Random reboots

serveitup911

Reaction score
"IV" is for increasing voltage which is higher than standard.

I do not believe that is correct. IV does stand for "Increasing Voltage" but my understanding was it is basically a LV kernel at minimum speeds increasing to SV voltages at the top frequencies. Hence "Increasing" as opposed to "Increased".

I would love to hear from cvpcs or sniffle to clarify this. If what you say is true, I will try the IV kernels.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

I do not believe that is correct. IV does stand for "Increasing Voltage" but my understanding was it is basically a LV kernel at minimum speeds increasing to SV voltages at the top frequencies. Hence "Increasing" as opposed to "Increased".

I would love to hear from cvpcs or sniffle to clarify this. If what you say is true, I will try the IV kernels.

I am almost 100% sure on this myself, but I will jump into the IRC to make sure, just for you. K? :)

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

It's true, trust us. :)

sniffle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.ccroms.net

true :)

some phones don't play nice with them same as always... phones and kernels are particular creatures, we try and make one that will work for everyone but for some it doesn't and when that situation occurs we say use a different kernel... because well our kernels don't play nice with your phone... sorry...

it's that finickiness that makes the stock moto and htc kernels so lack-luster in the first place.. they enable as few things as possible to make sure the kernel is compatible across all chips. the more features you enable the more likely some chip somewhere isn't going to like it...

i'm no EE but i would bet that they would back me up... or at least clarify more than i can...

edit: EE = Electrical Engineer

Last edited:

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

true :)

some phones don't play nice with them same as always... phones and kernels are particular creatures, we try and make one that will work for everyone but for some it doesn't and when that situation occurs we say use a different kernel... because well our kernels don't play nice with your phone... sorry...

it's that finickiness that makes the stock moto and htc kernels so lack-luster in the first place.. they enable as few things as possible to make sure the kernel is compatible across all chips. the more features you enable the more likely some chip somewhere isn't going to like it...

i'm no EE but i would bet that they would back me up... or at least clarify more than i can...

I am an EE and you are hereby backed up. I'll leave clarification to the Skull Ones of the world. ;)

serveitup911

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will try one of the IV kernels. The SV has been solid; I just want to run as little voltage as I can while keeping stability.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
after having read all this, does it mean the IV is in the middle between LV and SV or am I still confused :icon_eek:

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
after having read all this, does it mean the IV is in the middle between LV and SV or am I still confused :icon_eek:

think of IV this way:

at low clock freqs it is low voltage
at higher clock freqs it is higher voltage

so it's like a mix of the two

serveitup911

Reaction score

think of IV this way:

Wait, at higher frequencies, is it standard voltage, or higher than standard?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

think of IV this way:

Wait, at higher frequencies, is it standard voltage, or higher than standard?

I don't know the exact voltages used in the various kernels. You'll have to ask cvpcs.

OP
S

skyyaa

Reaction score
Update: tried p3 lv kernels (non-sapphire specific) and got immediate reboots, trying chevy's lv now - so far so good. Very strange, p3's are normally great on my phone! Wish chevy had a 900mhz kernel. Fyi, have had no other stability issues on 1.0.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
So let me see if I understand this right........... you guys are saying that the random reboots are kernel related???

I am running total stock 1.0. No theme and stock kernel. Was getting ready to put 1.0 on hubby's phone when mine started random reboots all weekend long. I'm just trying to figure this out because other than that 1.0 is awesome and I want to keep it.

OP
S

skyyaa

Reaction score
So let me see if I understand this right........... you guys are saying that the random reboots are kernel related???

I am running total stock 1.0. No theme and stock kernel. Was getting ready to put 1.0 on hubby's phone when mine started random reboots all weekend long. I'm just trying to figure this out because other than that 1.0 is awesome and I want to keep it.

I switched to Chevyno1's LV 250-800mhz kernel yesterday and have so far been reboot-free, so it looks like they are kernel-related.

EDIT: Only slightly annoying thing I noticed is that with the Chevy kernel I cannot enable compcache, says not supported on this kernel. Still, no real performance loss noticed, smooth as ever and still no reboots.

Last edited:

STX21

Reaction score
It is most likely kernel related. Try installing a different kernel. If you're getting reboots on stock, try installing a standard voltage kernel. It may be the low voltage that is making your phone reboot.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First sorry for digging up a thread that is slightly old, but I have had my phone reboot like 4 times this morning so I guess it might be time to look for a new kernel. I am not looking to overclock so can anyone suggest a good one that works well with Sapphire? I have never installed just the kernel before so I just download it, rename it to update.zip, and install it from SPrecovery right?