Ram

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mojohand, Feb 19, 2010.

1. mojohand

mojohand New Member

After rooting and installing a custom ROM, is it normal for RAM usage to increase dramatically? When running apkiller on my original setup, when everything was closed droid claimed I had 83MB free. Now the most I ever have free is 63MB even if everything is closed. Sometimes it even drops down to the 40s. Is this normal?
  2. 640k

640k Active Member

how many apps you got installed?
  3. mojohand

mojohand New Member

52 Total. This includes the ones that came with droid (alarm clock, contacts, phone....)
  4. pthance

pthance New Member

Are you using sholes? The have compache in their kernel which uses more memory but swaps it between programs, allowing for faster transitions between programs.
  5. meekless

meekless New Member

just a suggestion, but again any task killer is not necessary. the android os handles the use of RAM very efficiently. the one thing i did get from the market is MinFreeManager (there are others that do the same thing but i like the ease of use of this one)
    what this does different, is just change the android OS parameters of how is uses RAM, and leaves the app killing to the OS itself.
    I had a task killer since day one, and once I removed it permanently about a month ago, i noticed the changing between apps was much smoother because the OS doesnt have to repeatedly restart the app.
    I use a preset profile on the MinFreeManager (i picked the Mild profile), and everything runs so butter smooth.
  6. mojohand

mojohand New Member

Not using sholes. I did everything manually and I guess I am using the Adamz ROM? Whoever makes the smoked glass blue.
  7. mojohand

mojohand New Member

OK, I installed the minfreemanager APP and I don't get it. Do I have to manually shut down each app individually when I close it? One of the advantages of Advanced Task Killer was that I could instantly kill whatever I had running at that moment. Does minfreemanager just manage the memory better so that that is unnecessary?
  8. thedeathly

thedeathly New Member

Don't worry about the ram, the android os will kill unneeded processes if more ram is needed minfreemanager just allows you to change the paramaters of when it kills stuff. Set it on boot and on mild and let the os do the rest. Constantly killing apps is worse then not. Uninstall taskiller and forget about it. Android os isn't like windows where its better to jjst kill the ram hog.
  9. hollowbox

hollowbox New Member

What does set to boot do? In setcpu it seems to take me back to 600mghz every time I booand ihave to reset to 1ghz and refresh. Why not just choose your settings or preset and apply