RAZR 4G Data Problems & Improve Battery Life Temp Fix - Quick Tip

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola-Droid-RAZR-verizon-phone-1.jpg

If you are one of the rare users that is experiencing data connection issues with your new Droid RAZR, we thought we'd share an idea with you that can temporarily mitigate the issue, and possible improve your battery life as well. Even though this little quick tip is really common sense, it is still useful if you haven't thought of it. Also, keep in mind that this is really just a temp fix until Verizon/Motorola works out a more permanent fix for the issue. Here's the tip:
You have to go into settings, wireless networks, mobile networks, network mode, then tap CDMA only. It will be 3G only, but it will have more success keeping the data connection. After doing so you will lose connection for a second, then it will come back at 3g strong. With this fix, we haven't lost data at all in testing. Also, we experienced better battery life while using this, because it isn't trying so hard to reestablish the data connection all the time, and of course it is only operating in 3G mode. ~danDroid
So, there you have it guys... a decent temp solution, until the issue gets a permanent fix. Obviously, it isn't perfect, because no-one wants to be without their 4G speeds permanently, but it could save you some hassle and frustration for a while. ;)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I'd like to get a check in the mail from Moto and VZW for beta testing their flaky phones and 4G network. Or at the very least some sort of thank you!

srgolub

Reaction score
I'd like to get a check in the mail from Moto and VZW for beta testing their flaky phones and 4G network. Or at the very least some sort of thank you!

Surprising and disappointing that the RAZR has this issue considering the Bionic had (still has for most people) an identical issue which was fixed in the maintenance release they're about to push out (I have it installed and it works flawlessly now). Why they would launch a flagship device with a major flaw that they're obviously able to fix is a mystery.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well that sucks.

First time I've heard of the problem with the Razr, though considering the Bionic had these problems it doesn't surprise me.

Chocula78

Reaction score
This fix doesn't help me

I have no connection at all on 3G. My 4g seems ok, wifi works, but my 3g connection is completely f'ed. I'm exchanging my phone tonight for new one.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
This makes me a little skeptical about getting this phone, but it's not too late for the Nexus to come out and have problems either so we'll wait and see.

Captmilk

Reaction score
Surprising and disappointing that the RAZR has this issue considering the Bionic had (still has for most people) an identical issue which was fixed in the maintenance release they're about to push out (I have it installed and it works flawlessly now). Why they would launch a flagship device with a major flaw that they're obviously able to fix is a mystery.

is it a file that you can post

eshef

Reaction score
It's not a total fix. I've been on CDMA only from the start (Saturday) and still managed to drop data once. But that was the only time - that I know of ;). Other than that it's been great, and I haven't had a problem with battery life.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
This isn't a fix. If my Corvette keeps stalling, unplugging 6 of the 8 spark plug wires is not a solution.

One of the main reasons to get this phone is 4G. To disable that defeats the purpose. Why would you even consider accepting that as a "solution"??

Luckily, mine works fine, else it would be going back.

vonfink13

Reaction score
i havent lost data connnection on my razr but i thought would be nice to be able to turn LTE on and off...tried it and the 3g never came up...i even powered down and back up...just regular bars..no 3g..switched it back and now i am back on lte..odd...

dustinslee

Reaction score
My razr holds data perfectly .... I did notice when I first activated the phone it wasn't acting right but I guess it was figuring everything out

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Kasey

Reaction score
I'm feeling pretty fortunate. Both 3G and 4G work just fine on my Razr. I get pretty good battery life using JuiceDefender, easily getting through a day with moderate data and voice use. My company is addicted to Conference Calls and I'm a remote employee. I love my Razr.

:icon_ banana:

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
At least moto working on a fix quickly. When the thunderbolt came with all sorts of battery issues and reboots, took them a while. Thanks to our lovely developers who helped us with those issues :icon_ banana:

vonfink13

Reaction score
i hear a lot of people talking about juice defender..i assume you guys recommend it..??..it makes a big difference..?

Last edited: