Razr M Jellybean Rollback

GTinsdale

Reaction score
I installed the KitKat update on my Razr M and I can't stand it. The damn phone crashes on the hour and all apps related to the maps, including Navigation, are now awful! And there a dozen other annoyances that make me yell out "WTF were they thinking!!?"

I did a Factory Reset in the hopes of getting back to Jellybean 4.2 but, alas, it took me "back" to KitKat. $#%$&&@%$!! !

Can anyone point me in the direction of an official (unrooted) Jellybean 4.2 download so that, maybe, I can get my sanity back?

Thanks in advance! GT

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't think there is any "official unrooted" download. You probably need to be rooted yo go back to a JB version. Once you install a new OS you are stuck with it if you remain unrooted. Just curious...what is so bad about KitKat? You mentioned Maps& Nav which I used last night and saw no difference from JB. What else is bad on your phone?

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
What do you mean KitKat sucks? I like the new os. It made the Droid RAZR M a pure Android phone. I didn't like the Blur UI. And I don't see anything bad in this update besides the SD card support. I wish Google didn't mess up SD card support. Now I am having a hard time backing up my apps via App Backup and Restore to my SD card. And BTW you can only downgrade your phone if you have an unlocked boot loader. But unfortunately the Droid RAZR M has been fully patched by Verizon. Meaning there will never be a way to unlock your boot loader.

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I don't think there is any "official unrooted" download. You probably need to be rooted yo go back to a JB version. Once you install a new OS you are stuck with it if you remain unrooted. Just curious...what is so bad about KitKat? You mentioned Maps& Nav which I used last night and saw no difference from JB. What else is bad on your phone?

a few corrections,
official unrooted files can be found here Motorola Firmwares
root has nothing to do with your ability to flash back to an older version

the reason it cant be flashed back is exactly what droideddie13 posted, you must have unlocked the bootloader on 9.16.6 or before. it was patched it the following update.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for correcting my information. I am not familiar with the entire process...other than the normal user with an unmodified phone cannot return to a previous version.

OP
G

GTinsdale

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. As I mentioned, all apps related to maps and Navigator weren't working properly. In the past, whenever I'd do a Google search for an address and then click thru for directions, there was always an immediate connection to Navigator. After I installed KitKat, it no longer worked. I reinstalled KitKat and most of the lost map functionality has returned. However, certain apps that used to work flawlessly either don't launch at all (even with reinstallation of those apps), or their functionality just ain't what it used to be. Oh well. Maybe the next upgrade will correct these problems.

dr_jpeg

Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. My XT907 is running JB . I'm unlocked and rooted. When I try to update to KK the installation aborts and phone goes into a boot loop. I have to restore from a nandroid backup to get the phone working again. Have tried several times with the same result. I tries factory reset, clear cache and dalvik cache and still happens. Any advice would be appreciated, or if anyone knows of a custom ROM with KK for XT 907 please let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I have the opposite problem. My XT907 is running JB . I'm unlocked and rooted. When I try to update to KK the installation aborts and phone goes into a boot loop. I have to restore from a nandroid backup to get the phone working again. Have tried several times with the same result. I tries factory reset, clear cache and dalvik cache and still happens. Any advice would be appreciated, or if anyone knows of a custom ROM with KK for XT 907 please let me know. Thanks.

grab the KK fxz for your phone from here Motorola Firmwares
extract the file to a folder
edit the xml file and completely remove any lines containing "getvar" (if you want to save your data, also completely remove the "erase userdata" line)
close and save the edited xml file
flash to your phone using the edited xml file as the target in rsd.

thats the basic steps, if you need a full tutorial on rsd, just use google, there are plenty out there.

dr_jpeg

Reaction score
grab the KK fxz for your phone from here Motorola Firmwares
extract the file to a folder
edit the xml file and completely remove any lines containing "getvar" (if you want to save your data, also completely remove the "erase userdata" line)
close and save the edited xml file
flash to your phone using the edited xml file as the target in rsd.

thats the basic steps, if you need a full tutorial on rsd, just use google, there are plenty out there.

Thanks for your help. Was able to update to KK and reroot after much trial and error. :)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The easiest thing to do is blame the OS when Apps are not working the way they should. Perhaps it's the App and not the OS. Check those apps and see if the Dev has updated them to work with KK.

ajaNinja

Reaction score
Phone bricked. Cant go back to Jellybean... can KitKat be fixed?

a few corrections,
official unrooted files can be found here Motorola Firmwares
root has nothing to do with your ability to flash back to an older version

the reason it cant be flashed back is exactly what droideddie13 posted, you must have unlocked the bootloader on 9.16.6 or before. it was patched it the following update.

Hello!

Since the KitKat update, my phone (Razr Maxx HD) has had zero connection to my carrier. I've done everything short of restoring to factory settings, because then instead of having an unusable KitKat phone I'd have a blank unusuable KitKat phone. :p

I thought going back to Jellybean would restore the functionality. But based on what you said above it looks like Verizon burned that bridge. Maybe there is some way to fix this KitKat Katastrophe? Or a different way to flash Jellybean onto the phone?

Any solutions you can suggest would be really, really appreciated!

(phone isn't exactly bricked... can still press buttons and get response... just can't call or text or anything a phone is supposed to do)

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Hello!

Since the KitKat update, my phone (Razr Maxx HD) has had zero connection to my carrier. I've done everything short of restoring to factory settings, because then instead of having an unusable KitKat phone I'd have a blank unusuable KitKat phone. :p

I thought going back to Jellybean would restore the functionality. But based on what you said above it looks like Verizon burned that bridge. Maybe there is some way to fix this KitKat Katastrophe? Or a different way to flash Jellybean onto the phone?

Any solutions you can suggest would be really, really appreciated!

(phone isn't exactly bricked... can still press buttons and get response... just can't call or text or anything a phone is supposed to do)

there is no way to get JB back on the phone unless you previously unlocked the bootloader, which ill assume you didnt or you would already be aware of that.

you could try to re-flash the phone and save your data.
download the KK fxz from the previously mentioned link (make sure you get the right one, should be at the bottom, under your phone model)
extract it to a folder
find the "xml" file and right click "edit"
completely remove any lines that contain "getvar" and "erase userdata"
close and save the file
flash with rsd lite and use the newly modified xml file as the target (use google to find a tutorial for rsd if you need it, there are plenty out there)

after using this, the phones software will be like new, yet your data will still be intact. i do recommend backing up your data first just in case something unexpected happens.
if the problem still persists after the flash, you will have no other option but to do a factory reset.