RANT: Stop crying about battery life!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelastbill

Reaction score
This is a 4g smartphone for goodness sake!!! Its not a cheap prepaid flip phone. I bought the car dock and its attached whenever im in the car, it takes 2 secods and charges while Im driving and not using it anyway. Every smart phone has crappy battery life, every single one, except ones that wont do what these phones can.

You all sound like little girls.

Go to walmart, and buy a lil flip phone for a day and see which one you like better.

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is a 4g smartphone for goodness sake!!! Its not a cheap prepaid flip phone. I bought the car dock and its attached whenever im in the car, it takes 2 secods and charges while Im driving and not using it anyway. Every smart phone has crappy battery life, every single one, except ones that wont do what these phones can.

Go to walmart, and buy a lil flip phone for a day and see which one you like better.

Totally agree! I'd love to see the faces on these complainers if I could go back in time, even if only a year, and hand them the RAZR! They'd probably mess their pants with excitement!

I have the car dock, a charger at work (IF YOU HAVE A PC, YOU HAVE A CHARGER!), and a charger next to the bed. I also carry the tiny charging block that came with the phone. If I ever did run low, there are power jacks just about anywhere you could need them, except maybe in the woods, for God's sake! There are even portable power packs that can charge your phone in about an hour, so, really...give it a rest people.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Reaction score
Haha. U guys r funny and I totally agree.. Ppl will complain about everything tho. Everything has to b perfect in their little world.. They really do need to grow the hell up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
ya guiz dey r so imachure.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

satarecah

Reaction score
Totally agree! I'd love to see the faces on these complainers if I could go back in time, even if only a year, and hand them the RAZR! They'd probably mess their pants with excitement!

I have the car dock, a charger at work (IF YOU HAVE A PC, YOU HAVE A CHARGER!), and a charger next to the bed. I also carry the tiny charging block that came with the phone. If I ever did run low, there are power jacks just about anywhere you could need them, except maybe in the woods, for God's sake! There are even portable power packs that can charge your phone in about an hour, so, really...give it a rest people.

I love this guy :) its funny we both found the same post LOL

jrmdroid

Reaction score
Agreed! they will complain about the gnex batter life as well when it comes out soon and they will be returning those to get something else ....

If you want better battery life go get a free/cheap flip phone from the store.

masterpeace1960

Reaction score

I agree with you....Stoping crying....Everyone talking about how great the new Samsung nexus is going to be...it's battery life is going too be same as Htc Rezound and Razr,Bionic battery life...So yes they need to quit crying and buy a battery dock...LOL

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

+1 :rating10:

pool_shark

Reaction score
I've been saying this for years. Smartphones are pocket computers, they are not the phones of old that simply make phone calls. You don't expect your laptop battery to last all day, so it isn't feasible to expect your smartphone to do it either.

epphllps

Reaction score
There is such thing as faulty batteries, so IMHO people have the right to complain until Moto or VZW responds as to why my battery drops 10-12% overnight with all cell signals shut down when my coworker ran the same test and after 8 hours awoke with 95%. Numerous other tests and comparisons. People have a right to open feedback to correct issues that are here. Some get fantastic usage times on this phone where others get horrific numbers with little to no use (again, ME). I have a right to make it known and I have, in here and other forums such as Motorola's specific forum for this device.

Basically, don't tell users such as myself to stop crying about battery life when I know I'm not even coming close to what I have even been told I should get from Moto themselves. I could very well have a faulty battery or device. Just saying....

Kimo91

Reaction score
+1 with the OP. I'm growing tired of reading posts of people whining about "woe is me and my new Razr (or put latest 4G phone here) has a crappy battery life and I hate and blame Verizon and Motorola (add other manufacturer here) for my phones shortcomings!!!!! Please not only feel sorry for me but join me in my worthless rant and lets take a stand against those that made my battery die so quick!!!!!!" Just my opinion LOL

Sent from my Boeing approved Moto Droid Razr

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There is such thing as faulty batteries, so IMHO people have the right to complain until Moto or VZW responds as to why my battery drops 10-12% overnight with all cell signals shut down when my coworker ran the same test and after 8 hours awoke with 95%. Numerous other tests and comparisons. People have a right to open feedback to correct issues that are here. Some get fantastic usage times on this phone where others get horrific numbers with little to no use (again, ME). I have a right to make it known and I have, in here and other forums such as Motorola's specific forum for this device.

Basically, don't tell users such as myself to stop crying about battery life when I know I'm not even coming close to what I have even been told I should get from Moto themselves. I could very well have a faulty battery or device. Just saying....

First thing is; leave your phone on the charger all night. It will not hurt the phone or the battery. I've been doing it for years and years with multiple phones.

Second; If you are having short battery life here’s a list of things that can help. Just read through the list and select the items that fit with the way you want to use your phone. Not all items will work for everyone and this list was written for the Droid Bionic but should work for your phone too. Of course you have the very powerful app Smart Actions - use it and if you still need more:

- Don't use an automatic task killer--not even the one that comes with the phone. Reboot your phone and look at what's running. If anything that you've installed is running and there's no reason for it, then uninstall it and find an alternative that behaves. Ignore any stock apps that run on boot as I've found them to be more or less benign.

