RazR as @Home Internet source for Router

SSG_Steggy

Reaction score
Back in the days of dial-up and DSL, I have a slight memory of bridging connections and also of connecting to the internet THROUGH another computer. Do the capabilities exist in order to use this OLD technology?

Here's my thought:
Love my Rooted RazR - would like to use my Razr and WiFi tether to connect laptop to internet, then using X-over cable (if necessary??) connect to MODEM port on wireless router so that all other wired peripherals could then use my RazR WiFi.

Am I over the top in my thinking?

joshxdroid

Reaction score
It is possible to share a computers internet connection. I have hooked my xbox to my laptop and used my phone tethered to that. There are videos on YouTube showing how to do that. The only problem is speed.

P.s.welcome to the forum

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Here's a link to a video. This process might get you started doing what you want

[video=youtube;AsJ-BqEsLEQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJ-BqEsLEQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

BanditRider

Reaction score
Google Wireless Bridge you can buy a dedicated wireless bridge or configure your router to be a wireless bridge.

robert70

Reaction score
I think you'll find that speeds will be far less than you would like, IMO. However anything is worth a shot, and as long as your rooted and tethering,, why not try! My only question is- how will, that affect data ? Are you unlimited? Does the root bypass that? I'm apparently not rooted so that's an honest question, I want to root but I'm afraid I'll brick my phone.

Sent from my wicked sharp razr!

joshxdroid

Reaction score
robert70 said:
I think you'll find that speeds will be far less than you would like, IMO. However anything is worth a shot, and as long as your rooted and tethering,, why not try! My only question is- how will, that affect data ? Are you unlimited? Does the root bypass that? I'm apparently not rooted so that's an honest question, I want to root but I'm afraid I'll brick my phone.

Sent from my wicked sharp razr!

Root wouldn't bypass data consumption. I think he's probably unlimited, or you wouldn't be wanting to tether your entire network. I wonder how much data that could use. Lol

furbymac

Reaction score
My asus router has a setting to act as a repeater. Maybe that could work.