random shutdown

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
I'm tryin to up date software but when I check for new it searches then disappears....y is that?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

rockula

Reaction score
Hey Rockula -
You can change your network by dialing *#*#4636#*#* or downloading the LTE on off switch app. (they both do the same thing and take you to the same screen) in the screen there's a dropdown menu where you can select the type of service.

Thanks Thunderbornick!

I changed my radio to CDMA (Prl) and that has seemingly fixed the problem for now. I've only had one reboot as opposed to MANY per day.

I've also noticed that rather than saying i'm in 3G with little to no connection or data movement, it'll go to 1X. Since I don't live in a 4G area, No need for it to be on anyway! I watched my connection on the drive home the other day, and it was in and out of 1X and 3G like crazy, proving that I'm indeed in "cell hell" around here. The towers and networks are a mess for VZW. When they say we'll be 4G by the end of the year, I just laff. I'll be shocked if it's by 2Q of 2012.

But this really makes me think that the problem is totally how the phone handles handoffs, and maybe a combination of towers needing upgraded too. I'm not sure if it's specific to the Tbolt or ALL new VZW 4G phones? If it's specific to the Tbolt, then hopefully an update will truly fix it.

wvdroidman

Reaction score
mine is cdma only and still reboots at least twice a day. It is slower than all getup most of the time though. I try to read my emails or check the weather and it takes 2 or 3 minutes for the app to open.

I don't think my texts are going through either.

1rmrider

Reaction score
Mine shuts down all the time, the weather thing on the front screen is never right. I live in Florida and it was saying Emeryville which I think is in Iowa. My texts lock up and force close all the time. Verizon has a buy back program and the apprasial value is $240. You can only do it online and they send you a debit card. So only way you can get a different phone is go back to your old one or try an early upgrade. I'm thinking of either going to iphone4 or the samsung charge I think it is or even the droidx 2. I hate this phone.

EDIT: GPS issues with navigation as well

Last edited:

Hipstr62

Reaction score
Mine shuts down all the time, the weather thing on the front screen is never right. I live in Florida and it was saying Emeryville which I think is in Iowa. My texts lock up and force close all the time. Verizon has a buy back program and the apprasial value is $240. You can only do it online and they send you a debit card. So only way you can get a different phone is go back to your old one or try an early upgrade. I'm thinking of either going to iphone4 or the samsung charge I think it is or even the droidx 2. I hate this phone.

I would take that phone back to your local Verizon and demand a new one. Mine works great, especially with third party apps...like Cardio Trainer, where the GPS tracks me so accurately I can see a 20 foot circle. Not only that, we are to get the GB update before the end of the month according HTC. Show your local rep the problems you are having and demand him to either fix it or replace it. By the way, I use the Weather Bug app and Radar Now app and they both pinpoint me exactly. The only complaint I have about the stock weather app is that it still shows it's sunny outside at midnight (yes, that's probably related to gps I would guess).

1rmrider

Reaction score

I would take that phone back to your local Verizon and demand a new one. Mine works great, especially with third party apps...like Cardio Trainer, where the GPS tracks me so accurately I can see a 20 foot circle. Not only that, we are to get the GB update before the end of the month according HTC. Show your local rep the problems you are having and demand him to either fix it or replace it. By the way, I use the Weather Bug app and Radar Now app and they both pinpoint me exactly. The only complaint I have about the stock weather app is that it still shows it's sunny outside at midnight (yes, that's probably related to gps I would guess).

The only problem with taking it back and them giving you another phone is, that other phone will be reconditioned and not brand new. I use the radar now app and it works fine with no problems. Most apps I have no issues with. I purchased Atomic Bomber and sometimes it lags and skips. But really no issues with the apps.

Hipstr62

Reaction score
I have found (with my local Verizon rep) that I can get pretty much what I want if I threaten to quit my family contract with Verizon. I have only had to call Customer Care once and complain about my local store rep and now he is quite polite and accommodating. If that phone is still under warranty, which it must be, there is absolutely no reason you should have to settle for anything other than a new replacement phone. Verizon has been pulling that crap for many years now and it's about time we all start complaining....especially when our new phone is still under the original or extended warranty.

