Random Reboots?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by crownroyal, Jul 22, 2010.

1. crownroyal

crownroyal New Member

I keep getting random reboots and shut downs. I don't know if it is ROM related. I was on 4.4, went to 4.5 same thing. Running the same LV kernel I have been running for ages with no prior problems.

I get them when I put the phone down sometimes, once when I started typing an sms...sometimes when phone is off in my pocket it will shut down...yesterday it rebooted while sitting still in a golf cart.

No rhyme nor reason really. I was on 4.4 for at least a week(longer I think) before it started so like I said I am not sure it is rom related..

Any thoughts guys? Maybe a hardware issue or an app that updated causing it?

Thank you
  2. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Makes me wonder if something in your data is causing issues - if there is any way you can trap a logcat when it crashes - that would help tremendously
  3. crownroyal

crownroyal New Member

Will try, and thank you for the quick response
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Hijacking the thread for a second, ChevyNo1 thanks for being there for your people. Great job I see you helping all the time.
  5. ChevyNo1

No worries - besides my ROM, that's how I hope to bring more people in :)
  6. captdroid

captdroid New Member

Ya! Chevy has some of the best support and I've told him so several times as well as send him a donation :)

Even though I am running Sapphire these days I still peruse Chevy's forum and read his thoughtful replies and check out the latest.
  7. chrisg

chrisg New Member

I am having a similar issue as experienced by the op. A random reboot is still better than all of the other custom rom's out there.
  8. RossG

RossG New Member

It seems that I am having the random reboots too. The only tie-in I could find is that it seems to happen around the time that phone calls do. I did have some force closes by Set CPU, so I removed that and re-installed it. We'll see if that fixes the issues.
  9. jlewi042

jlewi042 New Member

just to fuel the fire, i am experiencing these reboots as well. nothing in particular is causing them as it has happened while browsing the web, opening pandora, playing solitare, as well as just looking at my home screen and not doing anything.
  10. ChevyNo1

Those getting random reboots - have you tried to run a while on a fresh ROM, ie. after a wipe, to determine if the base ROM is doing it? Or have you tried to flash a different kernel?
  11. Fault

Fault New Member

My guess is overheating. Try lowering the settings for a little bit

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. jlewi042

jlewi042 New Member

yes to the wiping, no with the kernal. running your ULV 1.25, and now that i think of it, i dont recall this being an issue on the ULV 1.00...
  13. crownroyal

crownroyal New Member

4.4 was a clean install for me with multiple wipes and the reboots started there. 4.5 I didn't wipe....I am running the 1ghz kernel at 800 only which has been my setting for ages...heat doesn't appear to be a problem on set CPU at least..it is just so random...I unplugged from charger today and it rebooted....maybe try fully wiped clean 4.6 install when it is out and just deal for now...

Clocked down to 700, got 2 this am, one shut down while in my pocket, and one reboot when i put the phone down

going to clean install later with wipes and see if it goes away...the reboot on put down is weird and seems to happen with some frequency if I dont put the phone down ultra gingerly...which makes me wonder if it is a hardware issue...
  14. Lloyds

Lloyds New Member

I'm having similar issues as well. Several times a day I'll get a shutdown. I will quite frequently pick up my phone only to find out that it's off.

I was running stock 2.1, wiped to SS 4.4. No wipe load of SS 4.5. I have SetCPU running on the 1GhZ Kernel, also Juice Defender.

I'm new to the whole custom ROM thing so I don't know exactly how to troubleshoot the situation but whatever guidance I can get would be appreciated.
  15. K1K

K1K New Member

add me to the list. I had 2 random reboots last night within an hour of each other. I've been running SS 4.5 for the last few days with no problem. Kernel ULV1.25 running between 800 to 1.0. smooth sailing till last night.
  16. K1K

K1K New Member

I'm gonna try the LV 1.0G kernel, let you know what happens.
  17. crownroyal

crownroyal New Member

ok, so yesterday I wiped 3 times and installed 4.5 yesterday....2 reboots and one shutdown in last 24....2 reboots<I was putting phone down and it fell "all the way" off of my wallet on to the table, kind of slid, and rebooted....2nd time I put it down with mixing music player on the screen and it rebooted...this exact thing happenened yesterday pre wipe too....then on a walk, phone in pocket...it just shut down.....so boggled..after it reboots or shuts down, it ALWAYS comes back with the same missed call notification from yesterday morning if that makes any sense...
  18. andrew149

andrew149 New Member

i had the same issue it happend alot one day the next no rebots i think its part of a hardware issue along with the software issue all droids randomly rebot some alot some none even on rooted or stock roms all of them do it
  19. TellarHK

TellarHK New Member

Same problem here.

It hasn't happened for a day or so, but I was having the same problem. Multi-wiped for 4.4, didn't wipe for 4.5, running ULV 1.2Ghz. It worked just fine for about four days, and then began spontaneously rebooting when it was just sitting on my desk.

I flashed an LV 1.0 kernel, and it's done it a couple more times.

All are Chevy's kernels, BTW.
  20. Kickbut101

Kickbut101 New Member

Same problem here, it happens mostly after I type an SMS hit send, and before the text actually sends I hit the hold button and put my phone down, then poof! it reboots, its done this probably 4-5 times the past two days, it honestly doesn't bother me, I just found it odd. I had a clean install/wipe, am using the ULV 1.25 kernal, and 4.5 rom. Love your Rom!