RAZR dropped, then Galaxy Neuxus, Then RAZR Agian:)

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If putting up with a few apps that I never see or use, since they can be hidden in the app drawer, is what is considered Blur, it's a joke for people to say it's a big deal.

So the "pure " experience and what I see on my Razr are basically the same, but because it's not "pure", it's an issue? That's too funny.

I'll ask again, what is "Blurred" on my Razr so I can begin to differentiate the two.

And BTW, there is no way whatsoever that you can compare Blur to Sense and Touchwiz. Sense and Touchwiz are obvious from the second you pick up the phone and are intertwined throughout the OS. Blur isn't.

That's like comparing humans to whales because they are both mammals.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Motorola's Platforms UI (not Blur anymore) is a skin. Whether it's more or less a skin then sense or TouchWiz, it is a skin. It also takes up extra resources from the that could be freed up otherwise, ala, the GNex. And yes, pure Google makes it so we don't get all those useless Verizon apps. Don't get them confused with Google's pre installed apps.

Pure Google is basically for people that want a nice clean phone without root, and if they want to root, to take full advantage of their phones. It's also easier to do since there's less work-a-rounds they have to go through. Aosp just seems cleaner and is usually more smooth. That's why people root to get that back.

It may not be a big deal to some, like it seems it's not to you. But for a lot it is pretty significant. It's personal preference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Androidatic

Reaction score
Doesn't matter who made the phone. They work together with Samsung to make it. Its a nexus phone meaning its a Google phone. Besides Samsung has been making the best phones recently anyway so if anything this is the best of both worlds.

This phone will always be updated. The razr will be ancient history next month when the d4 comes out and some other cool Motorola phone with another catchy name like a bionic, razr, or terminator comes out.

You are aware that Moto just sent out another update for the OG, aren't you? That phone is over 2 years old and it was just updated again.

I'll have a new phone in 18 months because the Razr, Rezound, GN, D4, etc, will be ancient technology by then.

blackterry

Reaction score
Motorola's Platforms UI (not Blur anymore) is a skin. Whether it's more or less a skin then sense or TouchWiz, it is a skin. It also takes up extra resources from the that could be freed up otherwise, ala, the GNex. And yes, pure Google makes it so we don't get all those useless Verizon apps. Don't get them confused with Google's pre installed apps.

Pure Google is basically for people that want a nice clean phone without root, and if they want to root, to take full advantage of their phones. It's also easier to do since there's less work-a-rounds they have to go through. Aosp just seems cleaner and is usually more smooth. That's why people root to get that back.

It may not be a big deal to some, like it seems it's not to you. But for a lot it is pretty significant. It's personal preference.

I'm just throwing out a random number here but I bet like 1 in a thousand people want to even think about rooting a phone....

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter who made the phone. They work together with Samsung to make it. Its a nexus phone meaning its a Google phone. Besides Samsung has been making the best phones recently anyway so if anything this is the best of both worlds.

This phone will always be updated. The razr will be ancient history next month when the d4 comes out and some other cool Motorola phone with another catchy name like a bionic, razr, or terminator comes out.

Opinion there.....cuz if that really was the case, no one be returning G Nex or any other recent Samsung phone. No one has the "best" phone. Its just the best for that persons wants n needs. And some phones do things better than others. Some have louder speakers...out the box...some have better reception...out the box. And since no one has the perfect screen....its impossible for anyone to make the best phone.

If you think it doesnt matter who makes the phone.....ask all those Nexus S owners with a sketchy GPS. Glad Samsung learned from that with a better GPS chip. But who makes the phone does matter for some things. Wants n needs.....wants n needs....

And...if some issues with the G Nex turn out to be hardware related....how can you update that...... I forgot...updates make n break a phone. Never mind other things. Yea...I may just accept the G Nex delivery Wed. lol. I dont plan on exchanging it for another one...so it better come ready to work. Then again...aahh, decisions, decisions...lol.

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Ok, read this entire thread and had to delete a few posts.... Really guys? C'mon. No need to insult others over a phone!

Different people have different needs and prefference will vary. No need to insult someone who has a different phone than yours.

Seriously, grow up. :icon_ devil: Consider this your warning, I won't hand out PMs and will just start banning. Play nice. :D

Thanks.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea...its all about wants n needs. Always will be, no matter what anyone else says.

RAZR owners....is your phone smooth to you? Is Blur in your way? Liking your RAZR? Great.

G Nex owners.......happy with stock Android? Like the specs of your phone? Liking your G Nex? Great.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm just throwing out a random number here but I bet like 1 in a thousand people want to even think about rooting a phone....
This is true. But doesn't change the fact that there are many that do want to. Even if we are the minority. A Nexus for example is still going to be a good phone stock. Just gives a few more perks I suppose.

Honestly, these devices are too expensive and should be treated as such, if you have to resort to a video on YouTube to take your phone apart, you shouldn't take your phone apart, would you tear your engine apart to get to a cracked head gasket based on a video? No, its way too much of a headache if you screw something up or lose something, not to mention it can be quite costly (especially since a brand new device costs as much as a good used engine!)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
For people like you and me, I agree completely. But these people either work for a site/company and/or have sponsors that want them to do so, and can afford to do so. And I'm sure if they did mess up, these people are reimbursed. These people likely know what they're doing, so it's no problem for them to do it.

Last edited:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
You are aware that Moto just sent out another update for the OG, aren't you? That phone is over 2 years old and it was just updated again.

I'll have a new phone in 18 months because the Razr, Rezound, GN, D4, etc, will be ancient technology by then.

The OG was stock Android. It's easier to update phones that don't have skins.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Androidatic

Reaction score
Oh, so just because it's easier that's the only reason it was updated? Lol. I've now heard it all.

Then please explain the recent Droid X update.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The OG was stock Android. It's easier to update phones that don't have skins.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Agree.

Oh, so just because it's easier that's the only reason it was updated? Lol. I've now heard it all.

Agree.

lol

There was an HTC or LG, some phone...with stock Android that some phone with a skin got an OS update before it did. So just having stock Android doesnt necessarily mean faster updates. And having a skin, custom UI doesnt necessarily mean slowest updates. For the most part tho....stock Android devices do, could and should get updates the fastest.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Back to the dropped phone thing. Has anyone dropped a Razr when it was in a case and if so how did it survive?

Sad to say I've dropped every phone I've ever had but they were all in cases and survived.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know stuff happens hence why I rather shell out the extra for insurance. I bought the nexus retail and that is not something I want to do again hence why Have the insurance. Point is if you gonna get a 700 dollar phone might as well atleast get a case if you dont get the insurance. With that said JohnnytheK stuff happened. Heck I dropped one of my first nexus as I took it out of the box and was about to put it in its case, luckily it hit carpet. So yeah I can understand wanting to make sure the phone can take a drop. I know the nexus took a good one at the store as one dude took it out the box and it hit hard floor and all it did was scratch it. But I have seen phone survive a shoulder level drop and only get scratched while that same phone fall out a persons pocket as they are getting out of a car and it spiderwebs. Its a matter of how it lands.

Kimo91

Reaction score
I plan on getting an Otterbox for my Razr this weekend cause of the environment I work in and the fact even though I have a shell for it I keep hitting my phone on stands and such

Sent from my Boeing approved Moto DROID Razr

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

Well I would hope that they were going to update the bugs that they created. I do believe how easy a device is to update plays a factor in companies decision and how long it takes to update it though. Just my opinion.