Random texts not received

matto524

Reaction score
Every once in a while, say once or twice a month, my friend will send me a text but I will not receive it. I only know this has happened if they tell me the next time they see me or resend the message. It has become such a nuisance that my girlfriend knows to send a text multiple times if I don't respond. The only people I've noticed this with, because they are the main people I text, have IPhones... Is there a connection or just mere coincidence?
Also as a side note, I am inundated with comments that I should have gotten an
IPhone, and when these problems occur I sometimes tend to agree. Anybody interested in giving me reasons why I made the right choice?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

josh1980

Reaction score
Why are you assuming it's your phone? It could be that the iphones aren't sending it correctly?

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
My daughter (Thunderbolt) sent me (Bionic) a text message on March 17th. I did not receive it until the 27th. So it's not necessarily an iPhone thing.

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
I just recently started experiencing this problem. I've had my bionic since November, never any problems.

After some searching, I found an app called ghostly SMS that catches these "lost" texts.

OP
M

matto524

Reaction score
Interesting. I was told that the problem would be fixed with the OTA update last November but it's still happening. Data drops as well

OP
M

matto524

Reaction score
Thanks curgeorge for the ghostly SMS recommendation. I started using it today and it has already caught 2 messages that would otherwise be lost... I guess the issue is much more frequent than I initially thought.

josh1980

Reaction score
Hmm. I find it "interesting"(to say the least) that an app can find "lost" text messages. If an app is able to find these lost texts then surely the bug is understood well enough that Motorola and/or Google could fix the bug.

There's a few messages that I've not gotten in the past.. and I chocked it up to a bad signal or user error. Anyway, I found [APP][1.24][Apr 6th] Ghostly SMS: never lose an SMS anymore! - xda-developers by searching and it mentions that for a low RAM condition you potentially could lose an email. Now I have to ask the question as to what constitutes a "low-RAM" condition. 5MB free? 100MB free? The Bionic is one of the most loaded phones with 1GB of RAM. I have 222MB of RAM free while running alot, and I mean ALOT of applications in the background. Someone in another thread mentioned that he tries to keep at least 20MB of RAM free on his phone to prevent this bug in 2010.

It seems logical that if someone were in a "low-RAM" condition then surely they'd be losing a significant percentage of texts... like 20% or more. I've lost maybe 10 messages this year that I know of, and I'd love to know more details.

Rhetorical question....So why hasn't it been fixed?

Please note that I am not questioning anyone's observations, whether the app functions or anything of the sort. I'm simply questioning the reasoning for the lost texts. It could be a bug, a software setting, user error. It could have been an issue on the sender's end and not the receiver. When I had an iphone for a few months I lost a few texts(never ever texted before the iphone because texting is dumb imo, and still is..) and I looked into the details of how texting works. I'm surprised nobody has developed their own 3rd party method to transmit messages where the data is tracked from sender to receiver and each step of the transmission is verified to ensure the message is not "lost". I'm just a little skeptical of an app that can find "lost" texts when I'm betting there's a portion of texts that do not make it to the phone. If they don't make it to the phone how is this app supposed to "find" them? I guess on a technical level I have lots of unanswered questions...

Because the SMS is piggy-backed on the same signal as the messages from tower to phone asking each one if the other is still in range, the actual cost to the phone companies is exactly $0.00. Nothing more and nothing less. Don't let the phone companies fool you. Any money they make from texting is 100% profit. When a text message is not sent that portion of the transmission packet(the same number of bytes where the message would go, is all zeroes). The space was reserved when the protocols from the tower to phone signals were created in the 1980s, then put to use for text messaging in the 1990s. This reserved space that is now used for text messaging is why text messages are limited to so few characters.

josh1980

Reaction score
Well i installed ghostly sms to see if im losing any texts. Ironically ghostly sms never sees any texts at all. It thinks ive had zero texts the last 2 days.