random freezes and restarts droid x

rboutin2

Reaction score
Im sorry if this has been posted before but i just got my x like three days ago and now its been getting random restarts and has frozen up twice to the point i had to do a battery pull. And yesterday i killed the battery then went to charge it back up and it said 5% and wouldn't turn on. Unplugged it and it turned on but said i had a 50% charge on it. Should i consider taking it back to the store to get a replacement? Or are y'all experiencing these issues too?

getmoredroids

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem. I posted on another site and someone pointed me to your posting. Now removing the battery doesn't always get it to start back up. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion besides returning it....

racerflippy

Reaction score
Got my X the day of release. Recently my phone has been rebooting at least once a day, usually take place at night.

Boomslang

Reaction score
Hi, in summary: I'm having the same problem.
A little more detail: I also got the x on the release date, and it was great over the weekend. Then I decided that it was time to get music working, which was kind of a nightmare. Doubletwist works almost as poorly as WMP for me, and it was being used at the start of my troubles:
I was syncing with doubleTwist, but it took hours and it was time to head out, so I clicked the cancel button, and after syncing stopped, turned off the computer. I then unplugged the phone. On the way home, I kept hearing it restart.. over, and over, and over again. Since then, it has been restarting every few minutes UNLESS it is plugged into the computer via USB. Then it functions perfectly normally. Yesterday it became frozen on the Motorola start screen, which I noticed when the screen started to heat up dramatically. I had to pull the battery. I've done a system restart as well, no luck. I've also removed doubleTwist (it actually always says sync fails.. and as an aside, the only way I was able to get music working and ordered by Track#, not alphabetically, was to select USB mode "USB mass storage" and drag and drop music folders into the Music directory. I hope that helps someone), and advanced task killer (which would auto start every time the thing crashed before), still no luck.
Anybody try anything else? I'm concerned that if I get a replacement, it will simply do the same thing in a few months, or maybe when my warranty runs out.
"Should i consider taking it back to the store to get a replacement?" -rboutin2
I tried this, and was told by a useless employee that they're expecting a shipment next week, but no offer to put one aside for me. I contacted the salesman who I bought it from, and am awaiting reply. Either that, ship it out and wait for a new one to come in, or get an iphone 4.

Last edited:
OP
R

rboutin2

Reaction score
I bought mine at walmart on release day. got the last one at our walmart. Went there too exchange it, and they dont have any, and have no idea when they'll get some in. Went to verizon, and they said they can't touch it til after 31 from the date of purchase at walmart. So, I'm pretty much screwed.

getmoredroids

Reaction score
I have great news -- well, it was great for me. Rboutin2, have you tried updating the software (Settings --> About Phone --> System Updates). I checked and updates were available. After that, my phone has worked for 24 hours without a shutdown/freeze! Previously it wouldn't work for even 5 minutes without having to yank out the battery, and even then it might not start back up. Give that a try!

OP
R

rboutin2

Reaction score
I did the update, and it didnt really help. In fact, i have had worse problems with my wifi than it had before the update lol

kkwan77

Reaction score
I've experienced the random freezing and lagging but not reboots.

Anyone come up with a solution for this or the official word from VZW or Motorola?

OP
R

rboutin2

Reaction score
Small update. I got my replacement x from walmart last night. Was running fine til this morning, when i was on wifi, and browsing the market. Market had the usual network lost , retry error, so i went to turn off wifi, and then back on. and yet again, it wouldnt turn off. Has a dimmer green line under wifi in power control widget, and when I go to settings and wireless, it says cannot stop wifi. Anyone have a fix for this? I'm using a netgear WPN824 v3 router, and I was using WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] encryption at the time. I'm trying wep now. I'll post back later.

dodgerfan

Reaction score
Iv been having the same troubles, i couldnt go a day without having to take the battery out atleast 7 times. i even restored the phone back to the original factory settings, and it still had problems.

sda

Reaction score
Very similar problems here. However, I bought my DX the day of release, i.e. July 15, so I've been using it for a while without (serious) issues. However, on Friday, the phone started acting strange. First indication I got was when I couldn't disconnect a call: hit the End Call icon numerous times, also tried killing stuff through Advanced Task Killer but nothing helped. I did a batter pull and that seemed to resolve the issue.

Next problem: on Saturday evening I took a 1 min video clip without problems. However, when I tried to playback the video clip (twice), the app froze on me and I had to kill it. Got it home, connected to my computer and pulled the video clip to my computer and was able to play it fine. After disconnecting from the computer I tried to open my camera / camcorder app, both of which gave me a blank screen; I killed them. I then connected to my wall charger and all seemed ok. However, when I disconnected the charger a couple of hours later, the phone had a frozen screen showing 'Charging (30%)', while the top-right corner showed full charge. The screen was frozen; I just couldn't unlock the phone. I hit the top button to switch off the screen and left it overnight to see if the situation improved. Unfortunately it didn't and I had to do a battery pull this morning. Since then I have been ok.

I have a feeling it is one of these two actions which started the problems: blockbuster app upgrade (timing was very coincidental with my first freeze), or trying to remove my Facebook account (which hung on 'Removing account' twice and I had to kill it).

Maybe others who have had similar issues can post any specific actions that started their freezes?

Alive

Reaction score
give what a trie

I have great news -- well, it was great for me. Rboutin2, have you tried updating the software (Settings --> About Phone --> System Updates). I checked and updates were available. After that, my phone has worked for 24 hours without a shutdown/freeze! Previously it wouldn't work for even 5 minutes without having to yank out the battery, and even then it might not start back up. Give that a try!

Give what a trie

Alive

Reaction score
DancingNexus I wounder is this caused by Varizon to make every body get new phones and up date fron the driod X

oooitzalex

Reaction score
get a new battery. a lot of the times, a bad battery can make your phone do weird things such as random reboots, phone turning off randomly and even corrupting the phone's data. I was having similar problems and bought a new battery. After i put in the new battery, charged it and turned it back on my phone was running like normal. So try getting a new battery and if that doesn't work, you can always return the battery. Goodluck!