Rate the Motorola Droid

souljerr

Reaction score
As a phone I rated a 5, I could care less about the camera because I prefer using my Samsung L220 to snap photos. Anyhow, the speaker phone is really nice, I don't have to have the phone up by my mouth for the other person to hear me on the call, unlike my Razer did. I can actually place the phone next to my CPU and multitask easily, without losing sound quality, that is a big plus, besides, who likes holding a phone up to their ear while chatting online.

Loving my DROID!

:gotmyvote:

I actually don't use the camera that often but when I do I'd like it to be better. Agree on the speaker phone. As a side - I was going to replace my Jawbone 2 bluetooth because it didn't work well with my other phone but with the Droid it works perfectly.

Blackout

Reaction score
I gave it a 4.5 but i said 5, I think if Verizon/Google listen to us..which theyve already shown they can do by making Droid in the first place and just put a well made update to the device to cover the few software issues/interests we all have such as pinch zoom and the glitch for the echo on phone calls then it will be a 5 and Blow the iPhone off its high perch. I love my Droid way more then my iPhone, the only thing i wish is that some of the Devs that make games for iPhoen come over to the Droid side, because Android really lacks on the Game end right now. But im sure now with this Beast of a phone out there we will see alot more apps coming our way.

SPG900NY

Reaction score
What can I say? I've become a fanboy, and I do not EVER gush over electronic devices.

The barcode scanner is awesome. I was in home depot buying a cordless drill and found reviews while I was in there based on the UPC. The GPS is awesome, drag-and-drop MP3's way cool (who needs "library managment"?), love the Gmail integration... I'm just way sold on this phone. It just gets the way I think.

Now if only Verizon had adequately stocked the multimedia dock...

Blackout

Reaction score
What can I say? I've become a fanboy, and I do not EVER gush over electronic devices.

The barcode scanner is awesome. I was in home depot buying a cordless drill and found reviews while I was in there based on the UPC. The GPS is awesome, drag-and-drop MP3's way cool (who needs "library managment"?), love the Gmail integration... I'm just way sold on this phone. It just gets the way I think.

Now if only Verizon had adequately stocked the multimedia dock...

No nead for that MM Dock, just use the DockRunner app, i mean I guess the stand is nice to have, but if ya cant find/ cant afford it for now, get the Dockrunner app, I found the GPS stand much more usefull than the dock

castalia

Reaction score
The phone is a solid 4 for me right. The fact that claim to do VPN but don't do IPSEC GroupNames and GroupPass is a bit annoying. The camera (as stated everywhere) could be better, but I don't really care about that. Overall I love the phone, but man o man do I need this VPN issue addressed.

Fun22

Reaction score
I give it a high 4. Why? I've had it restart on me quite a few times, not sure if it's a software issue. It seems to happen when the phone is sitting unused for a while, when I go to check my messages etc... it happens. It would be nice to have more screen's. I'm not fond of how blurry your pictures get when setting the wallpaper. If there was a program developed that you could set a full picture for each screen, that would certainly up my rating. Feedback is always welcome. :)

hazydave

Reaction score
I give it a 5. That's not a claim of perfection, but simply that it meets or exceeds my expectations all around.

Even on the weak points... well, really, what do you expect? The camera ain't grand, it's true. Some of that is definitely the camera app... the poor white balance and odd focus seeking behavior is definitely a software thing, and will hopefully be fixed (my Panasonic TZ5 had some focusing issues when new, updates fixed that). No, it's not as good as a "real" camera... the only clue you need to start with is the lens. The video was actually surprisingly good... better, in bright light, than some consumer camcorders. The TZ5's not hardly as good as my Nikon DSLR, either.. there's a proper tier for these things. This camera is much better than the one on previous cellphones, so that's enough. For now.

Battery life... hmm, I'm using it pretty often, and getting down to 30-40% by 2-4AM, when I plug it into the charger. There's a danger in multitasking... if you leave a power hungry app up, it WILL suck power. Try one of those GPS stats apps if you don't believe it... it'll clobber your battery in a few hours. Not a fault, it's a feature... at least you CAN leave something running. There are application management apps to automatically kill things you specify. Ideally, any power hungry app would be smart enough to do this on its own... some work still needed here.

Really, nothing bad for me. I did move my contacts from the Palm program to Google... instant, automatic syncing doesn't suck, nor does the ability to get these anywhere. I'm skeptical about some "cloud" applications, but this is a great example of one that works. I even set up Gmail, though it's aliased such that it looks like its my email server from the outside world -- good stuff, easy as pie. The browser -- best ever on a portable. The screen is amazing... good enough for reading ebooks in portrait mode (Aldiko is a nice ePub reader). I like the "Home" concept in Android so much better than the ever-present-panel-of-apps in iPod/iPhone. I put the things I need fast right there, always have the option of looking through the apps list for other stuff. And voice-driven Google search, any time, any place, is just too cool.

