Rant --

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by kevdog, Apr 7, 2011.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been a loyal D1 user for almost 2 years. I love the customization, tweaking, etc. My wife's D1 suddenly died over the weekend and she ended up with an upgrade to the Tbolt. After playing with it for the last several days -- I have to admit my D1 didn't seem so cool after all. In fact even with all the time put into overclocked kernel, JIT, compcache -- the Tbolt blows my device out of the water!!! Perhaps my priorities need to be re-examined.
  2. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep & CM on the TB will make your D1 look even worse.
  3. 666ogre666

666ogre666 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I loves me my hard keyboard. Plus the D1 gets better everyday even after two years. I can't justify the price as of now.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  4. gambit07

gambit07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha that's just the nature of technology, new stuff comes out, it's better than the old stuff. Nothing to be done about it until you upgrade
  5. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    D1 is still an excellent device, I still get surprised by it's awesomeness from time to time
  6. phreek

phreek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree. My friends are early adopters and always rush out to upgrade to the latest and greatest and are always complaining about their new phones. Sooo glad I didn't get a Galaxy S!

Sent from my Droid
  7. kptphalkon

kptphalkon Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Lol....aside from that, sure your D1 is great and serves you well, but I believe it has hit the limit of functionality, unlocked bootloader and all. At best, a D1 can scrape by or match the performance of a considerably less modded (locked/encrypted bootloader :( ) of the 2nd gen droid phones. Enjoy your fake gingerbread! I have all the ram I need :D
  8. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What fake GB are you discussing? 2.3.3 IS 2.3.3 ... nothing fake about it.

But I agree that we are now butting up against limitations of the included hardware on the device, not much you can do, but the dev's are amazing in finding workarounds that carriers/manufacturers wouldn't dream of doing.
  9. mightybrick

mightybrick Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm loving gingerbread. Enjoy your custom kernels! ;)
  10. danceswithbongs

danceswithbongs Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Question for those with TBolt in their household

Could those of you with the TBOLT, or have access to one, answer a question I have about that phone.
    I have heard some mixed reviews regarding the battery life.
    2 negative reviews came straight from 2 guys working for Big Red, and for 2 plus years they have constantly hooked me up with info and assistance across the board.
    But they don't own one so I wanted to get opinions from those who use the phone, for more than just a day.
    Thanks for any info you can share.
    danceswithbongs
  11. bill1253

bill1253 Member

Ratings:
    +2
  12. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +12
    My d1 still is the best thing going :p don't care what anyone says this thing still amazes me

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  13. triptych

triptych Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just rooted a friend of mine's T-bolt last night and I was impressed. A few comments...

The T-bolt was actually a BEE-yatch to root. (not impossibly difficult, but I didn't expect to be fought every step of the way. Shame on HTC) The thing that took me the longest to figure out was the ADB drivers. They aren't listed on HTC's support site, WIN7 has no idea where they could be, and any other generic driver will fail during the rooting proces (only after 10 minutes of pretending its pushing files).

Only after wifi tethering my OGDroid to download a 700+mb file did I realize that verizon is offering free wired tether on the thunderbolt until the middle of may. (20 minute download would only have taken 3!) I was with my buddy when he got the phone and the rep didn't mention it at all. :icon_evil:

I would absolutely wait for a dual core phone, despite the awesome speed of the thunderbolt. I go to bed every night hoping that my dream phone comes out before verizon's mobile phone 4g is tiered data only.
  14. gambit07

gambit07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went and checked out the tbolt yesterday and to be honest I wasn't that impressed. I was expecting it to be totally lag free from what everyone's been saying but I think my D1 runs smoother on the homescreens than the tbolt did. Obviously it was a store model so people have put a bunch of stuff on it plus the bloatware's there but still. I could and definitely would root and rom it and I'm sure the experience would be lag free after that but stock I didn't come away extremely impressed by the tbolt. Of course it's way better than the lagtrocity that the DX or D2/G are because of blur.
  15. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've compared many store models to my own phones and their always incomparable to the phones I own. Don't just pick up a phone off the ground and label it as the front runner for its model. That is all :)