Rank your favorite 2016 comicbook movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by pc747, Jun 5, 2016.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,860
    [​IMG]

2. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Before you read my opinion I am posting this as if you have seen all the movies. Please do not read unless you have seen the movies or do not mind possible spoilers.

Warning: Possible Spoilers Below
    1) Deadpool
    2) Captain America Civil War
    3) Batman v Superman
    4) X-Men Apocalypse

Weird because even though Deadpool and Civil War ranks higher than BvS on my list the re-watchability ranking for me would be

1) BvS
    2 CW
    3 Deadpool
    4 Xmen

I actually like all of the comic book movies this year. Yeah BvS got the brunt of the hate, and understandably so, but there were many elements of the movie I liked. I am hoping the Ultimate edition fill in the gaps that made the movie feel rushed. The visuals for BvS were right out of the comic books and cartoons, unfortunately the storytelling needed a lot more work. I personally did not like the idea that Batman murders, weird in the fact I had no problem with Captain America killing in Civil War. In BvS it seemed more like a Batman that crossed the line that he is known for telling others not to cross. I could understand the killing in the rescue scene at the end but not when he did so to steal the kryptonite from Lex. That is just not only a non-Batman thing but also a non-hero thing.

Civil War I felt was BvS told by a better writer. This movie from start to finish felt like a product that captivated you because you were invested in all of those heroes from the other movies in the MCU. So when you see CA fighting Ironman it was like watching two of your friends getting into it. Plus they did a great job introducing both Black Panther and Spiderman in a way that made you wanting to see more of them.

Deadpool was just outright funny. It did a great job making fun of itself and other movies in its genre while telling a good story. Plus Deadpool brought a whole different element. Everything from the ads to the movie captivated you and kept you laughing. Hopefully they can continue to ride that wave for another couple of movies.

X-Men Apocalypse: I did not understand the dislike for this movie at all. Maybe because all the hatred I read lowered my expectations so I left satisfied. Idk, but if you grew up a fan of the X-Men cartoons then you will like this movie. I would have like Apocalypse to look and been a little more menacing but overall they did a good job. My knock of the movie was the poor special effects during the Quicksilver scene. Really Fox you could not make a better special effect scene than what I see of The Flash tv show?
    Other than that and the fact Jennifer Lawrence looked like she really didn't want to be there, I really had a good time and definitely like the many easter eggs that were in the movie. I felt this movie did a better job with the easter eggs flowing with the movie than BvS.

I will revisit this thread later as we still have Suicide Squad and Dr. Strange left.

3. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    No love for the Ninja Turtles, PC?

My list is similar, though I don't know where to put BvS and I think I liked X-men better than Civil War. As for re-watchability, I've already watched Deadpool a second time. Bought it on Google Play and had the wife watch it with me since she didn't go in theaters.

I don't know if my want to put X-men higher on my list has to do with my past history with them vs. the Avengers folks. I watched the X-men cartoon all the time growing up and really liked the first movies (yeah, I agree that the third one was the worst). I have them on DVD and watched them multiple times throughout the years. I'm more familiar with many of those characters and think I may have a softer spot in my heart for them and their stories because of that. Also, like you said, PC, I'm wondering if less-than-stellar reviews set the bar rather low for me on this one, so I wasn't anticipating it being as good as I felt it turned out.

What I did like about BvS is actually kind of what many other people didn't really like about it. It was different. They took a chance and the results weren't as great as they could have been, but I still enjoyed the movie. Sure, it was muddled and had quite a bit of stuff that I didn't feel like it really needed (for Pete's sake, we all know about Batman's background story and his parents' death at this point in the game), but they're playing some serious catch up to Marvel and that's no easy task.

Civil War was good, but I don't know if I'm just on kind of a Marvel overload lately or what. I realize that this was technically a Captain America movie, but I would've liked more Ant Man, SpiderMan, and Black Panther (who I know very little about at this point except an explanation of the origins of the character that I read, but I'm very intrigued by him and think he'd make one hell of a standalone movie). Where it seems to me that DC has some catching up to do, I can't help but wonder if Marvel has gone too far, trying to pack so much and so many heroes worthy of their own feature-length movies into one show. I think they all work well together and the actors' chemistry is great all-around, but Idk. It just didn't strike me as being as good as previous Avengers-based movies.

Deadpool is Deadpool. Not much I can say that you won't already know/think if you've seen it. I had barely even heard of him before talk of the movie coming out started up. He's my kind of "hero". Love the sense of humor and the meta moments breaking the fourth wall are amazing. I'm glad that Ryan Reynolds got his chance at redemption now that I've seen what this character should've been instead of what they did to him in Wolverine and don't think there's an actor out there that I'd put in the role over him.

As for the Turtles, I haven't seen it yet and will likely wait until I can watch it with my stepson, but I have a buddy who went and said some of the same things I've seen in reviews. Lots of nostalgia for the old school Turtles and turns out to be a pretty good movie. I'm excited to see if I feel the same about it.

