Razr HD/Maxx shows Rooted even if restored to stock!

xmguy

Reaction score
Found this out when browsing the programming menu (##program) from the dialer. At the bottom it says clear as day Device Rooting. Click on it and it will say Rooted if it EVER was rooted, even if it isn't now and even if restored to Stock (as in RSD). New phone will show Not Rooted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Yup, that's how moto/Verizon keep track of if you tampered with your device or not. Warranty is now void. Its sad really.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, certain parts of the warranty are void, not all of it. Its complicated, but there are clauses and other FCC rules that if its a manufacture defect and requires repair, Moto can't deny a warranty claim because you were rooted, unless it can be proven that root caused the issue. Verizon however has the right to deny warranty exchanges in certain cases as well, its all a bunch of complicated political crap.

I did just check mine though, mine says Unrooted, even though I have been rooted before and have restored to stock since then. Also, in stock recovery I show a "0/1" which I assume states I was rooted, but am no more. I'll have screen shot here in a second.

djspy

Reaction score
Didn't they make rooting and jail breaking your device legal a few years ago? If rooting causes a problem then that's when your warranty is void. Simply rooting does not void warranty. There was a video about it on XDA.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Well, certain parts of the warranty are void, not all of it. Its complicated, but there are clauses and other FCC rules that if its a manufacture defect and requires repair, Moto can't deny a warranty claim because you were rooted, unless it can be proven that root caused the issue. Verizon however has the right to deny warranty exchanges in certain cases as well, its all a bunch of complicated political crap.

I did just check mine though, mine says Unrooted, even though I have been rooted before and have restored to stock since then. Also, in stock recovery I show a "0/1" which I assume states I was rooted, but am no more. I'll have screen shot here in a second.

I sent 1 phone back to VZW already with no charges or warranty voided claims. I just play dumb if need be. However how did you clear that? I have a SECOND Maxx HD I need to return that also still states rooted. 1 phone VZW might overlook. Not 2. I will say the phone otherwise if fully stock. No root apps or anything.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Didn't they make rooting and jail breaking your device legal a few years ago? If rooting causes a problem then that's when your warranty is void. Simply rooting does not void warranty. There was a video about it on XDA.

In my case I KNOW rooting wasn't the cause.