Rate the Motorola Droid

Finnstang

Reaction score
I gave the Droid a 3 because I'm finding a lot of things about it not really user friendly. Things that on my old "dumb phone" were easy to program and use, I still haven't been able to find on my droid, such as being able to assign different ring tones to different people in my contact list. I only got the phone yesterday (Sunday 11/08), so I'm still learning about it, and the people at the Verizon store didn't know how to do very much on it. I figured a lot of things out today, and I think as time goes on and I learn more about it I will like it much more. Over all I think it's a good phone, it just could me more user friendly.
In response to the bolded - Go to Contacts...choose the contact...click Menu...Click Options...then you can set their Ringtone.

Digiabyss

Reaction score
Best phone yet as far as I'm concerned. The specs are right on and so far living up to my expectations. I jumped ship away from Sprint Hero to VZW for this phone just because of the Android platform ,built on linux, which is a lot more robust than Iphone's closed unix iteration. The 'Droid' brings a real quality product to the Android hardware family and hopefully it will get a lot more developers on board. We'll just have to see how it shakes out over the next few months.

Spanky

Reaction score
I gave it a 4/5 only because a few small flaws. One being the poor camera picture quality. Also, earlier today, I couldn't reply to text msgs using the on-screen keyboard.

Nothing too big though. I would have given it a 4.5/5 if I could have.

seaman

Reaction score
I would give the Motorola Droid a 4.5 overall. I really like the Android platform, it's perfect for me - good for personanl and professional use and it's fun. I have very few complaints - the camera is disappointing and I wish the screen would light up when a new text message is received. Also, the accelerometer can be slow at times. All of these things are very minor though, and definitely don't bother me enough to regret purchasing this phone.

dannydoes

Reaction score
Well, I must say I'm a fan. But I can't give it a 5 out of 5. I'll just hit the negatives since there are so many positives... The camera is pretty crappy, even though it's 5 megapixel, the auto focus only works sometimes, and the shutter lag is long... and the picture viewer is a bit lame for a touch screen this good. The fact that there is no way to exit programs or know if they are running or not without an app that I have to manually hit everytime I turn off the phone to make sure the apps are exited and not draining precious power. Seems a big miss from the manufacturer to me. Most videos cannot be expanded to use the entire screen seems dumb to me as well. It makes me wonder what's the point of having the screen real estate if I can't use it? But other than those few issues, I love love love this phone.

MelWright

Reaction score
My Droid

I LOVE my new Droid!!! Just got it last night, and I have never had a smart phone before but my hubby has the BB storm, and I have played with it alot, and thought it was what I wanted until the droid came out. And I have no problem with it whatsoever, it's awesmoe.... so glad I didn't get a BB!!!

sir

Reaction score
I'm voting a 4. Don't get me wrong, everything that's functional about this phone is a 5. But the stuff that I'm missing (VPN for work being a big one) drops it down to a 4.5, so I had to go to a 4.

But I have faith that being open source, and Motorola, VZW, and Google all actively looking to squash bugs as they come up to make this phone a huge success, I can surely give it a 5 over time.

Leckert123

Reaction score
Rating would have been a 3.5 but dropping to a 3. I'm waiting my full 30 days before rating it, and deciding whether or not to keep my iPhone. Here's why I have it as a 3 (my iPhone is either a 4 or a 2 depending on whether it just locked up when I received a phone call).

Significant Misses (vs iPhone)
Bluetooth inoperative with visual voicemail
Visual voicemail cannot operate while Wifi connection is established
No native Notes/Memo application - and no way to sync downloaded apps to Outlook
Email - cannot bcc oneself. Cannot assign signature
Battery life is horrendous
Browser has no forward button
No integrated way to shut down or "X" out of applications (without using manual add-on app)
Lacks ringer on/off button
HTML pictures in email cannot be zoomed in or out -
Physical keyboard present, but is mediocre at best.
Inconsistent menus - Haptic feedback cannot be disabled on the phone keypad.

Major Pluses
Sound quality really good both on calls and with streaming audio
Fantastic screen resolution
Has a physical keyboard
Solid Bluetooth connection to my headsets and Zumo GPS
Apps faster and easier to install than iPhone
Good app selection and decent quality - Most apps I need have been available
GPS Navigation and voice command is impressive (with car dock)
Greater customization ability than iPhone.

Heck, maybe this list would be better suited for a features pro/con thread for the phone.

Leckert123

Reaction score
Oh, the reason for the 3 instead of 3.5 is the horrendous lack of integration of visual voicemail. It's a separate app, not integrated into the phone menu, and doesn't work when on WiFi or when using a BlueTooth headset. Pathetic.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i waited all weekend to rate this. i wanted to give it a fair run before i put a number to it.. the best way i can describe my experience is as follows:
i spend a LOT of time surfing the internet. it was frustrating (infuriating really) on my blackberry, so i carry my netbook with me everywhere. i was even debating picking up the mobile broadband connect plan so i could use it anywhere without having to suffer through the blackberry browser. well that was what i had grown accustomed to. i got my droid friday the 6th around lunch time, and didn't touch my netbook until monday evening. i know, exactly..

mynamesjose

Reaction score
I bought the HTC Imagio a week before the Droid. I hated it after 2 days. It was slow, laggy, and froze. I went a returned the Imagio two days ago and got the droid. I already like it 100 time more. I love the look, the feel, everything about it. I've always liked Motorola phones. I had a Q9m for 2 years and loved it till the end when it was dying. Huge props to motorola on this phone.

808droid

Reaction score
As a phone I rated a 5, I could care less about the camera because I prefer using my Samsung L220 to snap photos. Anyhow, the speaker phone is really nice, I don't have to have the phone up by my mouth for the other person to hear me on the call, unlike my Razer did. I can actually place the phone next to my CPU and multitask easily, without losing sound quality, that is a big plus, besides, who likes holding a phone up to their ear while chatting online.

Loving my DROID!

:gotmyvote: