Razr M Antennagate?

zbaba4

Reaction score
Already have a Razr Maxx. Got a Razr M for my wife. I noticed it was dropping down to 3G a lot (at home), my Maxx stayed locked on to 4G. Checked signal level. Typically Maxx @ -95 dbm (3 or 4 bars), M @ -112 dbm (1 or 2 bars). That's a lot lower. I played with it and quickly noticed that if I wasn't holding it, the M was -103 dbm. That is, holding it with my left hand. Sound familiar ? The Maxx had a sleeve so I took it off, no difference. Improvised a sleeve for the M, level -103 db.

I will try it around town today but I expect it will track. Result expected, M signal level is either 7 or 17 dbm lower than Maxx depending on whether you are holding it or not and sleeved or bare. I know from back in the iPhone antenna problem days we were made aware all phones can be effected by how you hold them but a 10 db difference seems like a lot.

So there are two issues here:
Is the Razr M weaker than the Razr Maxx (or Razr) in 4G signal level detection? Not just num of bars, It drops down to 3G
Does the Razr M have an antenna problem like the iPhone did when you hold it ?

Can anyone run some tests to confirm?

speedy328

Reaction score
This is very interesting and disappointing. I always considered Motorola to have the best radios.

Since reading this OP I've noticed at least a 10 point improvement in signal strength when NOT holding the phone placing it flat on desk), regardless of hand or on the top or bottom.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Wonder if the Razr HD will have a similar design.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
those with problems may try sending your info to the forum manager they are currently looking into the issue.

str0ntium

Reaction score
I have no issues, with the radio. In fact, it's pretty kick ass. Those of you that are having problems need to focus on the towers and the load in your area. Stop blaming the hardware, off the bat. It gets old. If your towers are overloaded, tough. Switch providers. The radio, in this phone (hardware and all) is tight.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have no issues, with the radio. In fact, it's pretty kick ass. Those of you that are having problems need to focus on the towers and the load in your area. Stop blaming the hardware, off the bat. It gets old. If your towers are overloaded, tough. Switch providers. The radio, in this phone (hardware and all) is tight.

Calm down the op is not the only one noticing issues. For motorola to be looking into it there may be a problem even if it is a software issue. I would not be surprised to see a baseband update for the razr m.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
A few things to keep in mind - and I'm by no means saying this isn't an issue:

• Every time, and I mean every time, Verizon releases a new LTE device, they seem to have network issues for the first week or so.
  • It was discovered quite awhile back that a lot of the LTE connectivity issues were due, in part, to authentication issues between the network and said LTE device.
  • Between those two issues, it's quite possible that these are simply growing pains in the first days of a new LTE device on the network.
  • Software patches helped *most* Bionic users and *most* Gnex users, so if my theory above is wrong, there's still hope.
  • I say all of that knowing that I've had a M for a few days now and the signal strength has been excellent, easily on par with previous devices (which includes all devices mentioned in this thread so far). So my hope is that these issues are isolated.

- sent from my Razr M -

Last edited:

josh1980

Reaction score
I'm not an RF engineer, but if you're holding the phone in your hand you are shielding some of the signal... so no surprises there. "How much" it affects it is a different story.

OP
Z

zbaba4

Reaction score
pc747, thanks for pointing me to the Moto owners forum. I am happy to see I am not the only one discovering this.

You say Moto is working on it. Where did they say that?

In a different post in this forum I said I returned it. Verizon has their refund restrictions and I don't want to wait for a potential fix.

For

Calm down the op is not the only one noticing issues. For motorola to be looking into it there may be a problem even if it is a software issue. I would not be surprised to see a baseband update for the razr m.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It will be after your 15 days. Being it could be isolated go to vzw and get a new razr m. If you still have that problem then get your refund before the 15 days.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not trying to nitpick PC, but I believe it's 14 days, not 15... I'd just hate to see him walk in on day 15 and them say, "sorry, missed it by a day!" :)

And z, I don't blame you at all, and again wasn't intending to say that you weren't experiencing something legit. If I was in your shoes, I'd do the same thing. Don't want to use an upgrade on a phone that's going to spend 6 months acting like that if it turns out to be a more complicated fix. Might as well wait until they drop the Maxx to $100 and get another one of those!

Last edited:
OP
Z

zbaba4

Reaction score
I went to 2 Verizon stores. I tried the demo M phones side by side with their Razr Maxx. The Ms had 1 or 2 less bars and was switching to 3G and back. More importantly the signal strength on the M in 4G was 20 dbm lower than the Maxx. Proves its not just my phone so I returned it! I'm back to my Droid X and I'll watch the forums for a fix. Still need a phone.

Also, you said Moto is working on it. Is that posted anywhere by Moto??

It will be after your 15 days. Being it could be isolated go to vzw and get a new razr m. If you still have that problem then get your refund before the 15 days.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2