Randomly switching to silent mode

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
Android fragmentation. It'll probably turn out a totally unrelated app is triggering things.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
That's what I'm afraid of... Now just to track that app down

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm afraid of... Now just to track that app down

I was a master at it with my Inc 1 once it updates to Gingerbread. I leaned the ropes while it was still" froyo by using an app called Watch Dog and monitoring cpu usage in live mode. When stuff that was supposed to be idle would suddenly move to foreground and start using cpu I'd force close the misbehaving app or service. That was back when bloatware was much less than today's phones so it didn't take a whole lot to find what was going rogue. Maps used to be a frequent bug creator when it'd update then Verizon Navigator became the most loathed. Handcent was also one that comes to mind as wreaking havoc in unrelated areas back then. I was frequently switching text apps when Handcent would go rogue, switch back when it got updates, repeat.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
I believe I figured it out. I never put 2 and 2 together, but it was occurring when I drove somewhere. I notice it during the week because on the bus driving mode kicks on but I still use my phone. In driving mode somehow a priority notifications only setting got turned on. I turned off driving mode, well see what happens from there.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well that makes sense. Hope this cuts it and great investigative work on your part!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Glad you figured that part out! That's odd though, I use Driving Mode every day and don't remember that triggering Priority Only mode. I will trybto pay attention to what happens when Driving Mode starts today on my way home from work; but I don't believe that is the normal / intended functionality.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
Glad you figured that part out! That's odd though, I use Driving Mode every day and don't remember that triggering Priority Only mode. I will trybto pay attention to what happens when Driving Mode starts today on my way home from work; but I don't believe that is the normal / intended functionality.

Nope, I'd used driving mode for almost a year now without it happening. It was a setting In the moto app which I found when I started fishing around in there. I must have hit it when I was looking around in there before.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nope, I'd used driving mode for almost a year now without it happening. It was a setting In the moto app which I found when I started fishing around in there. I must have hit it when I was looking around in there before.

It must be a setting that was removed from the Turbo 2 during the Marshmallow update, all Moto App settings and features were changed in some form with Marshmallow. My phone went into Driving Mode as soon as I connected to Bluetooth in my Jeep, as normal. And my notification settings did not change to Priority Only. I cannot find and Setting in Moto or the new Marshmallow version Driving Mode that would do that. Hopefully you can find whatever it is that you "turned On / Off" to make this happen and turn the Setting the opposite way so it doesn't happen anymore.

OP
K

k1601

Reaction score
It must be a setting that was removed from the Turbo 2 during the Marshmallow update, all Moto App settings and features were changed in some form with Marshmallow. My phone went into Driving Mode as soon as I connected to Bluetooth in my Jeep, as normal. And my notification settings did not change to Priority Only. I cannot find and Setting in Moto or the new Marshmallow version Driving Mode that would do that. Hopefully you can find whatever it is that you "turned On / Off" to make this happen and turn the Setting the opposite way so it doesn't happen anymore.

Yep got it tracked down! If I go into the moto app> settings > assist > driving I get this screen
4904c64c80f10d285d2eed30c5861ae1.jpg

Originally priority only was checked.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yep got it tracked down! If I go into the moto app> settings > assist > driving I get this screen
4904c64c80f10d285d2eed30c5861ae1.jpg

Originally priority only was checked.

And that's one of the options that was removed from the Moto App with Marshmallow... no wonder I couldn't find it on my phone. Good deal, glad you got things working the way you want.