Random reboots?

jaxjaggywires

Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing random reboots of their phone? If you have, have you found any apps or other reason for them? Mine has been rebooting far too frequently to just ignore it.

dragorn

Reaction score
Yes; constantly.

For me, it appears to be linked to roaming between cell towers. Moving through coverage areas or being on the edge of two coverage areas.

The phone is nearly unusable. I've seen 5-10 reboots an hour.

jimikeys

Reaction score
only when i use the the camcorder app randomly after shutting it down... like i open it use it close it and go somewhere else then open it again...for some reason it causes the phone to hang and in one case reboot...

i also had a reboot when i used handcent then handcent took forever to work so i replaced it with go sms and that fixed that...

last issue isn't a reboot its just after removing the phone from the pc cable it is kind of slow then a minute or 2 later it's working fast as normal...

the phone stutters when u change things, like i changed the apps in app drawer to my apps and chose what apps i want and it crashed...few mins later everything was fine and now app drawer reads my apps.

hopefully an update fixes those issues.

jeffrich21

Reaction score
Here is my thread from another site. General Random Reboots - Android Forums

I figured it out on mine to be wifi, at least I think so. Try turning off your wifi when you are not in a remember network, that seemed to work for me. I already have a replacement on the way.

I think I found the culprit for my rebooting issue. Wifi.. Everytime I'm out and about where the phone is trying to find an open network and I try to swipe to unlock it will reboot. At home where the phone connects to my network it is not a problem. When I was out I turned off wifi and did not have problems, turned it on, rebooted every time. So it must be the phone seaching for open network or something related to wifi that makes it freak out.

Last edited:

mattbooty

Reaction score

I figured it out on mine to be wifi, at least I think so. Try turning off your wifi when you are not in a remember network, that seemed to work for me. I already have a replacement on the way.

I think I found the culprit for my rebooting issue. Wifi.. Everytime I'm out and about where the phone is trying to find an open network and I try to swipe to unlock it will reboot. At home where the phone connects to my network it is not a problem. When I was out I turned off wifi and did not have problems, turned it on, rebooted every time. So it must be the phone seaching for open network or something related to wifi that makes it freak out.

There must be another component to it though... I haven't experienced a single reboot yet on my D3 and I've had many times I've left my house and forgotten to turn wifi off (to save battery) and while I was outside of any wifi signals I was able to unlock fine. I'm not doubting that wifi has something to do with it, but unless its an issue specific to your phone (a bad wifi radio?) there must be another component to the problem.

jeffrich21

Reaction score

There must be another component to it though... I haven't experienced a single reboot yet on my D3 and I've had many times I've left my house and forgotten to turn wifi off (to save battery) and while I was outside of any wifi signals I was able to unlock fine. I'm not doubting that wifi has something to do with it, but unless its an issue specific to your phone (a bad wifi radio?) there must be another component to the problem.

Maybe.. I know this, I'm at work right now without access to any open/remembered networks and if I turn on wifi and press the sleep button it will reboot. Once rebooted, if I turn off wifi and press sleep the operations are normal, everytime. It was the same this weekend running into different wifi networks, rebooting every five minutes.

jimikeys

Reaction score
i have an idea, everyone download log collector from the market and when you're droid3 crashes or reboots run it and see what caused it then send that into motorola... when i used to help a app developer he said the log files are extremely helpful...plus i think this would help rom makers as well once the system gets opened.

jeffrich21

Reaction score
So I just home and connected to my remembered network just fine. I went in and "forgot" my home network, once my home network was forgot it rebooted by itself. With wifi on now I go into settings>Wireless and Networks>Wifi Settings> I find my network and enter my password. Now I'm connected, no reboot. For me the problem has something to do with wifi. Tomorrow I will have my replacement. Hopefully no issues with the new one.

OP
J

jaxjaggywires

Reaction score
There might be something to the wifi on my phone too...no reboots since I turned wifi off at work, and I'm now on my wifi at home. I'll keep an eye on it and do some more testing. Good catch...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jeffrich21

Reaction score
Here is a video I made of the problem. It's not great but does show the issue. Thank goodness Verizon is replacing the phone tomorrow.

[video=youtube;1DLL2zuNNyE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DLL2zuNNyE]YouTube - ‪Droid 3 Reboot Issue‬‏[/video]

dragorn

Reaction score
Please let us know if the replacement unit fixes this - if it's a hardware problem I'll start a RMA myself, I've been assuming it's software.

jerrt

Reaction score
I would be interested in if the new fone fixes your problem as well. I love most of this fone, but verizon bloatware aside my og droid never acted up this bad. It will reboot when I am trying to use google maps; it reboots when it is just sitting locked on the table. I figure I will wait till the 14th and just take it to a verizon corporate store and have them swap me unlesss it gets worse.

dragorn

Reaction score

jeffrich21

Reaction score
Please let us know if the replacement unit fixes this - if it's a hardware problem I'll start a RMA myself, I've been assuming it's software.

I have the brand new replacement D3 and seems to be operating normally with zero reboots in 3 hours. And turning wifi on and off works perfect without any reboots at this point.

Droid1610

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna do a swap because my phone continues to reboot for no reason, the most recent reboot was while I was showing a buddy how nice the phone was and I slid the screen up to show him the new keyboard layout and the screen didn't come on to unlock within a few seconds there was the red eye flashing. It hasn't caused any major interuptions as it usually just reboots while its locked or something.