Razr M Antennagate?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR M' started by zbaba4, Sep 15, 2012.

1. dan.dar

dan.dar Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Brother's in law house. Wife's Droid charge has two bars on 4g, I'm firmly stuck on 3g. Together with the other annoyances, this phone is going back.

Sent from my Droid RAZR M using Tapatalk.

2. phositadc

phositadc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think there is definitely a 4g signal issue with this phone compared to other lte phones on Verizon. Thing is, most people will never notice it. I'm also leaning towards returning mine because of delayed gtalk notifications on WiFi. However, I do plan to give the razr i a try. I just love the form factor too much to give up on it completely.

3. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,908
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Note 3
    Just to be sure that everyone has done this, be sure your phone is not set to global data. Go to settings --->more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA.

For whatever reason, Motorola thought setting global as the default mode was best. It is not. Global mode will cause your phone to search many types of networks repeatedly and will choose what it thinks is the best which usually is 3g. It also uses much more battery.

Also, do not use the number of bars as an indicator of signal strength. Motorola ICS does not display signal the same as most, where 2 bars on Motorola is often equivalent to 4 bars on another phone or on gingerbread. That is because when Motorola changed to ICS, they changed the range of how the dBm level was reported in the bar graph. Sorry, I do not remember the article source that discussed this or the exact figures but basically where -100 dBm used to be reported as 3 or 4 bars, it is now reported as 2 bars on ICS.

4. AmishButcher

AmishButcher New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks! Just switched it

5. dan.dar

dan.dar Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I did that already. I have wifi at home and at work but outside I'd like to be in 4g and sadly it seems to be hard to do on this phone.

Sent from my Droid RAZR M using Tapatalk.

6. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,908
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Note 3
    I am rarely in a 4g area so I'm not sure yet how it will perform. Tomorrow I will be in a strong 4g area so I will find out how it does.

7. cored

cored New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll add my anecdotal data to the mix.

Just 'upgraded" to the Droid Razr M from the Droid Incredible last night, even though I had read about potential weak signal issues. I figured it would be quite a bit faster regardless, and I was wrong.

I always got a bit of a weaker 3g signal at work, but I had 2-3 bars and a solid internet connection 95% of the time at this location. My new Razr M has had no data connection at all for most of the day. Right now it's showing 2 bars of 4g, and seems pretty fast. Ten minutes ago nothing. It did switch to 3g once briefly. Argh.

Oh and I'm solidly in Verizon's 4g coverage according to their map, which is kinda bs I know, but I still figured it would be better.

I seriously hope this is not a hardware issue and will be solved by just giving the new phone a little time to get to know the newish network, or some software update, because I do like the phone, but I only have 1 month to return it, which may not be enough time...

8. josh1980

josh1980 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I found a program that I checked out a few weeks ago that can give you an indication of what other people are getting. The program collects real world data points and does not rely on your cell phone service maps. It's called Sensorly and can be found on the Play Store.

This does assume that someone else has collected data points for your area. My small town has the main interstate going into and out of town, but that's all. I could imagine that in big cities the map may not reflect the 3G/4G areas very well. For me, it's "good enough" only because I expect 3G everywhere in my town so its accurate since my entire town is 3G only.

Another cool program I found is called OpenSignal. Again, found in the Play Store. It will actually map the tower you are connected to and show you distance and stuff. It's pretty cool just for messing around.

9. cubsfan2113

cubsfan2113 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I must be really lucky, but I've had my M for about 2 weeks now and it has only dropped to 3g once that I've noticed. This was in a known bad signal area that my old DX would sometimes drop to 1x .

10. smuckers

smuckers New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've also had my m for about 2 weeks.. I'm on 2-3 bars 4G at home at work its hit or miss though.. Large factory.. I'm 30 miles west of Detroit, MI and vzw is expanding Detroit area next week so hopefully gets a little better at work... But overall quite happy with the 4G coverage in my area.. Still loving the M

11. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Though it does seem to give up on 4G and switch to 3G a little more often than my other devices, the switch is fast and seamless, without dropping data. Based on some other evidence, I'm leaning towards some software tweaks fixing it, or at least greatly improving it.

Make sure, if you're having issues, you report it with details over at the Moto support forums for the Razr M.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

12. bonzomatic

bonzomatic Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No problems here

I've had my M for a couple weeks now and the only time I have had any trouble with not getting 4G was at a concert where everyone was tying up the bandwidth. I also have yet to have a missed call like I did with my Droid X.

Search tags for this page
droid razr m problems
droid razr m reception issues
droid razr m signal fix

droid razr m signal issues

droid razr m signal problems
motorola razr m signal problems

razr m antenna

razr m reception

razr m reception issues
razr m signal strength