Random freezing...?

Dr. Tenma

Reaction score
Hello Droid Forums! I love my Droid I bought yesterday but recently I have been having a problem.

I shut it down last night and when I tried to boot it up this morning from the power/lock button, I got no response. I tried battery pull but it did not work, I tried plugging it into USB charger and THEN battery pulling but that did not work either. All it would muster is a charge light.

I walked away for a few minutes and upon returning found it was finally beginning to work plugged into the USB charger, as I was greeted by the little opening eye animation. It booted up a bit confused, showing me vertical orientation in landscape mode, but when I turned it vertically it worked perfectly.

I checked my texts, opened Snesoid, closed Snesoid, checked G-Mail, closed G-Mail, then went to the built in Facebook app... and it froze again. Completely blank. I tried holding down the power button and it gave me the eye animation again, but then immediately froze at the point it should display my main menu.

I'm thinking this could be a charge problem, as the phone had only 15% remaining when I shut it down last night, but I plugged it in for thirty minutes or so before trying to load it at all this morning. I'm pushing the power right now and getting no response. I'm hoping it will work if I leave it plugged in long enough...

For the record, the apps installed aside from the obvious stock apps are Taskiller (recommended by the man at the Verizon store), Labrinth Lite, Extreme Snake, Pandora, Text to Speech Toy, Snesoid, GameBoid, GameBoid Lite, Nesoid, Weather Channel, Wifi Easy (I think that's the name, it's the featured app for turning WiFi on/off easily), Today's Wall Anime, Anime Droid (I believe this is the name, again, not sure, it's the manga viewer for the Droid), Ubunchu RTL, and... ah, I forget the name... the River and Jumping games with the little smiley face that looks like :mad:. It's Paco or Pico or something. My apologies for the unsureness on the names, I can't exactly check on the phone at the moment =P

Thanks and I hope if anything out of the ordinary is happening/solved this can help people in the future with this problem as well!

EDIT: Sorry, this probably belongs in the Troubleshooting board. I found this forum through Google on a topic with similar problems in General Discussion but a quick visit to the main page shows me there is a specific board for this type of thing. Feel free to move it if neccessary.

Last edited:

LordKastle

Reaction score
I am generally unaware when it comes to troubleshooting freezes on these phones as I have luckily not have not had to deal with it but some people have actually had issues with Taskiller. Some have said this may be the cause of some performance hiccups on the phone.

edit: Upon further review it seems like your phone had issues actually in regard to powering it back on after being off so the application may not even be in question in this case.

I am not going to suggest you uninstall it just yet. Just like you, I will be awaiting further responses.

OP
Dr. Tenma

Dr. Tenma

Reaction score
Thanks, I think that probably is the case. I posted the applications list in case but I think after being shut down that shouldn't affect it rebooting...

I did some research on the Verizon forums and it looks like reseating the battery either fixes it or it doesn't. For me... it doesn't. Supposedly Verizon says the only thing to do is to get a replacement phone... I really don't want too after all the customizing this one's got, but I guess that's about the only option if it won't even turn on... @.@

Here's the thread on Verizon if it helps:

Droid Won't Turn On - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

OP
Dr. Tenma

Dr. Tenma

Reaction score
All right, it's all working now. I tried hooking it up to the wall charger and it's on and charging- 5%. Not sure how it lost 10% overnight but oh well. The USB Charger apparently doesn't work beyond a certain point... good to know. Thanks again for your help, LK, although I'm still debating removing Taskiller =P

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Hey Doc it sounds like your problem is a result of a dead battery. You shut down at 15% last night and believe it or not some devices do drain 10% + while "off"

I would use the wall charger to charge it right now since it will juice it up pretty quick.

Report back your findings. I _think_ that may be the problem.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Just read your update. That was your problem: )

I don't understand the drain while off neither. What's even stranger is that I will lose more juice while "off" than when I leave it on.

I just leave the device on since noticing this. Not a big deal.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Just read your update. That was your problem: )

I don't understand the drain while off neither. What's even stranger is that I will lose more juice while "off" than when I leave it on.

I just leave the device on since noticing this. Not a big deal.

OP
Dr. Tenma

Dr. Tenma

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out about the on vs. off, that's what I plan to do too now. Thanks for your response and it is again working/charging perfectly! :)

thelion

Reaction score
Yeah, see at 15% your Droid is begging to be plugged in because it can lose power quickly - even when "off." At least you know it is a power issue and not a malfunction.

I plug mine in every night regardless of what the power level is (usually around 40%) and unplug it when I wake up. Mine stays up and running the whole day with moderate use.

vzwmandroid

Reaction score
hey if anyone is experiencing any freezing cycling rebooting dont waist your time just go back to the vzwstore you got the droid from and have it replaced asap

calpilot7

Reaction score
hey if anyone is experiencing any freezing cycling rebooting dont waist your time just go back to the vzwstore you got the droid from and have it replaced asap

My first one repeatedly rebooted and froze. I did a hard reset and it did
nothing to correct the issue. I thought about waiting until the 12/11 update but
ended up changing out the phone. The new one never reboots and is rock solid. Great phone, I prefer it to my previous iPhone.

Sleeve

Reaction score

Why, certainly. Rather than pointing at user education when you leave a Droid with 15% battery overnight not on a charger and expect more than a doorstop in the morning, by all means let's go stick it to the man.