Rare Phone for Anime Fans in Japan: Neon Genesis Evangelion SH-06D Limited Edition

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nerve-sh-06dtop.jpg

This article is obviously not Verizon based, since it entails a phone that is only going to be released in Japan; however, the idea was cool enough (especially for Anime fans) that we thought it worth sharing. Android fans living in Japan who also happen to be Anime fans (and especially Evangelion fans), you may want to take not of this story. The Japanese carrier NTT DoCoMo will soon be offering a very limited edition Neon Genesis Evangelion NERV Edition SH-06D Android smartphone. Both the external aesthetics of the phone, and the version of Android have been heavily modified to fit the Evangelion theme. Here's a quote with some additional details:

It appears there will only be 10,000 of the phones available, with 3,000 sold via NTT DoCoMo's online store starting June 29th over three days, with 1,000 of them going on sale each day at noon. The rest will be sold at other retailers with preorders kicking off June 16th and although there's no price specified, we're expecting it to be around 25,000 - 30,000 yen with a two year contract. As we saw when the phone was announced in March, it features a heavily customized case, hardware buttons and 3D Android 2.3 skin designed to reflect its heritage. Getting one may require some camping out either in front of a store or on the carrier's website (in Japan of course, we don't expect ot see any of these overseas), but at least it's got to be easier than life in Tokyo-3.

Here is a themed "in-universe" story video designed to showcase the origins of the phone:

[video=youtube;Ouf4LfIxuo8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ouf4LfIxuo8[/video]​

What do you guys think? Do you think "themed" Android phones would sell well here in the United States? Would you get one?

Source: Engadget

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
How well did the R2-D2 Droid 2 do?

I think it's interesting, but I think different colored phones are more popular then themed ones in the USA. Now, for Japan that's a different story. I mean, they come out with like 20+ themed PS3, PSP, DS, 3DS, etc. every month. So, something like this would do great there, but probably not here.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Saw this a while back and I was kinda curious... I'm borderline otaku. I've been watching anime, Japanese dramas, and live action movies for many many years and I preffer it over american tv... I loved Evangelion but not sure about that phone... hmmm Too much going on, on that screen...

oh and subs>dubs! Dubbed anime just sucks! Original Japanese language with english subs all day everyday!

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Saw this a while back and I was kinda curious... I'm borderline otaku. I've been watching anime, Japanese dramas, and live action movies for many many years and I preffer it over american tv... I loved Evangelion but not sure about that phone... hmmm Too much going on, on that screen...

oh and subs>dubs! Dubbed anime just sucks! Original Japanese language with english subs all day everyday!
The phone is kinda cool, but ya, I agree. Really, really busy..

And agree with that as well. The only dub I like versus sub though is DBZ (the version played on Toonami, not sure if it's Ocean Dub or what).

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Busy, schmizy, give me that now! Only thing that could top that: G.I.T.S. custom Androids, with optical camo of course. I can guarantee they will sell every one of those. As to here in the U.S. definitely if they made them available on the major carriers or sold them as world phones. I would buy the crap out of that. Mmmmm, nerdy spider senses are on full blast.

funwheeldrive

Reaction score

There are plenty of high quality dubs out there. Subs are nice, but its not always convenient.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
There are plenty of high quality dubs out there. Subs are nice, but its not always convenient.

It's just not the same. To me at least... Nothing like great Japanese voice acting.... I watch 'em all on PC download or stream. Animeultima is one of my fav sites. Thousands of series in Japanese. Most current ones too, still airing in Japan. Tons of great fansub groups out there. A true otaku/anime addict will tell ya, that subs are the way to go :p... some prefer to watch them raw (no subs) over dubs lol.

Not sure what you mean by convenience, there's far more subbed anime series over dubbed ones. They only dub animes when they are licensed in North America and not even 5% of Japanese anime get licensed.

Ok, I'll shut up now. To each his own I guess. ;) Sorry, I get serious when it comes to anime. Been watching them for over 20 years...

ntrddragn

Reaction score
anime fan here :D I would get it. i would think theme phone would do well...a cool theme that is with proper specs and marketing. I mean theme sneakers do really well when its design by a known artist/group. And making it limited batches. Get me the Akira, Ghost in the shell, Robotech, Gundam, voltron theme also. LMAO Oh yeah some ninja scrolls would be nice too. :icon_ banana:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The busyness of the screen makes me want it even more. It seems complicated, which means no one in my family would want to touch it. LOL But seriously, it looks very technical and nerdy...my cup of tea.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
If I lived in Japan and 65,000 Yen lying around, I'd definitely purchase one of these bad boys off-contract. :biggrin: Evangelion is one of my favorite anime series of all time!

sampsonX2

Reaction score
Yes I would, this is very cool. I would love a factory themed android phone. I am assuming they would have to find something equally popular % of population wise in america but it would be very cool.

Some examples of factory themed android phones I would be excited to see in america

Xmen cerebro phone
G.I joe phone
Transformers phone (both autobots and decepticons)
Stargate phone
Bat phone
Alienware Phone (I guess they may already be doing this)
Aliens (xenomorph) phone
Predator phone (how would you find it LOL)
Avengers Phone
Star wars Phone, (something better than r2d2, come on man)

Could go on.....

and why didnt anyone put this up hereView attachment 50895

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty normal price for specialty phones in Japan. You have a little more disposable income when you walk, bike, and take the train most places instead of throwing down cash on $4.00/gallon gas. I certainly wouldn't complain about a little savings that way, though I do love my leather seats =p