Ran another test on battery issues

nateccnn

Reaction score
So I bump charged and it seemed to improve my battery life. I then rooted and uninstalled allot of garbage ware. It seemed to improve the battery life. but I still had a dead battery before dinner time every day. I eventually got the extended battery and cut the cr@p out of my phone case to accommodate the hump back. Finaly I was getting good battery life. Slightly better than I got with my OG Droid. So yesterday I decided I wanted to see just how much good rooting and debloating did for me. I derooted. Back to stock all day and guess what happened. My battery has more juice tonight...ten percent more than I usually have at this time. Now...I would hardly call that a scientific test. But I should also say that I.used my phone more than usual today because we were testing some new network configurations we were working on today and my thunderbolt is the best device for the connectivity tests. It got a good workout today.

I did kill some apps with task killer. Mostly bloatware. I had to kill them twice but they did not.reappear after that. I think the OS learned which apps I use the most and moved the priority to them and demoted some of the bloatware.

I will keep running stock for a few more days to see how things go. I kind of like the idea of being unrooted now. I never planned to overclock this thing and wireless tether was my only reason for rooting...outside of the debloat for battery life. I can live with the Vz Hot Spot for 20 bucks per month. Never was a fan of custom roms.

I kept all the files I need for rooting on the laptop. History proves ill change my mind in a week.

Mate

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
8 hours 15 minutes and still have 75% battery. It's actually better now then when I was rooted and debloated. I can't believe this.

Nate

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
And one more test;

I set up a new account using Facebook for HTC. The battery drained a lot faster. I turned off the constant sync but the battery still drained a lot faster. I deleted the Facebook for HTC account and just use the Facebook account (not for HTC?) And the battery life is great again.

My guess is any update HTC issues in regards to battery life needs to address Facebook for HTC account settings.

BTW...I am still not rooted and still getting great battery life.

Nate

Last edited:

cpjr

Reaction score
Rooting has nothing to do with battery life. It doesnt, its not a running task and its not using any resources at all. Rooting is just a process of gaining read/write access to the file system which is usually protected/secure.

Now, my TB which is rooted, debloated, custom ROM, custom kernel overclocked to 1.5ghz and profile scaling setup.....gets MUCH MUCH MUCH better battery life then when it was stock. It has nothing to do with the fact that its rooted, but being debloated, the ROM, the kernel, etc, etc, makes the difference.

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
Did you read my post? I stated earlier that I tried debloating. The fact that I am not rooted might tip you off that I am no longer debloated...meaning that I am challenging your claim that debloating improved your battery life. I thought I saw an improvement at first too. Now I am testing other aspects and finding just as good results from simply turning off certain sync apps.

Nate