Can't say that any I've seen haven't been good. Some have been better than others and some weren't as good in my eyes as their predecessors, but it's been a good year for comic book movies.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Black Panther: Not sure if it is still on Netflix but watch Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, they did a great job portraying him on that.

Ninja Turtle: I did see it as I watch the summer movies to do reviews for you guys on this site. It was if Nickelodeon heard the complaints and decided to make this movie even more kid friendly and that is what they did. If you are going to watch if for yourself wait for it to hit Netflix. But if you are taking your kid then it is a full price for them. Kids really enjoyed themselves as the action and dialogue was perfect for them. But this is not a movie you will have to drop your kids off while you go do something else, those that grew up on the 90s cartoon will get a form of nostalgia from watching it. The reason why this is more of a kid's movie is because they are not going to care about the plot holes and the fact they used different actors for this movie's Shredder and Karai vs the last. They are not going to cringe at the cheesy dialogue. They are going to enjoy this movie because they are going to see more Turtles than the last movie, and this movie is about the perfect length for kids. It was if they had this long drawn out ending and the higher up told them to cut it down so we can get the kids out this theater. And to be honest that was a great play for a kid's movie though not so much for a movie for an adult critic.

So JK this would be a movie to take your kids and their friends. The kids will enjoy it and you will be the hero for the week. Plus on the drive home you have a connection connecting your moments with the 90s cartoon with this movie.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Let's face it, the cartoon and the original movies had SUPER cheesy dialogue. Haha! Idk if we'll go to the theater for it. We may just wait and rent it or maybe he'll get it for Christmas. I'm pretty sure that's how we ended up with a copy of the last one. Either way, I'm just glad to hear that they're paying tribute to my youth better than what a lot of the most recent Turtles stuff has done. I watch the current cartoon with him sometimes. It's not horrible, but it's definitely not the Turtles that I remember.

6. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    OK I need to make a correction on the strength on the extended cut.

1 ) BVS extended cut
    2) Deadpool
    3) civil war
    4) BVS
    5) Xmen apocalypse

Why is BvS up there twice, because if you see the extended cut it's like two different movies so I'm ranking them as such.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Really? Wow. Might have to check out the extended cut then...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Yeah I understand not wanting to release a 3 hour movie because the thought of sitting in the theater 2 hours + 30 mins of previews is not going to sit well with the public, that alone a 3 hour movie plus 30 mins of previews.

I gave DC the eye roll when they was selling watching the extended edition, like how is 30 mins going to fix that screw up. Well it looks like it did for me.

Look it still have it's problems (WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME) but can be glossed over. And this movie did a better job flushing out all the characters. Before watching the extended cut I felt like Jesse eisenburg was miscast and should have been the Riddler. Now I feel a little different. Not saying he is the best version of Lex we ever had, but certainly not as bad as he was trashed for being. I now have more confidence in what DC is doing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. Efin

Efin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +3,652
    Thanks for the info, I don't mind a long story when I can pause and use the loo and then refill my glass...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,073
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Never saw it. Guess I should with the 4 day weekend coming up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  11. IIGood

IIGood Silver Member

Ratings:
    +277
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S6
    I've only seen 2 of the movies from the list: Deadpool and Cap. Deadpool had the crude humor going for it and the "kinda hero" thing but overall I could've been fine not seeing it. I didn't have the desire that everyone else seemed to have, and IMO it was just another movie where Ryan Reynolds does Ryan Reynolds. Not crazy about him in general.

Captain America: Civil War was good. Though it really probably could've been named more like Avengers 2.5 or something. LOL.

Haven't seen BvS yet, but would like to even though the general view is less than stellar, and I haven't kept up with the second "generation" of X-men flicks to have the desire to see Apocalypse.

12. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Ya know..bvs wasn't that bad to me. Bfleck did a much better job than I ever thought he would've..I don't get why they'd kill Superman so fast...I feel his character development was in its infant stages...wonder woman was actually a character I liked..she was stealthy..and a much stronger character than the comic versions I've seen..granted ..I don't read comics nor did I ever... (I don't like the way they try to kill the character every issue..it's annoying..to me)

Haven't seen civil war yet...

Deadpool was all I thought it would've been except...in my opinion..they could've made his fighting skills a tad more bad ass like a warrior of his caliber was supposed to be ..I understand his ability has made him sloppy because it's not a big deal to get blown up if you just grow back..this is just my opinion..

I have to say..the fighting in bvs was very Arkham night/city-ish I friggin loved it..only part...his cowl stopped a gun shot but not a knife stab for his suit in the shoulder?? Idk..but other than that..I thought the fighting was more what Batman would fight like..he's skilled, powerful and would be aggressive and yet stealthy and cunning..I think some smoke pellets would've added to it..lol

• Like Like x 1