Rate the Motorola Droid

jbracking

Reaction score
I have been in the tech world for 40 years and have switched to AT&T twice for the i phone only to move back to Verizon with a blackberry for quality of service. The i phone's user interface is more intuitive but limits the depth of configuration. The learning curve is more difficult because you have more flexibility on what to change. I got gmail and exchange to wotk first time and I have not experienced the reboots I see being discussed. I suspect a substantial number of these issues are caused by incorrect configuration and application that were installed that were dependent on android 1.6 or an earlier version. It is new hardware and a new version of the operation system but not bad for first use and updates are already planned. Yes I want voice over blue tooth and I REALLY need to be able to change font size but this phone and especially the OS have more potential than any other smart phone I have ever used including the blackberry. The camera is not good for now but as long as the hardware is solid software will fix it over time. You can get HTML email for exchange with the blackberry if you want to spend $4k or you can get free with this phone. I have had my phone since the first day and I waited to make comments until I had some time with the phone and I will say it again. Thanks Verizon, Motorola and Goggle for bringing a good phoen to the market with a ton of potential.

Reaction score
great phone... but keyboard lacks and bluetooth vd doesn't work. Update will fix that but not fix the keyboard.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Ill give it a 3.5

I wont focus on the negatives here. Its a first gen phone. The updates coming up in the coming months will fix many issues. And I really hope they release the source code.

Kalian

Reaction score
I gave it a 4 but really it would be something like 4.8 or 4.9 if it was an option. My two minor complaints are battery life, and a squished keyboard which aren't usually a problem for me but my battery has run low a couple times after using the phone to take pictures and shoot video and I found that pretty inconvenient.

I don't think either should be a discouraging factor if you're on the fence about purchasing this phone. The navigation feature is off the hook with voice activated search that has worked accurately, and which i've constantly been using since day 1; the phone gets great reception when on the road and the OS runs almost flawlessly which is notable for a 1st gen phone.

Most of the problems people experience with this phone is software related. That's a great sign because those can be fixed with time

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im also voting a 5 but really a 4.5 It's a great phone i just want Android to get better, which i know it will. Verizon if you deliver OTA updates, you just got a new biggest fan.

bpad10

Reaction score
I've had it for 1 week and haven't set it down yet.....I absolutely LOVE this phone....10 out of 5!!!

Skrat982

Reaction score
I rather like this phone. Rated a 4, but could be a 5. Mine does some random and unexplainable shut downs and tends to lock up if I move to quickly from one button or touch to another. Hopefully bug fixes!! Also when using the nav program my phone seemed to feel unusually warm. Other small issues to resove, but hopefully resoved mostly on 12/11. Don't miss the BB one bit!!

[email protected]

Reaction score
Fixed initial echo problem

Initially I had very bad echo to the point where nobody wanted to talk with me. I did *228 and so far has fixed the problem. So is that remains ok (no echo) I am happy with the phone.:icon_ banana:

jgminno

Reaction score
:icon_ banana::mad:Not bad,like most of the "stuff'' i've tried.Seems 2 have the iphone people on there heels. Had tour,dare,storm2,&droid. All were bad. Who's that lucky.......

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:icon_ banana::mad:Not bad,like most of the "stuff'' i've tried.Seems 2 have the iphone people on there heels. Had tour,dare,storm2,&droid. All were bad. Who's that lucky.......

Not sure what you mean here. You had the Tour, LG Dare, The S2 (Odin) and all were bad? or all had an echo? How go you rate the droid by comparison to them?

pennypritty1

Reaction score
Honestly, I gave it a 3... for most reasons that are already posted (reboot, poor camera quality, video's okay could be better, keyboard's a big issue for me) etc...

One thing that I'm finding is I absolutely have to invest in a headset because I hate using the phone against my ear. when riding public transportation, i was talking on the phone and at one particular but, the "insides" of the phone bounced and shut my conversation off. That was very strange to me, weird! I'm not happy with the lack of ability to fully use the screen fully when watching my Doctor Who. The video's sort of mushed together and I can't see a way to widen it. The screen's perfect for widescreen enjoyment and there's no way to manipulate it to take advantage of that... I'm hoping that will be a fix in the future... I certainly pay Verizon enough to have these issues fixed.

Now before you really guys attack me for my opinions or lack of knowledge for this phone causing me to give it a 3... I'm only answering the question of the topic and offering my reasons why. I love this phone... I really do. I never had the iphone, and wanted the iphone but I did NOT want at&t and was breaking down to reconsidering getting the iphone when the droid came to life. I count some of my voting to lack of knowledge for this phone as well.

I honestly think this phone is priceless to the "tech geek" (now that's a compliment, so don't get upset with the name) ;)... who know how to fully immerse themselves in to getting the best out of this droid. But I'm a tech geek'ette wannabe. I'm no where near there and hope to become one with the help of this forum.

I'm here to learn, share and get the best out of this phone cuz I really like it and wanna give it a 10!! It's not going anywhere so, consider this positive feedback. :)

pennypritty1

Reaction score
sorry, that was supposed to say "at one particular bouncy bump..." when I was on the bus... I wasn't able to preview this before submitting...

YA123

Reaction score
From what I've seen the Droid looks great. But if Verizon forces me into a Data plan, it won't be so great.