Solved random wifi drop

drunkclever

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure this out. It just started recently. I have the verizon s5, rooted. In the same room the wifi has just started to randomly drop out. I have not dropped my phone or what have you. 2 days ago, no problems. I could even walk around my house while still being connected. Now if I leave the room I'm hit. I have not downloaded any apps.

Can someone please help me trouble trouble shoot? We dont have the strongest encryption on the wifi. I really dont know where to begin. If only there was an app for this.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Are you running a custom ROM or the stock ROM?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Does this happen only at home or are you dropping all wifi connections? What router do you have and is the firmware up to date?

OP
D

drunkclever

Reaction score
No firmware update. At the moment connections only drop at home.

*started to happen after we lost power a few days ago. I had my provider refresh the signal. I will have to check if any of the settings have changed.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The power failure could have zapped your router. let us know what you find.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A power failure technically should do the same as a router reboot but have you tried another reboot of the router? Unplug it for about 2 minutes them plug back in

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

OP
D

drunkclever

Reaction score
Ok... so thank you all for the replies. We found out what happend. The modem's reset itself to the original "stronger" default settings. This caused not only mine but everyones connected devices to be disconnected after a certain amount of time.

The tech or myself do not know what triggered it to restore default values. He ended up changing it just to be on the safe side.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Perhaps caused by the power failure. Glad it's now resolved.