Razr M. 4.3" Display?? I think NOT..

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR M' started by Nyguy7, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Nyguy7

Nyguy7 New Member

I am not sure why is motorola advertising the Razr M as having a 4.3 inch display.. It most certainly does not..It's closer to a 4" in reality..
    Coming from a true 4.3 display in the EVO 3D, I right away noticed that while using the Razr M, that this screen felt much smaller than my EVO 3d did..
    I placed them side by side and low and behold the evos screen was consideratly taller.. I realized that motorola is claiming that the area were the capacitive button are permantly, located are actually part of the display.. That is total BS.. I also dont know why they call it an edge to edge screen, when it is most surely not..:blink:
  2. cubsfan2113

cubsfan2113 New Member

Your right and wrong. The button space does cut into the total screen area and leaves it at more around 4", but the buttons are not permanent. When using many apps, especially gaming ones, the buttons disappear and you get the full 4.3" size. Playing videos also makes the buttons go away and you get true full screen.

Regardless you will be hard to find another phone of the same physical size that has a equal or bigger screen than the M.

Sent from RAZR M running Jelly Bean
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid Active Member

Agreed. Also, if you want to say the screen size on the M is incorrect, you would have to say that about the HD and every Nexus device starting with the GNEX and Nexus 7.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  4. Nyguy7

Nyguy7 New Member

So far, i have played 1 video game on it (mini squadron) and have played a few video clips, and those buttons remained there all throughout..
    I just wish motorola was more truthful in their advertising..I'm pretty sure that they are claiming its a 4.3 display just to sway potential smartphone
    buyers away from buying the 4 inch iphone5.. Also, whats up with not being able to disable the vibrate when coming off of the lock screen? A phone that doesnt allow u to stop it from vibrating? Are they kidding with that one??
  5. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

For many of my apps/games the on screen buttons disappear, which is the same as any true ICS display. And I have vibrate turned off. The only time I ever get vibrate is if I set the volume down to vibrate. It's all a matter of personal preference and this phone works great for me.
  6. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

I would say that about all those phones and tabs... its truly a smaller screen 90% of the time... and while your typing the keyboards are way too high

its actual screen size is only during games and movies... which most people aren't doing that often

the 4.8 of the samsung s3 looks far larger than the 4.7 moto HD because the on-screen buttons not just the .1" overall difference

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  7. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea.....I logged into Netflix and the buttons disappear when watching a movie.

Its not false advertising. Its also one reason why I never liked the on screen keys when I had a G Nex, and I still dont like em. I'm just waiting for some on screen key mods to remove them. Also a reason why I'm a fan of hard keys.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  8. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

maybe they'll start advertising them as 4.1/4.3" lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  9. Nyguy7

Nyguy7 New Member

How on earth did you disable the haptic vibrate feature when unlocking the lock screen?? I called motorola themselves and they said there was no way to disable it.. Please show me how???, I'd really appreciate it...
  10. Nyguy7

Nyguy7 New Member

Yes the buttons dissapear from one side and reappear on the other side.. Have you noticed that??
  11. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

For Netflix, you might have to tap the screen for full screen. But my keys disappear all the way.
  12. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

Me too, me too, me too.....!
  13. joshxdroid

joshxdroid New Member

The other thing you have to realize is the M has a wider screen, and they are measured corner to corner not top to bottom
  14. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Wow, pretty crazy. I think that may be the only haptic feedback I get but it is barely noticeable. I actually tried to change the setting in sounds by checking and unchecking Screen Lock Sound but no difference either way. Now I'm wondering if my vibrate/haptic feedback is barely working (which would explain why I don't have those problems).

Edit: turned haptic vibrate on for everything. It works but is very very weak compared to the haptic feedback on my Maxx...which serves me quite well because it drove me crazy on my Maxx (which is why I keep it off).
  15. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

The on screen buttons are a love it or hate it thing.

There are times I like it because it gives the phone a clean look in the front. I like the all screen look.
    But at times the on screen buttons get in the way when typing. Overall I like that we have choices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  16. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

+1000! Been said a million times before but that is why we choose Android!
  17. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 New Member

yeah buttons go away for MX video player. I like on screen buttons too so I have no complaints. It's just like on iOS when a part of an app (most apps) have a back on the upper left to go to the previous screen and there's a title etc. That takes up screen real estate too in terms of the app. iOS has basically in app navigation buttons that take up screen space. I do wish the nav bar was a little smaller however, I was able to edit this to be 30px on custom roms on the S3..I used nav keys even with the hardware buttons.

many apps look like this image.

View attachment 57644
  18. donebrasko

donebrasko New Member

I never thought about it that way. The actual screen that you actually use is smaller on some apps.

Is there a way to hide the soft keys and make them show up only when you hit the power button or something?
  19. sonik

sonik New Member

I agree with the love them or hate em.. for me, I love them! The impaired real estate is well worth not having to worry about liquids/debris/wear or breaking of the hard keys that always seemed to plague mine in past phones. Besides, i've no doubt some hacks will come along that will also make these soft keys moddable :)
  20. Nyguy7

Nyguy7 New Member

I dont mind soft keys at all. I actually like them more so than the physical ones on the S3 and the iphone, I just wish it was a true 4.3 screen not counting them being there.. I just had my Razr M, next to an iphone5 and the screens are basically the same size, the razr M's may be a tad bit wider, but the height is the same, the iphones may be a a touch taller.
Search tags for this page
droid m haptic feedback

droid razr 4.3 screen

haptic feedback razr m lock screen
hide navigation bar on razr

how big is the screen on a driod razer m

how to turn off vibrate at screen lock on a droid m

razr m 4.3

razr m how to remove onscreen buttons
razr m navigate no softkey
razr m no nav

razr m not 4.3