Random Reboots

Discussion in 'LG Revolution' started by platinum8317, Jun 24, 2011.

1. platinum8317

platinum8317 New Member

I switched from the OG droid running MIUI to the REVO and Love it. Great phone compared. Better in all ways for me so far. Well except for the long charge time but that's really not been an issue for me.

Just recently I've noticed that the revo decided to reboot right in the middle of me transfering files. It's happened 2 times that I noticed so far over the span of 3 days. Could have happened more just didn't notice. Not a big deal just thought i would point it out for people to look for.

I'm waiting for my 14 day return period to end before i decide to root it and see if that may fix some of the known issues. Thanks.
  2. Big Cam

Big Cam New Member

Weird, I also came from a Droid 1. The battery is bigger, so a longer charge time is warranted.

I haven't had any reboots, so maybe it was just a fluke. I guess I've only had mine for 2 days, but I've already transferred over 2 gig's of music and whatnot to it, with no problems.
  3. platinum8317

platinum8317 New Member

Maybe there was more to it when the phone rebooted. It happend when i transfered around 600mbs of mp3 but not when i did th 10gigs last night. Either way still a good phone. Just can't wait till LG releases the Kernel source
  4. Big Cam

Big Cam New Member

I hear you there. It's awesome stock, but it has such potential.
  5. 3turner

3turner New Member

Coming from the original Droid which black screened on me the very day I was eligible for a device upgrade......I got the LG Revolution on Friday and have had 4 or 5 reboots since bringing the phone home from Verizon. So I came to the forums to search out anyone else having the problem and this is the only thread I found. However, I was not transferring any files when my reboots occurred. Mine happened in varying situations, once while playing Wordfued (on charger at home); once I heard a notification come through, I picked up the phone to look and the phone was rebooting (this time it was on charger in the car); the other few times was not on the charger when the reboot occurred and I just happened to see the LG splash screens. The instance of the reboot when in the car was before I even installed anything on the phone....it was factory fresh at the time.

After the second reboot, I had changed from LTE/CDMA service to just CDMA service thinking that perhaps it was being cause by going between 3G to 4G...but when it was 3G only service, it rebooted on me twice in one hour here at home. I've since put it back to LTE/CDMA and have not noticed any reboots.

I may be taking this phone back tomorrow or at the very minimum....calling and asking if anyone else has had any returns for the same problem. But part of me is wanting to wait it out and see if things improve.....at least until the Droid 3 is available in store so I can see it in person. I don't like to buy until I try it out in person first.
  6. fx35s

fx35s New Member

Hello there, i got my LG Revolution from the Verizon Store few days ago.

I got the phone on July 5th, hearing that even the "now-customers" may

not be eligible for unlimited data plans, and at the time there wasn't any

official news so i just had to go with it before July 7th which was rumored

to be the date the Verizon should be starting the new tiered plan.

Anyways, i have noticed that my phone restarted at least two times so

far including today. I went to the option where i could select LTE/CDMA

or just CDMA and saw that if i were to change the setting from LTE/CDMA

to CDMA the phone will have to reboot to accomodate the change.

Plus considering that my house does not get the 4G at all and 3G barely

gets the signal, i highly think it may have something to do with the phone

continously trying to connect to 3G network and trying to be connected

to the network.

I really hate and do not want to take back and replace my phone because i can't be

assured that Verizon will give me a "new phone", and instead they will probably get me a

refurbished one because they usually don't give the new phone in a new box

from last i remember. (When the voyager first came out that is- btw

Voyager was such a good phone although it lacked flash at the back)

So my question is, should i look for a way to get my phone rooted to see

if i can solve the problem? or try and repalce the phone with something

else other than LG Revolution or just get a replacement LG Revolution.

I'm afraid that the "new" LG Revolution will behave exactly the same and

I already put my loveeee (hah, i said it) onto my phone so i really would

like to keep the phone and, i kinda want to believe that it's software issue not the hardware issue.

I started to think that the reboot issue has something to do with the phone itself trying to stay

connected to the network whether it be 3G or 4G. The reason why i came up with this is because

i don't really get the good signal in my house and 3G would often go out and the phone would display

no network connection available, and etc,.

Sombody help me with this..

p.s. - i don't really care about the phone restarting once in a while but if

this really IS the mechanical problem which will get worse and ultimately

will be needing an attention, i wanna grab a new phone instead..

