Random reboots?

jeffrich21

Reaction score
Please let us know if the replacement unit fixes this - if it's a hardware problem I'll start a RMA myself, I've been assuming it's software.

I have the brand new replacement D3 and seems to be operating normally with zero reboots in 3 hours. And turning wifi on and off works perfect without any reboots at this point.

I spoke too soon. The new one does the exact same thing. I'm going to set it up under a new google account with no apps and see if it does it then.

Edit: I set it up under a new account with zero apps and now the D3 does not do it. Great! But now I have to go through all 100 apps and install one at a time and check for errors with the wifi.

Last edited:

NoBloatware

Reaction score
But now I have to go through all 100 apps and install one at a time and check for errors with the wifi.

I would bet that you could reduce your search to only apps that run automatically or that you've opened--this includes widgets and live wallpapers. I doubt that an app just sitting in storage would cause this.

Besides running apps, don't forget to check for running services too.

dragorn

Reaction score
Interesting. I'll be going through my app list as well; let us know what you find. I'm trying to push the bug through to moto through some other contacts since I was able to capture a stack trace of the crash of the system service.

jeffrich21

Reaction score
I installed quite a few apps, probably 50 or so and no reboots yet. But the thought had just accured to me driving to work this morning to think about apps that are involved with wifi and the only one I could think of is Barnacle Wifi Tether. Which is only used while rooted, which the D3 is not at this point. I used this on my D2G all the time with no problems. Since Barnacle requires a Wifi download I will download this afternoon when I get home since I don't have wifi here at work and see if that was the app causing the problem. What do you guys think?

rushmore

Reaction score
So are all of you folks having random reboots? None of the users seem to be reporting it over at Androidforums. Not saying that to refute the posts here, but I was thinking reboots were not an issue- until reading this thread.

neilrl79

Reaction score
I had a reboot a few minute ago. I locked the phone, slid it in my pocket, felt it vibrate, pulled it out and had the red eye on the screen.

rushmore

Reaction score
I had a reboot a few minute ago. I locked the phone, slid it in my pocket, felt it vibrate, pulled it out and had the red eye on the screen.

The DX2 does that too. One of the reasons I returned it was random reboots. Since I returned that DX2, the next device I buy I will be stuck with it, so want to make sure not same silly issues.

Well, I would be "stuck" in that not wanting to waste more money.

dragorn

Reaction score
I installed quite a few apps, probably 50 or so and no reboots yet. But the thought had just accured to me driving to work this morning to think about apps that are involved with wifi and the only one I could think of is Barnacle Wifi Tether. Which is only used while rooted, which the D3 is not at this point. I used this on my D2G all the time with no problems. Since Barnacle requires a Wifi download I will download this afternoon when I get home since I don't have wifi here at work and see if that was the app causing the problem. What do you guys think?

While reasonable to start, I don't have that installed (and never have) so while there may be a class of apps / specific APIs which cause this, it's not barnacle in specific.

I've logged a second crash as it happened, same fault address ('witt'), which is interesting because if it was a generic buffer overflow it wouldn't likely be the same twice.

dragorn

Reaction score
So are all of you folks having random reboots? None of the users seem to be reporting it over at Androidforums. Not saying that to refute the posts here, but I was thinking reboots were not an issue- until reading this thread.

I have significant reboot issues, yes.

And I can prove it's a segfault in the core system_server process, so while it may be exacerbated by an app, this is definitely a bug introduced into the android build.

rushmore

Reaction score
I forgot there was a thread at Androidforums about this, so bad info from me.

The issue is a key reason why a returned the DX2, so is this issue as bad as the DX2, or less frequent?

If wifi is left off, does the problem stay the same or decrease? Never mind, I read your other posts :(

Last edited:

jeffrich21

Reaction score

The issue is a key reason why a returned the DX2, so is this issue as bad as the DX2, or less frequent?

If wifi is left off, does the problem stay the same or decrease?

With my problem, with wifi turned off I had no problems at all. At this point I think my issue is an app. And from the shear number of people that are NOT having problems, I would say the reboot issues are not like the DX2.

rushmore

Reaction score

If wifi is left off, does the problem stay the same or decrease?

With my problem, with wifi turned off I had no problems at all. At this point I think my issue is an app. And from the shear number of people that are NOT having problems. I would say the reboot issues are not like the DX2.

This would be good, since the keyboard seems too good to pass up, but would be easy to pass up if DX2 level issues.

Raptor007

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear others are having issues with reboots, so far (fingers crossed) mine has not had this issue. It could be apps installed or something else but so far so good.

jeffrich21

Reaction score
Well I'm happy to report at this point, no reboots yesterday at all. Last night I installed Barnacle Wifi Tether to see if that was the issue, does not seem to be... I did uninstall it after my tests though. I don't know what app was causing my issue. I have installed almost all of the apps from prior and even new ones without any issues. So now I fully loving my D3 like it should be!!