Razr - Camera not working

kblank

Reaction score
Two days ago my camera app stopped working. The icon is there, but when you press it, it re-displays the home screen. Tech Support tried everything, including safe mode, re-boot and finally the re-init. Of course I spend the evening trying to locate contacts I lost, apps that no longer have my data in it and re-entering emails. I understand that this is a reported problem and may be fixed. If not I will get another phone (refurbished Razr) and have to start all over again. Maddening!

As a former software engineer, I do not understand why there is not a more user friendly app to back everyhting up prior to these support issues. what good it is to have third party apps if they are going to get wiped clean whenever. This is my second Razr, the first one quit working after two months of light use.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Welcome to the forum, and sorry for your troubles.

If you are willing to root your phone the go to back-up APP would be Titanium Backup, that will backup all your APPS and their data. As far as contacts I back all of mine up to Google, same for email, and they will even reload any APP you had installed upon restore which is nice.

They have SMS Backup Pro that will back up all your text messages if you are worried about that.

So they had you do a full factory data wipe and you still have a non-functioning camera? It seems that would have fixed the problem if it was software related, have you tried another camera APP from the Play Store such as Camera Zoom FX and see if your camera functions using that?

Sadly the tech support help at Verizon is pretty formulaic..

1. Reboot
2. Remove SIM
3. Hard Reset
4. Factory Data Reset
5. Dead air
6. Sending you a factory like new replacement

Order depending on which rep you are talking to but the out come is pretty much the same. I would say if your camera still does not work after doing a FDR, and trying another APP from the PS. Then you indeed need to get them to send you a like new replacement.

Wopback

Reaction score
kblank said:
Two days ago my camera app stopped working. The icon is there, but when you press it, it re-displays the home screen. Tech Support tried everything, including safe mode, re-boot and finally the re-init. Of course I spend the evening trying to locate contacts I lost, apps that no longer have my data in it and re-entering emails. I understand that this is a reported problem and may be fixed. If not I will get another phone (refurbished Razr) and have to start all over again. Maddening!

As a former software engineer, I do not understand why there is not a more user friendly app to back everyhting up prior to these support issues. what good it is to have third party apps if they are going to get wiped clean whenever. This is my second Razr, the first one quit working after two months of light use.

Awful day!!! This happened to me this morning. Did everything.....

Called Verizon and im getting a cln tomorrow. Get this though....i did a 5th fdr for "sh*ts and giggles" and now the phone works like new. Camera included....

Not chancing it. Im taking the replacement phone. Wish i knew what it was.......

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That's ^^ what I mean.... its odd because in android when doing an fdr... its supposed to be a one time fix.. but several times, especially with the razr, maxx line up... a single fdr leaves issues at times.. it has for me anyhow.. so you have to follow up with another fdr.. :confused:

Wopback

Reaction score
I even did the fdr that wipes everything internally........i noticed one thing though, my phone started acting weird when i set a couple smart actions. Did this to my OG Razr too. Wonder if its related somehow????

cal333

Reaction score
I had the same problem - RAZR MAXX camera quit working - I loaded another camera widget but that also failed - I tried every technique short of a full data dump (which was last resort) to no avail - due to a suggestion from another blogger I dumped all recent new widgets thinking maybe one of those might have crashed the camera - no joy on that either, although I suspect that "stock tracker" widget might have been the culprit since the reboots after loading that seemed to take a very long time - last night I forgot to plug my RAZR charger in so the battery went to zero and the phone shut itself down - when the charger was plugged in this morning it indicated "0%" and I had to do a manual restart - the reboot time went back to normal and now the camera works again! - worth trying if your camera has quit functioning! - just let the battery drain to zero so that the RAZR shuts down

jaye712

Reaction score
I think its ics related.This happened to me a couple weeks ago for 4 days str8 n all of sudden it works agian.i would jst get a camera app frm the playstore n disable the stock camera

Edited:eek:pps,i jst realized this was frm 08/12

Last edited:

ddfuji

Reaction score
i had a similar problem but my camera was dead dead, i couldnt use the led for a flashlight, third party camera apps wouldnt work either, phone camera wouldnt work, im pretty sure i caused it by all the crazy stuff i was doing with my phone at the time but i never got it fixed, not matter how many times i rsd'd or data reset it remained broken, went on about 2 months like this, eventually got a new phone.

jaye712

Reaction score
ddfuji said:
i had a similar problem but my camera was dead dead, i couldnt use the led for a flashlight, third party camera apps wouldnt work either, phone camera wouldnt work, im pretty sure i caused it by all the crazy stuff i was doing with my phone at the time but i never got it fixed, not matter how many times i rsd'd or data reset it remained broken, went on about 2 months like this, eventually got a new phone.

Ouchh..i barley use my camera,only 5% of the time n it had problems.anyway,its ridiculous how the littlest things can screw up

215 G.I JANE/OORAHH

bcsister

Reaction score
My camera stopped responding, too. App was there, but when the icon was pressed, the home screen was re-displayed. I did a manual restart today and the
problem is fixed! :D