all the while having push email from google and yahoo active. Since the update was installed my battery length has gone up between 15-20% and my unit is measurably faster. Up over 1000 on AnTuTu to 6750 ish and up 300 on Quadrant to 2965 ish. My Razr Maxx is the best Verizon phone I ever had bar none.

That is so amazing. I really do adore this phone too. Just need to see whats up with the battery. Since the update we just did a factory reset today. Lets see if it works. The only thing is i want to keep it in 4g. Maybe thata the difference.

galletta

Reaction score
Next go to the Task Manager in the phone... this helps a lot. Select every app and click "Add to Auto End List".

What is "Task Manager" on the phone? I see an Application Manager but it does not have any settings like you mention above. Sorry for my ignorance.

jimmysif88

Reaction score
The only verizon phone that came close was the d1 when it first came out(that was incredible).nice to see that moto after probably a million phones has another groundbreaker.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What is "Task Manager" on the phone? I see an Application Manager but it does not have any settings like you mention above. Sorry for my ignorance.

Task manager is an app in the app tray.

franlofter

Reaction score
I was getting very poor battery life, I decided to try the drain battery to 0 then recharge fully.
after i did that i unpluged at 100% charge set all prog to kill after 2 min screen shut off and have been off charger 18 hours now with 80% left on battery, have used phone for normal things email, texts phone calls playing with settings etc.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I was getting very poor battery life, I decided to try the drain battery to 0 then recharge fully.
after i did that i unpluged at 100% charge set all prog to kill after 2 min screen shut off and have been off charger 18 hours now with 80% left on battery, have used phone for normal things email, texts phone calls playing with settings etc.

It's been said many times over, and on various threads, including many times by myself, that it is not a good thing to let your battery go down to 0 percent level. Draining your battery deliberately does nothing towards making your battery last any longer, nor does it do anything towards making it accept a more complete or 100 percent charge. What does go a long way towards making your battery accept a 100 percent charge is to power your phone off before plugging in the charger and letting the phone charge in the charge-only mode for the entire charging cycle. This allows the battery to accept a full charge by enabling the charging circuitry to recognize when the battery has reached a full charge, instead of being fooled into thinking the battery has reached a full charge at a lower level due to software or other services running in the background.

Draining your battery for no other reason than to drain it only reduces the number of charge cycles it has left. Also draining your power to 0 in some cases has caused phones to be completely unresponsive and difficult to get started again even after attempting to charge. There are many examples of people who have had their phones die completely and then were having a very difficult time getting the phone to start back up again.

franlofter

Reaction score
It's been said many times over, and on various threads, including many times by myself, that it is not a good thing to let your battery go down to 0 percent level. Draining your battery deliberately does nothing towards making your battery last any longer, nor does it do anything towards making it accept a more complete or 100 percent charge. What does go a long way towards making your battery accept a 100 percent charge is to power your phone off before plugging in the charger and letting the phone charge in the charge-only mode for the entire charging cycle. This allows the battery to accept a full charge by enabling the charging circuitry to recognize when the battery has reached a full charge, instead of being fooled into thinking the battery has reached a full charge at a lower level due to software or other services running in the background.

Draining your battery for no other reason than to drain it only reduces the number of charge cycles it has left. Also draining your power to 0 in some cases has caused phones to be completely unresponsive and difficult to get started again even after attempting to charge. There are many examples of people who have had their phones die completely and then were having a very difficult time getting the phone to start back up again.

Well this may all be true what you are saying, i do not know why before i drained battery to 0 i could not get more than 14 hours and after i did drain battery right now my phone has been off charger since battery drain for 1 day 12 hours and i am at 60%