- Weather widgets, live wallpapers, news/social feeds, any app or service that you use that runs--do without it if you can. If you can’t do without it, lengthen it’s refresh time.

- Don't use antivirus

- Set your WIFI sleep policy to never. The default is "turn off when screen turns off". This will cause the wifi to reconnect every time you open the phone. From any Home Screen select Menu/Settings/Wireless & Networks/ and then use the Menu button to see some new options - select Advanced. Then select Wifi Sleep Policy and set it to Never. Home key to return to Home Screen.

- If you have access to wifi, leave it toggled on as it is more efficient than 3G. Wifi consumes less battery power than 3G.

- I leave GPS toggled on too by the way. Apps use it as needed. When I'm done with Maps or an app that uses it, I'm sure to return to the home screen so GPS can stop. Under wireless settings turn on "Google location services" so that an app is able to use network resources to get your location instead of GPS. I have "VZW location services" turned off--don't know why that option is even there. By the way, I increase the speed of voice output > text to speech > speech rate because I like the directions to get spit out faster. That saves a bit of battery. Turning off the display and just listening for directions help. Also, often I just get the directions and then exit back to the home screen: GPS uses so much battery I try to get it over with ASAP.

- When you get a 1) new battery, 2) do a factory reset, or 3) an OS upgrade - run your battery all the way down until the phone shuts off and then charge the battery all the way up. This will calibrate the phone's understanding of the battery's capacity. Do this once every month or two also, but don't do it too often if you can help it.

- I have my battery set to "Performance Mode" and data is on all the time because I am on call 24x7. If you don't mind, try out a more conservative battery profile to save more gobs of energy.

- Set screen brightness to "Automatic"

- Under Accounts, click on any account listed and turn off sync for any items that you're not interested in syncing. For example, Google Books if you don't use it. Don't use Backup Assistant--I prefer syncing my contacts with Google. You don't need both. Also go into your contacts > menu > display options > backup assistant > UNCHECK. Also do contacts > menu > more > settings > contact storage > and select your Google account and "remember this choice"

- Turn on Bluetooth only when you are going to use it.

- Consider turning off voice privacy. This may not be a big deal but it will save some processing (and therefore battery). It may also improve call quality.

-Turn off haptic feedback, animations, and any un-needed sounds in Android settings and in your apps

- Set your screen timeout to as low a time as you can stand (I use 1 minute) and manually turn the screen off when you’ve finished using the phone.

- Turn off in-pocket detection. In-Pocket Detection has been the source of many issues already.

- Keyboard: turn off vibrate on key press and sounds for any keyboards you use

- Use a red or black screen background. On the original Droid screen--not sure about this Bionic screen--red was the most efficient color that could be displayed.

- Camera app: I like keeping location on and flash on auto. Consider turning location off or at least returning to the home screen ASAP when using camera if location for camera is on.

- In stock browser the default home page is Google and it uses your location. This is a bad idea as it can waste your battery for no reason. Make something else your home page and make sure to close any web page that uses your location when you're done viewing it.

- Charge your phone via the wall charger instead of computer USB as it is faster. Also, don't use long USB cords--use regular power extension cords instead. I stick with the charger that came with the phone. Put the phone on charger when you go to bed every night.

- Consider install the Home Replacement app Zeam. It is basic app that uses very few resources and will help with battery power.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a link to some very good videos about saving battery power on the Bionic (there are 4 parts and the other parts will show up as available videos when part 1 finishes):

Battery Saving Video

Part 1: [video=youtube;cvWg7SbUgsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cvWg7SbUgsI[/video]

If battery life is still bad: Consider doing a factory reset: These have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 3. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 3. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

And lastly, I LOVE the irony of posting battery cures in a "Quit Complaining About Your Battery" thread!!!:biggrin:

jayb

Reaction score

So Motorola told you that you will get what kind of battery life???? And do you not think your electronic device of any kind will lose power just sitting. Unless you have it powered completely down ( even then it will consume some ) the battery will discharge some. If you think it will not then please give your phone to someone with some common sense to use it. I cant stand all the people that keep crying about this phone. Its not a phone a phone just makes and receives calls. This is a small computer. It will not get the life of an old phone. All it takes is using it correctly, by that I mean dont run 20 things all the time all day. I am not accusing you ( epphllps ) but thats what a lot of people are doing. And yes you could have a faulty battery but I really doubt it.

Sorry if I am sounding rude but learn to use a smartphone then complain about it. Just saying.

jayb

Reaction score
Thank you Bayou and everyone else. Freaking people think these are old candy bar phones. I have been getting 12hours plus with heavy use. I have used 9+gigs in the last 8 days. I dont think that is very light use.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rant

Can we ATTEMPT to keep the language in check in this thread? Its getting a little old.

/Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.