However, if the problems you are experiencing are the same as many others, then you may simply have to work around them with market apps and wait for the Gingerbread update, which is supposed to happen by the end of June (my guess is this is why we have not had an update of the Froyo version that is so buggy). If you are not having random reboots, consider yourself lucky to have one of the better Thunderbolts. I only get one or two a week at the most....some folks are having 4/day! If you are intent on switching phones, I would wait for Droid Bionic if you still want both cameras.

1rmrider

Reaction score
I am having the random shut downs. I did go to verizon yesterday demanding a new phone. I have 4 phones on my account and my bill is over $300 a month. I did threaten to close my account. Know what she said? Sorry. Yep that's it. Sorry.

I have found (with my local Verizon rep) that I can get pretty much what I want if I threaten to quit my family contract with Verizon. I have only had to call Customer Care once and complain about my local store rep and now he is quite polite and accommodating. If that phone is still under warranty, which it must be, there is absolutely no reason you should have to settle for anything other than a new replacement phone. Verizon has been pulling that crap for many years now and it's about time we all start complaining....especially when our new phone is still under the original or extended warranty.

However, if the problems you are experiencing are the same as many others, then you may simply have to work around them with market apps and wait for the Gingerbread update, which is supposed to happen by the end of June (my guess is this is why we have not had an update of the Froyo version that is so buggy). If you are not having random reboots, consider yourself lucky to have one of the better Thunderbolts. I only get one or two a week at the most....some folks are having 4/day! If you are intent on switching phones, I would wait for Droid Bionic if you still want both cameras.

rockula

Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet and decided to get a new phone via Asurion. I was experiencing the same things everyone else was w/ the phone (which is warrantied), except I also had sweat permeate the display while talking outside on an important phone call that lasted 45min (non-Warranty). After learning that because of the display being somewhat spotty in certain spots, that I wouldn't be able to send it in for a CLNR. That I had no choice but to file a claim, pay $99, and still likely end up with a CLNR.

So, when talking to the insurance rep, I asked her if there was any way I could get a brand new phone (like the asst mgr at the local VZW store said I would get because it was an insurance claim), and she said that technically I'm guaranteed a CLNR, but that she could "request" a new one but couldn't guarantee anything. She said if I got a CLNR and didn't want it, I could send it back for a refund, and they would void the claim.

So today I just got my replacement.

It's brand new in the box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, sometimes luck does fall a guy's way after all! Thank you lord!

I'm going to start out VERY VERY generic with the app's I install (if any), to see how the phone does w/ the rebooting. If it still reboots like mad, then I'm sure a firmware update will fix it. Actually, if this phone doesn't have the update that was released a while back, I may not install it. My phone didn't start rebooting and shutting down until that update anyway.

I'll keep you posted!

Jason

rockula

Reaction score
Yeah, well that plan didn't work out. I used my orig SIM card at the suggestion of VZW and all my app's found their way back onto the phone. I could do a hard reset, but I'm going to give this phone a little time first to see what happens. I expect it to reboot like mad though. But it's shiney and new!

I will say this.. it shipped to me w/ the latest updates and had the same Software as my old phone EXCEPT one thing was different. My new phone has a PRL Version of 15011 and my old phone shows a version of 1. could it be because my old phone is booted up with no SIM card in it? Would that change that number? Curious as to why the number is so different....

j

amusedone

Reaction score
My phone shuts down all the time. I'm not talking reboot total shut off so if I'm not constantly on my phone I don't realize its off until goodness knows how much later. I found it off twice today (...Well yesterday. It's only 5 am here and sleep still eludes me) I guess another call to customer support then a new phone (and it better not be a refurb) is in store for me. I've factory reset twice to try and solve this which involves a 20 mile drive so I am in VZW tower range...no more of those for me.

amusedone

Reaction score
FYI-There's an update available that VZW tech support says is supposed to fix the reboot problem now...I just talked to tech support yesterday...giving it a shot...