DroidBoy

Reaction score
Coming from the iPhone the Droid is very impressive. There are some minor things that can probably be changed with a software upgrade (no "delete all" for items in the trash) and Droid hangs sometimes when retrieving large email files. Has to be restarted. In general, a great phone. More Apps, more apps, more apps. Miss the iPhone apps.

nite 0wl

Reaction score
After almost a week of having (and using, heavily) the Droid I'd give it a solid 4.5. The hardware is great and Android 2.0 is fantastic.
The only reason I won't give it a 5/5 is the weird issue with the home screen orientation not changing with the rotation of the phone past the first day or two AND the occasional issue with dropping/not handing off between data connections.

nolanandy

Reaction score
I give Droid a 3. To be honest, you're must be anti-apple or anti-iphone to give the Droid a 5. There are bugs (check the bug forum), apps are not easy to install as the iphone especially to those non hi-tech people; sync-ing music/movies is a big minus; camera is so friendly user; keyboard is not as slick as the RIMM (IMO, Droid should not include the keyboard, people will get use to the visual one like iphone. This would bring down some weight, and probably make a Droid looks better too)...There are more, but for these...I can give it a 5.

sir

Reaction score
I give Droid a 3. To be honest, you're must be anti-apple or anti-iphone to give the Droid a 5. There are bugs (check the bug forum), apps are not easy to install as the iphone especially to those non hi-tech people; sync-ing music/movies is a big minus; camera is so friendly user; keyboard is not as slick as the RIMM (IMO, Droid should not include the keyboard, people will get use to the visual one like iphone. This would bring down some weight, and probably make a Droid looks better too)...There are more, but for these...I can give it a 5.

Not as easy to install apps? with an iPhone i had to install an app, watch the program get closed, scroll back to the app store icon, reopen the app, then continue on my merry way. How is that easier than the Market where I find the app I want, click on it, click Install, and it take care of its business while I go on my way looking for other stuff?

Of course there are bugs. It's bleeding edge hardware on bleeding edge software. If you didn't realize that before buying it that's no one's fault but your own. The original iPhone with the original software is a pile compared to where they are now. How many versions and bug fixes have gone into the iPhone to make it what it is today? And they only have to worry about the hardware that they decide to support! Developing an open piece of software which caters to as many people as possible, across as much hardware as possible, is something Apple would never attempt to do because they can't. Their comfort zone is in developing software for hardware they can control.

Syncing music for the iPhone...add the file to my iTunes library, wait for the gapless playback and artwork download to finish, sync, realize the ID3 tag wasn't set right so it f'd up the artist name and album, go back and fix it, rinse-repeat. How is that easier than "put the files on the phone and open the music app"?

There are a hoejillion people out there with opinions and preferences about everything, especially keyboards. Touch, physical, landscape, portrait, concave, convex, flat, rubber, plastic, larger, smaller, etc. You can't please the world, so you do what you want to do to appeal to the market you want to sell it to. They went this route, and I'm sure they'll come up with a device without a keyboard.

I'm not saying you can't give it a 3 because they are your opinions, but I will say that you MUST be an iPhone fanboy if you're going to accuse everyone who gave it a 5 of being anti-iPhone and anti-Apple.

BTW - I owned a 3G and went to the Droid. I don't feel like listening to Steve Jobs telling me what I'm supposed to like anymore. I got stuff to do and I need a phone that can do it. the iPhone couldn't hack it anymore.

nite 0wl

Reaction score
...you're must be anti-apple or anti-iphone to give the Droid a 5.

I will freely admit to having a vehement hatred of Apple, it's iProducts and much of it's staff. But that largely stems from my hatred of duplicity and doublespeak, oh and the fact that I have yet to meet one of their employees who didn't want to burn me at the stake for not sharing their exact opinions about everything.

BTW - I owned a 3G and went to the Droid. I don't feel like listening to Steve Jobs telling me what I'm supposed to like anymore. I got stuff to do and I need a phone that can do it. the iPhone couldn't hack it anymore.

Never listen to a man who spent much of his life dropping acid instead of paying attention to what it was that his company did or how it's products worked.

nolanandy

Reaction score
WTH...I bought a Droid mainly because it on VZ. I rated it a 3 and gave you why I gave it a 3. I hope Droid will do well to. PEACE...

Slighter

Reaction score
Big mistake reading this thread. Verizon finally takes the blanket off the cave with this phone. Still there is no pleasing some people. If it came with a limo full of strippers and a fully stocked bar would that be enough? Didn't think so.