Random reboots?

Aardvark3208

Reaction score
I unintsalled all of the apps that followed my Google account but apparently there is a lot more info than that. Even WiFi Access passwords followed and were restored. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to create a new G-mail account, import my contacts from the old one, and start fresh. My old phone was never rooted or modified. All of a sudden this Google Life thing is not so appealing any more. This is a real pain!
Success!!! I did a out of box reset. (just removing apps wasn't enough) and this time un-checked both boxes that ask if you want everything restored. The result was only my Contacts were restored. So far I have been bringing apps back one by one. Still no reboots in 18 hours!! All app purchases are tied to your account so you don't have to re-purchase them. If / when I find the app that causes the trouble, I will post it's name. Hope this helps someone! Love this phone!

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I've been running for a couple days now on my replacement phone. After I wiped data and chose not to sync I've not had a single reboot issue. I've got many of my applications reinstalled and its still working extremely well.

Happy Droid 3 owner, finally.

Oh yeah, the keyboard frickin rocks! I mean the best on the market. I used to think BB had the market dominated but not now. This this is really comfortable to type on. Im still getting used to the layout so I can quite type by touch yet, but im getting better.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

So are the buttons easy to press? Did you have a D2, and how did it compare?

Also, hows the battery life when moderately using it?

blackmagick20

Reaction score
I just wanted to add something here. I was experiencing plenty of random reboots every few hours with my D3. I purchased the extended battery yesterday and haven't had a single one since in over 24 hours. Call me crazy or that it's a coincidence, but it seems to have fixed the issue

otacon

Reaction score
Rebooted on me once randomly but that was after I used task manager heavily so could've been my fault. After I tried to run Netflix everything went fubar an it rebooted but that's about it. Coming from a long time BB user I really like the D3.

otacon

Reaction score
I just wanted to add something here. I was experiencing plenty of random reboots every few hours with my D3. I purchased the extended battery yesterday and haven't had a single one since in over 24 hours. Call me crazy or that it's a coincidence, but it seems to have fixed the issue

I've always run the extended battery in my own case. Kind of have to with these big screens with Android..lol

dragorn

Reaction score
I did 2 things; combined they seem to have alleviated (but not entirely eliminated) the reboots:

1 - Delete all Wifi configurations restored from Google and re-enter your information. I tried this because restored system settings seemed to be part of the problem.

2 - Link a junk (or I suppose, real) twitter account in the 'my accounts'. The address pointer the crash happens on is ascii 'witt'. It may be a total red herring, but working on the idea that it's misinterpreting missing data from t(witt)er, linking an account can't hurt.

Since doing this, I have only experienced one crash in 2 days, and was not in a situation where I could pull logs to see if it's at the same time.

For those still having crashes - try this and let us know. If you're really dedicated, try the wifi thing first for a few days and see if that alone fixes it, before trying the twitter thing.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I had a few random reboots in my first couple of days, but today I've already had 4 since 9:00am. All of my reboots have occurred while I've been at home connected to a strong wifi signal. Each reboot has occurred when I was doing something different, but all were internet-based, and most of them have come with an orientation change (the phone freezes, then reboots). One happened while the phone was sitting on my desk with the screen off not being used.

Last edited:

lunkdjedi

Reaction score
Issue 18460 - android - 2.3.4 frequent reboots of android layer - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

I followed comment 5 of the above issue and deleted all my wireless configurations, then rebooted.

I added my WEP secured network configuration back in manually and then unplugged the wireless router (as opposed to driving away).

Before it would immediately attempt to reboot upon unlocking the screen of the device, but now I've reconnected and disconnected and unlocked multiple times.

Hope this helps.

Rouxdy

Reaction score
This is an awesome device that clearly isn't ready for prime time. If I'm out and about and using the phone it will reboot every few minutes and there is nothing common about the timing.

Can you imagine if this thing would have had the release an iPhone has? It would have made their antenna issue look like childs play.

I hope they get is fixed soon.

Reaction score
This is an awesome device that clearly isn't ready for prime time. If I'm out and about and using the phone it will reboot every few minutes and there is nothing common about the timing.

Can you imagine if this thing would have had the release an iPhone has? It would have made their antenna issue look like childs play.

I hope they get is fixed soon.

I don't think this is a problem with the phone. There seems to be a lot of people that are using old backups and restoring them to the D3 which can cause problems. In addition to that, there are also people that are taking their microSD cards directly from their old phones and putting it right into the D3. Again, more problems.

Yes, some problems are occurring due to battery issues but I find it hard to believe this is a widespread hardware issue or that it resides in the original software.

From a personal opinion, I have not experience ANY reboots at all for the week that I've owned my D3 so far. I did not restore apps from back up and I formatted my microSD card before transferring it from my D1 to the D3. I know I only speak as one person but so far I've had 0 issues.

Rouxdy

Reaction score
I don't think this is a problem with the phone. There seems to be a lot of people that are using old backups and restoring them to the D3 which can cause problems.

I went from a D1 to a D3... I turned on the phone, entered my gmail address and it did all the rest. Hence, a phone problem.

I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that Motorola puts out a patch to deal with this... once again meaning it's a phone problem.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I don't think this is a problem with the phone. There seems to be a lot of people that are using old backups and restoring them to the D3 which can cause problems. In addition to that, there are also people that are taking their microSD cards directly from their old phones and putting it right into the D3. Again, more problems.

Yes, some problems are occurring due to battery issues but I find it hard to believe this is a widespread hardware issue or that it resides in the original software.

From a personal opinion, I have not experience ANY reboots at all for the week that I've owned my D3 so far. I did not restore apps from back up and I formatted my microSD card before transferring it from my D1 to the D3. I know I only speak as one person but so far I've had 0 issues.

I always run a new phone 100% stock for the first couple of days without downloading any apps, and I did the same with the Droid 3. I also didn't put in my SD card until yesterday. I still had reboots when going completely stock for a couple days. The wide variety of instances in which reboots occur with so many users really makes it seem like it's something more than just an app or leftover remnants on a SD card.

km75

Reaction score
I've had my phone for two weeks now. Haven't had one reboot issue. I used the sd card from my D2. Before I used it though I formatted so there wasn't anything on there. I also didn't allow my apps to be automatically restored. I restored them manually from the market. Seems to be working in my favor.

Last edited:

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I'd like to see a poll of people's experiences with the Droid 3:
1) absolutely no reboots
2) less than one reboot per week
3) several reboots per week
4) about 1 reboot every day
5) several reboots per day

HokieDroid

Reaction score
I've had my D3 for a week. Started with freshly formatted SD card and installed all apps via market. At first I'd have one reboot per day or so, but they have been increasing in frequency to where I'm now having many per day. Some seem tied to apps (games) when accessing SD card, but most seem completely random.