Razr 4G sucks!!!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
We have full coverage all over here in Austin, Tx and getting a signal is not ever a problem for me. However speeds don't seem to be that impressive, the tests I have done around town have yielded about 5-7mbps download speed and the same 5mbps upload as well. Now as far as upload speed that is good but I feel download should be better than that. I get around 22mbps at home on WIFI, and I test 3G around town and got around 10mbps if I remember correctly. So I have been using my phone on CDMA only since I got it since 4G uses more battery and does not seem to be any faster for me at least.

nubia

Reaction score
Go to market and get motorola connectivity settings.... Its an app that resets your data settings and works unbelievable well..... Go get it you will be very happy you did

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

tonydelite

Reaction score
We have full coverage all over here in Austin, Tx and getting a signal is not ever a problem for me. However speeds don't seem to be that impressive, the tests I have done around town have yielded about 5-7mbps download speed and the same 5mbps upload as well. Now as far as upload speed that is good but I feel download should be better than that. I get around 22mbps at home on WIFI, and I test 3G around town and got around 10mbps if I remember correctly. So I have been using my phone on CDMA only since I got it since 4G uses more battery and does not seem to be any faster for me at least.

You did not get 10Mbps on 3G. It's closer to 1Mbps. The theoretical limit for EVDO Rev. A (What Verizon uses for 3G) is 3Mbps. Typical speeds are far below that.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Don't ever speak of theoretical limits lol.....I can sit next to a tower, have -36 dbm (awesome signal qaulity), at 3 in the morning and only manage 2500 at the most.

Your speeds don't suck, its the area you are in and the amount of usage going on that sucks.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You did not get 10Mbps on 3G. It's closer to 1Mbps. The theoretical limit for EVDO Rev. A (What Verizon uses for 3G) is 3Mbps. Typical speeds are far below that.

Which is why I used the words "if I remember correctly", which I obviously didn't. Just redid a test on 3G and got 2mbps down and 1mbps up, but the point is moot anyway. The whole point is the 4G speeds suck around here for me so far, which is why the phone stays on CDMA only.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Sydman check your pm and contest winner thread for crying out loud lol

Sent from Droid RAZR

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
For those interested in the follow-up to my dealings with Verizon.

Tech support called back to say that their engineers did a test in the field and got back. They said all towers in my area are fully operational, that there is no outages, nothing has been decommed or changed, and that the signal was within distance tolerances.

The drive by suggested that they were still able to get a 4G signal at my house, but did lose it about a half mile away (didn't say direction).

I told them this didn't make sense since from 11/11 until 3 weeks ago I was getting 4G in the house with speeds in the 40 Mbps range!! So tech support overnighted a new Razr. I am going to give it a shot to see how it performs. If it can''t get 4G either then we know it is a signal problem, and I don't think Verizon is going to own up to any changes.

Personally I think they did somethig directional with the tower to my south in order to service more in another area. Just a hunch. I had a similar thing happen several years ago with DSL. Had DSL for 2 months (I live in rural area), then it quit working. AT&T engineers said I was too far from the junction to get DSL, but could never explain to me why I had it for the first 2 months. Talked to someone in telecommunications and they said they probably took the bandwidth from my area to service a new sub-division (this was in the peak of the housing boom).

jacel86

Reaction score
The only issue I have with my phone seems to be a common problem...connectivity. Yes, I lost internet during the outages over the entire network. Yes, switching between 4g and 3g I'll lose it temporarily.

Where I'm stumped is sitting dead still anywhere, and I mean anywhere (perfect 3g or 4g connection), a page that's loading will slow to a halt and bam. Dropped connection. Sometimes it comes back instantly, sometimes it takes 10 MINUTES. Sometimes it works great after or sometimes it's a series of on again off again for an hour. Had a week where it was every day, and have had weeks where it never happened.

I've tried lots of the tricks posted: airplane mode on/off, 3g only settings, power off/on. They do nothing. Completely random.

Any ideas?

adavis609

Reaction score
The only issue I have with my phone seems to be a common problem...connectivity. Yes, I lost internet during the outages over the entire network. Yes, switching between 4g and 3g I'll lose it temporarily.

Where I'm stumped is sitting dead still anywhere, and I mean anywhere (perfect 3g or 4g connection), a page that's loading will slow to a halt and bam. Dropped connection. Sometimes it comes back instantly, sometimes it takes 10 MINUTES. Sometimes it works great after or sometimes it's a series of on again off again for an hour. Had a week where it was every day, and have had weeks where it never happened.

I've tried lots of the tricks posted: airplane mode on/off, 3g only settings, power off/on. They do nothing. Completely random.

Any ideas?

I have the exact same problem with mine. I'm just hoping that gets fixed in the next update...are you going to do anything about it like call verizon or try to get a replacement razr or just wait it out?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Reaction score
It sucks because of the 4g signal that's it? I was really hoping this thread had some in depth reason cause I was trying to figure out what my next phone is going to be with my upcoming upgrade. I can handle the 4g Sucking LOL

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
It sucks because of the 4g signal that's it? I was really hoping this thread had some in depth reason cause I was trying to figure out what my next phone is going to be with my upcoming upgrade. I can handle the 4g Sucking LOL

It definitely does not suck. It has some 4G connectivity issues depending on your area/signal strength, but it is a great phone.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I can sit in my lazyboy where I have good 4g, but by alternating between portrait and panoramic screens the signal comes and goes. Antenna in the phone.

Living on the razr's edge, "strop" aside.

HRod08

Reaction score
My Razr 4G doesn't suck. Switching back and forth from 3G to 4G is smooth and I have never lost connectivity. Got mine 11/10/11.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums