Razr M Antennagate?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR M' started by zbaba4, Sep 15, 2012.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +4,917
    It will be after your 15 days. Being it could be isolated go to vzw and get a new razr m. If you still have that problem then get your refund before the 15 days.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Not trying to nitpick PC, but I believe it's 14 days, not 15... I'd just hate to see him walk in on day 15 and them say, "sorry, missed it by a day!" :)

And z, I don't blame you at all, and again wasn't intending to say that you weren't experiencing something legit. If I was in your shoes, I'd do the same thing. Don't want to use an upgrade on a phone that's going to spend 6 months acting like that if it turns out to be a more complicated fix. Might as well wait until they drop the Maxx to $100 and get another one of those!

#14 jntdroid, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. zbaba4

zbaba4 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went to 2 Verizon stores. I tried the demo M phones side by side with their Razr Maxx. The Ms had 1 or 2 less bars and was switching to 3G and back. More importantly the signal strength on the M in 4G was 20 dbm lower than the Maxx. Proves its not just my phone so I returned it! I'm back to my Droid X and I'll watch the forums for a fix. Still need a phone.

Also, you said Moto is working on it. Is that posted anywhere by Moto??

4. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I think he was simply referring to the fact that Matt, the forum manager over on the Moto forums (who also is "in charge" of soak tests, etc.) was looking into it. Correct me if I'm wrong pc!

5. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,917
    u right I believe it is 14 days thanks for the correction.

6. liftedplane

liftedplane Silver Member

Ratings:
    +651
    Why so hostile? Just because you aren't having issues does not mean they don't exist. The op ran the m vs his maxx and still noticed a difference. Therefore there its an issue. Don't come into a thread and accuse people of automatically blaming hardware.

On topic, I'm sorry to hear this is happening, I'm waiting for the note 2 myself or maybe Motorola's new device. Either way hopefully Motorola can fix this.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

7. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,917
    Correct. Plus vzw is very bad at pushing software patches even emergency ones. When they released the tbolt they pushed an ota that sent the already battery hungry phone into bootloops. Despite devs finding a fix within a day it took vzw 3 to 4 months to push a fix. So yeah even if motorola had a fix today vzw would drag their feet to push it. So I would not recommend waiting for it.

8. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +300
    To add a bit to this... :frown:

All I have is my wife's iPhone to compare with. 3G dbm's were comparable on both (upper 60s to low 70s). LTE dbm's were on average 10 or so higher than 3G, for whatever that may or may not be worth.

We live within 100 yards of a Verizon tower. I could see how someone in a fringe area, or even farther from a tower, might have an issue with it switching back to 3G too often, especially if you're carrying it without a case. I wish I had a Maxx to test this with, as well, but it appears the M has similar attenuation "issues" to the iPhone. Again, the good part is it's not dropping data altogether, so a software tweak could possibly (?) tell it not to switch back as "easily". You'll probably have to expand these to see the numbers. Sorry about that, each video was taken with the other phone. (Sidenote: the iPhone does a much better job at capturing the true light/colors in the room! )

M:

iPhone:

9. zbaba4

zbaba4 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies since I started this. I have posted this issue on several forums and gotten enough confirmation that it is surely real. A lot of confusion too with people saying they don't drop calls, which of course has nothing to do with the data signal. I called Moto support and they have accepted this to escalate to engineering, I have a case #. They have actually called me back 3 times for more info. I hope this leads at least to at least an acknowledgement if not a fix. I will post the result. If the M sold several million the first week like the iPhone 4, you would hear about it.

10. phositadc

phositadc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Please keep us posted. it's the one thing holding me back from getting the phone.

Btw, as far as you can tell is it only the 4g, and not the 3g, signal that is effected by this?

11. phositadc

phositadc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went to a Verizon store today to compare signals myself. The razr M was right next to the og droid razr. 1x and 3g signals were nearly identical. The M's seemed to bounce around between -60 and -70 whereas the og razr's was more consistent at about -65 dBm, but overall both seemed to average mid-60s. This is consistent with many of the posts on forums I have seen suggesting the M gets a solid 3g signal.

4g was unfortunately a different story. The M couldn't pick up a 4g signal at all. I even tried to force lte only, and rather than picking up a 4g signal, it had no signal of any kind.

The og razr, in stark contrast, had a solid and consistent 4g signal of about -75 dBm.

This comparison also seems consistent with reports that the M gets a weak or even no 4g signal at all where other Verizon devices get 4g.

Honestly I was a bit surprised and disappointed that the M was getting nothing where the og razr was getting strong 4g. Maybe it was attributable to a bad SIM or something, but that was my unfortunate experience.

Would still appreciate if people could post comparisons, especially if 4g lte signal strength.

12. dan.dar

dan.dar Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Just came back from the store. Looked at dbm counters on razr, razr maxx, razr m, galaxy nexus, rezound and S3. The razr, razr max and rezound were all in 66-68 range even when picked up (didn't pick up the rezound). The galaxy nexus and galaxy s3 were both in mid 70s, high 70s when picked up. The razr M was in high 70s to low 80s and mid 80s to low 90s when picked up.

Too bad, I almost ordered it last night, but now I'm definitely waiting till Razr HD comes out.

Search tags for this page
droid razr m problems
droid razr m reception issues
droid razr m signal fix

droid razr m signal issues

droid razr m signal problems
motorola razr m signal problems

razr m antenna

razr m reception

razr m reception issues
razr m signal strength