1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Random reboots even after full SBF

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by hayjude99, Mar 13, 2011.

1. hayjude99

hayjude99 New Member

I had to SBF my DX after trying to restore to a backup that had been corrupted. I used the 2.3.340 full SBF and afterwards it has started randomly rebooting. I then SBF'ed again and it still reboots randomly.

This happened to a prior DX of mine and I thought it was a hardware problem, but that had started happening right when I got it so I thought it arrived defective, but I've had this one for a while. I would go send it to Verizon, but this is like my 6th DX (I had bad luck with the screen and the headphone jack) and I also want to stop this from happening in the future, because if I get another DX I will have to hack it... because I just will dancedroid

I was running rubiX on the first DX that I sent back, but this time I was running Liberty 1.5.

Thanks,
    H
  2. 13th angel

13th angel Developer Developer

Clear data/cache after sbf or it generally does that.

Sent from my Fissioned D2G
  3. hayjude99

hayjude99 New Member

Ill try that, thanks.

EDIT Nope still reboots.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  4. hayjude99

hayjude99 New Member

And did a factory data reset. I would like to add, that I am not re-rooting each time. Its doing this (quite frequently) on completely stock software.

I really would prefer not to be forever stuck on an unhacked DX.
  5. rissman1275

rissman1275 New Member

Same issue

I just activated my dx on Sat. Haven't even had time to really sit down and mess with it yet, only d/l 3 apps so far. But yesterday afternoon it rebooted 3 times in 30 mins. It is really annoying and I can't take it back because I bought it on ebay. If I had insurance on my bb storm will it cover this phone? I kinda doubt it but thought I would ask. If I was to clear its cache do I have to be root and which app ... X Bootstrap??
  6. CD95YJ

CD95YJ New Member

The reboots sound like a software issue. Try pulling your sd card and see if you still get reboots, if they stop I would say you have a bad file there. If not boot into recovery and clear cache and then do another factory reset. You may also have a bad file on your sbf. Are you using the .zip format or are you using rsdlite?

Rissman,
    As far as insurance, if you have asurion it covers what ever phone you are using.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  7. hayjude99

hayjude99 New Member

I will try the SD card tomorrow night when I am with my phone (left it at my dads house).

I already booted into recovery and cleared the data/cache to begin with.

I am using RSD lite i think 4.9? I look on the computer that I use to flash it tomorrow.
  8. CD95YJ

CD95YJ New Member

Yeah if your using your computer your using rsdlite. You might try redownloading the sbf to see if you have a corrupt file.

9. hayjude99

hayjude99 New Member

I shall tomorrow night.
  10. catastrophicbliss

catastrophicbliss New Member

I had a rooted X for a couple of weeks, and currently have an X that has never seen a root in it's life, and that one restarts itself as much as the rooted one did! I'm thinking it's something that they are going to have to find a way to fix via the next update if possible, because a lot of people are having the same troubles with the phone.
  11. hayjude99

hayjude99 New Member

I'd really like to think that, but it happened right after I had mesed with the phone. I tried restoring to a crap backup, which shouldn't mean anything, because I SBF'ed but I mean w/e, I just want the stability that my iPhone had, with the awesomeness and freedom of my DX dancedroid
  12. hayjude99

hayjude99 New Member

So I had been SBF'ing with RSD lite v4.8 with a full 2.3.340 sbf file.

Just took out the SD card and waiting for the phone to charge, so I can use it. I don't really see how a file on the SD card could cause (really) frequent reboots, if a reboot at all... But hopeful!

UPDATE: Still rebooting, even with the SD card out. Just rebooted 3 times in the last 5 minutes... I dont have time tonight to re-SBF it, seeing as it probably wont do much good anyway. Does anyone have an idea why this happens and if rooting/flashing a ROM to it would cause this? Otherwise I wont be able to justify re-rooting the replacement.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  13. CD95YJ

CD95YJ New Member

Most of the time the reboots happen when a file becomes corrupt. It very well could be a hardware issue, but it was my experience that I got reboots with a bad Android version. Did you try redownloading the SBF file to see if the one you are using has a corrupt file in it?

If you did I would SBF it back to complete stock and if it is still under warranty take it to Big Red for a replacement, if its not under warranty but you have insurance on it file a claim.

:icon_ banana:
  14. hayjude99

hayjude99 New Member

I don't have time to re-dl tonight, but I will tomorrow. And it's under warranty, yes, but this is my 6th phone, and they don't like me very much xD (they weren't all for this issue, I just have really bad luck in general).
  15. rissman1275

rissman1275 New Member

Ok I have now rooted d/l bootstrap recovery made a backup of my dx. Though I would try liberty 1.5 since everyone has said how stable it is. Thought this might take care of my reboot issues.

Step 1: d/l liberty 1.5 via phone to sd card. *now it is not in root of the sd card, it is in /sdroot/download/libertyX-1.5.zip could this have an issue?
    Step 2: Cleared cache and wiped data
    Step 3: Installed Liberty 1.5... no issues doing so, messed with settings, played around for a bit, changed theme... all is good... till I set it down. Reboot after reboot after reboot. Every 5 mins or so.
    Step 4: Cleared cache and wiped again... this time left liberty on... same issue.
    Step 5: Cleared and wiped again.
    Step 6: Installed org. backup.. Seemed to run smoother less reboots.. but really liked the quickness/snappyness of liberty. It was fast and I liked it...
    Step 7: Re-try steps 2-6 but pulled out sd card after all installed.. same issue...

Step 8: Help... any suggestions

I have done lots of reading on here. Since this is my first smartphone, thought I was doing good untill now.

Any suggestions.
  16. hayjude99

hayjude99 New Member

Do your reboots seem to happen in clusters? Mine come in waves. It will be working find for a couple of hours and then will get 3 reboots in 5 minutes.
  17. rissman1275

rissman1275 New Member

Not really when I was running Liberty it was non stop every 5-10 mins. If I was on it, it didn't seem to have a problem, but once I set it down it would go in to reboot mode.

Since my last post I have restored it to my orginal backup and haven't really seen a reboot yet. Which I don't really understand because that backup was from when I was getting reboots when it was still stock, no root or rom yet.

Think tonight I am going to d/l Liberty to my computer (instead of, from my phone) and see if that will help with rebooting w/ rom installed. Might try rubix or darkslide too.

I will post what I find out cause I like the ROMs but hate the REBOOTS.

Just so you know, I have only had this phone for 5 days so this is a learning experience.

Would anyone recommend formatting my sd card, or is the stuff on there really important? I know I would loose my apps and stuff but what else would I loose? Everything is backed up to google correct, i.e. contact info. That is the only thing I don't want to loose, since everything else can be re-d/led.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  18. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Well-Known Member

The phone or the OS itself is just plain buggy. Too many people with too many different apps, configs, ROM's etc... have this problem for it to be coincidence.

There is a flaw in the hardware, making it unstable, or the OS has issues that Google is not admitting to.
  19. CD95YJ

CD95YJ New Member

Did you redownload the sbf file and reflash? If you still have a buggy android version it wont matter what rom your running.

Download the sbf again and reflash, if that doesn't solve your issue I say its hardware and not software.

20. rissman1275

rissman1275 New Member

I haven't downloaded a sbf file yet. I just restored to the original backup that I made right after I rooted. So far since about noon (central time) it has not rebooted from what I can tell. The original was rebooting left and right when I first got it from ebay. The seller said it was new and had never been activated. I activated it on Sat. and it was "reboot happy" from the word go. I wanted something I could restore back to so I made a backup before I installed Liberty.