The thing is that i'm a loyal LG fan since 1990s (LG's TV, known as

Goldstar since long ago is a great brand where Samsung TV's couldn't

even come close when it came down to tube TV. Don't get me wrong

because i admit that Samsung has so many patents and all that but

you know what? I still root for LG because of their excellent design

philosophy and build quality whether it be TV, laundry machine, or kimchi

refridge :p)

Sorry if i wrote p.s. too freakin long :)
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  7. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

As a tbolt owner I am not surprised the revolution is having random reboots. Both phones use the same processor and have many hardware similarities. With that said I think the random reboots both an issue from LTE and oems still experimenting with what hardware works or doesn't. I am now curious about the bionic and anxious to see how the omap processors do on LTE.

sent from droidforums app
  8. 3turner

3turner New Member

I hear you on the Thunderbolt and Revolution having the same hardware...but the tbolt has one up by getting the OTA update soon to fix the random reboots...hopefully. I'm good till the 22nd to return the phone if needed. I forgot to call the store today so I'm going to call tomorrow to talk to someone. And I had one more reboot today. Had the phone in hand and was setting it down on the dresser getting ready to leave the house and there it was on the LG screen again. :|

I live outside the 4G area and have a good 3G signal in my home with the exception of one dead spot right in the center of the lower level of the house. In addition to the rebooting, I've noticed a few apps not being able to sync or fetch data....the Accuweather widget, Google Reader, Wordfeud and at times the stock browser times out. But other apps on the phone are working fine and can use the available 3G signal while I am at home. I'll be in town all day tomorrow with 4G available and will watch my phone closely for reboots or hanging apps.
  9. Big Cam

Big Cam New Member

I have not had a single reboot that I didn't perform. Granted I did have a moment where I ended up having to do a hard reset and that apparently fried the SIM card, but besides that, my phone has never rebooted on it's own, and I've had it for about 3 weeks now.

I'm hoping Gingerbread 2.3 will help this phone out, and we should be getting it soon.
  10. atlredninja

atlredninja New Member

Reboots

I too have had my phone reboot on me for no apparent reason. I have had the revolution for about 10 days now and it has rebooted about 4 times that I know of. Other than that, its an awesome phone.
  11. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

you have to remember the lte software is still basically in beta.

i have to wonder how someone skips a tbolt or a charge and gets the revo though...
  12. 3turner

3turner New Member

Well I went into the store today and spoke with the techs and the store manager who has the Revolution. They both said that no other customers have mentioned random reboots, however, the manager said that her Revolution was rebooting very often during the first two weeks she had it. She then said that when it was mentioned to the LG rep of the area, that the LG rep asked for the serial number of the phone and worked her "magic" and since that time, no more reboots for her phone. What that LG rep did...I don't know. But they got my phone serial number to pass over to the LG rep and we'll see if anything happens. After my last reboot on Sunday, I did a factory reset on the phone and since then have not had any reboots. One of the driving decisions to do that factory reset was to stop Backup Assistant. It was annoying me that I could not turn off the sync of that app...which is useless if my contacts are on Google. And of course, since then, I've not had any reboots...yet...*knock on wood*. I did mention that to the tech and manager at Verizon as well.

Hopefully they can resolve the reboots for me along with two other weird problems for me being not receiving phone calls every so often and not being able to sync (with Reader mainly and other apps) or hold a signal in a 3G area here at home which makes the browser time out often.

@bendystrawboy: I didn't go with the TB because of all the postings of the random reboots when I was researching phones (and I still got it anyhow with the Revolution LOL). When I researched the Revolution, there was no mention of reboots so I thought there were none. Then I didn't go with the Charge because my wife has that one and I don't really like the feel of it nor the shape of it...then the problem of it taking so long to charge. She of course loves it...except for the length of time it takes to charge which is not too bad for her because she is usually hooked up in the car when out and about.

Even if it ends up that would trade in the phone if the help from the LG rep fails to materialize...I like the Revolution enough to get a replacement as I was offered by the Verizon employees today....though I choose to seek the LG rep help first. If and when I do hear something back, I'll update here. Sorry for rambling on.
  13. djembeman

djembeman New Member

2.2.2 update caused random reboots.

I didn't have random reboot problems until I installed the 2.2.2 Froyo update. Verizon told me to do a factory data reset, but the problem has not gotten any better and possibly worse. I really hope we get a software update soon. This thing is pissing me off!!!!
  14. savageseas

savageseas New Member

I've been experiencing reboots as well. Got the phone august 17th. In the last month they have increased, I've noticed most of them are when using google maps and navigation. Ill pick the destination, the screen will go dark except for the status bar then reboot. Noticed it occasionally during sending texts too. ;(

Overall I'm not very happy with this phone.

Sent from my VS910 4G using DroidForums
Search tags for this page
android rvevolutions random reboot
hdo i reboot my lg revolution
how to stop lgvs910 restarting
lg connect random reboot
lg revolution randomly reboots
lg revolution rebooting
lg revolution reboots

lg revolution restarting

lg revolution restarting itself
lg revolution restarting on usb