Random Mute

Bluiydangl

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have had my Droid for over a month, my husband got one the first day they arrived. We then convinced both of my parents to get one, who got one for my sister... So we have a full family of Droids. 4/5 of us are having random mute issues. the screen isn't activating and we are NOT pressing the mute button with our cheek. I just notice people randomly can not hear us during a conversation. Anyone have any idea what is happening? Anyone else have this issue?

Also had an issue the other day of the phone just turning itself off. I tried a hard reset, then tried plugging it in. Neither worked- took the phone to the verizon store and the service desk did a hard reset- it worked. Also had a minor issue of the blacklight on the slider keypad not working- but reactivated when charged. (it was no where near battery saving mode)...

cammur

Reaction score
Haven't had random mute, but yesterday the phone suddenly went to mute on all calls - I could hear others, they couldn't hear me, and thus they hung up. Toggling mute made no difference, nor did restarting the phone. If I turned on the speaker phone, people heard fine fine, then didn't hear when I toggled the speaker off on later calls.

Droid returned to normal functioning when I shut down, removed the battery, then reinstalled it.:)

itsdestiny

Reaction score
The random muting is a known issue in the Droid community. In other threads, Droid users have stated that they talked to both Verizon and Motorola about this and neither can do anything about it. Some have replaced their Droids with a 2nd/3rd Droid, but the same issue occurs. They say the sensitivity is just ridiculously sensitive. No one can explain how that's possible considering the screen remains dimmed.

My only answer is to wait for a firmware update and HOPE it fixes the mute issues this phone has. This, and call up Motorola and Verizon to complain so that they are pressured to fix this asap.

jenayaeger

Reaction score
I too am having similar issues. Thought it was just me--"operator error"--until I read other threads. On one of the other threads it recommended downloading the screen suite app (free trial or buy for $1.99) which has a "lock phone when on call" setting. This has worked almost perfectly...the fact that I had one unintentional muted call since I purchased it (yesterday) worries me, but it has fixed the problem to a large degree. I was using the trial at the time and was still figuring out settings...I'm hoping that is the reason it didn't work PERFECTLY.

cammur

Reaction score
As an update to my previous post (#2),the phone randomly going mute continued after upgrade to 2.1. It would still work on speaker, but toggling the mute button did nothing, and the mute never indicated that it was on. But a couple days ago battery restart did not cure it, and I called Verizon. I had called them in February so this was my 2nd call on the same issue; the first time they downloaded to me some kind of update and asked me to see if it made any difference. Obviously it didn't. They shipped me a replacement (refurbished) phone the next day.

The replacement phone definitely looked used - the plastic cover was badly smudged. There was no battery door, battery, or SD card; you reuse those from the previous phone. Reloading the new phone was not too bad, largely thanks to my having backed everything up to the SD card using the free app Astro File Manager. After 24 hours no Droid problems, but obviously this is too soon to know the random mute is now gone (and I haven't inherited someone else's random problem).

penguin-lover

Reaction score
:( The random muting is happening more frequently to me. The phone also phantom calls and I'm getting network errors for everything. When I zoom in on Google Maps it freezes and it seems like in general more is going wrong. After seeing the new iPhone I'm thinking about paying the early termination fee and just getting what I originally wanted anyway.

cammur

Reaction score
3rd droid

Well, here I am again with an update to my previous post (#5), which was in turn an update to my first post (#2).

My mute problem went away with the replacement Droid, but after a few days I found the camera was not working.

So I'm now on my 3rd Droid, all on warranty, and this one after a month plus seems to be working rather well. Hopefully that continues as I'm really happy with it now. LauncherPro Beta is very good, looks a lot like Froyo promises, and I also updated the keyboard to something more usable (I forget now which keyboard).

xCaldazar

Reaction score
Possibly your face is touching the add call button, I know that would mute it for me. The proximity sensor didn't work quite right on mine, this can also make the screen black out and make it difficult to get the screen back on during a call. I used an app called 'myLock phone tools' It gives the screen a green transparent color when the touch part is locked out. You then press the camera button to enable touch again.

The proximity sensor is to the left of the speaker on the front, there are apps to test your proximity sensor to test if it is function correctly.