Ram

Discussion in 'Droid Charge FAQ' started by Mordeth, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Mordeth

Mordeth Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do I increase my ram??? I am at 170 of 355.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

2. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Android uses its ram much differently than windows, we are used to wanting large numbers available at all times, but this is not necessary with android. When you run apps it puts them in the ram for later use, if you close out the app it will stay in there, waiting for you to use it again. If you do use it again it is ready to go. If not, the next app that needs that "reserved" ram will push the unused app out of ram and put itself in there. So even if your "available ram" is low (your figure is actually pretty high in my opinion) it isnt what it seems, you can have 5mb free ram and be running smoothly.

Hope that clarifies it a bit.

3. ahj4513

ahj4513 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why does droid charge only have 30 - 150 megabytes of free memory?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

4. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    The article below was actually written as an explanation of why 3rd party task killers are not needed, but it give a pretty good explanation of how the OS manages ram:
    [h=3]How Android Manages Processes[/h]In Android, processes and Applications are two different things. An app can stay "running" in the background without any processes eating up your phone's resources. Android keeps the app in its memory so it launches more quickly and returns to its prior state. When your phone runs out of memory, Android will automatically start killing tasks on its own, starting with ones that you haven't used in awhile.
    The problem is that Android uses RAM differently than, say, Windows. On Android, having your RAM nearly full is a good thing. It means that when you relaunch an app you've previously opened, the app launches quickly and returns to its previous state. So while Android actually uses RAM efficiently, most users see that their RAM is full and assume that's what's slowing down their phone. In reality, your CPU—which is only used by apps that are actually active—is almost always the bottleneck.
    [h=3]
    Why Task Killers Are (Usually) Bad News
    [/h]Apps like Advanced Task Killer, the most popular task killer in the Market, act on the incorrect assumption that freeing up memory on an Android device is a good thing. When launched, it presents you with a list of "running" apps and the option to kill as many as you want. You can also hit the Menu button to access a more detailed "Services" view, that lists exactly which parts of each application are "running", how much memory they take up, and how much free memory is available on your phone. This set-up implies that the goal of killing these apps is to free up memory. Nowhere on the list does it mention the number of CPU cycles each app is consuming, only the memory you'll free by killing it. As we've learned, full memory is not a bad thing—we want to watch out for the CPU, the resource that actually slows down your phone and drains your battery life.
    Thus, killing all but the essential apps (or telling Android to kill apps more aggressively with the "autokill" feature) is generally unnecessary. Furthermore, it's actually possible that this will worsen your phone's performance and battery life. Whether you're manually killing apps all the time or telling the task killer to aggressively remove apps from your memory, you're actually using CPU cycles when you otherwise wouldn't—killing apps that aren't doing anything in the first place.
    In fact, some of the processes related to those apps will actually start right back up, further draining your CPU. If they don't, killing those processes can cause other sorts of problems—alarms don't go off, you don't receive text messages, or other related apps may force close without warning. All in all, you're usually better off letting your phone work as intended—especially if you're more of a casual user. In these instances, a task killer causes more problems than it solves.

5. ahj4513

ahj4513 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for explaining to me. I am glad that the forum has educated individuals like you.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

6. mattamous

mattamous Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I recently flashed imo 6.1 sense kernel and it seems like I have a lower amount of available ram. Is this normal or am I imagining things?

7. geoff5093

geoff5093 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I've never noticed it or heard anyone complain about that.

8. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +55
    How much ram do you have? Chances are the kernel is maximizing the ram usage. Free ram on android is useless. So the more used the better.

9. pogibry

pogibry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see how that can make sense, however I notice my phone is a ton less laggy wen I have more RAM available.... maybe just me but I've had a ton of ROM's and I have def noticed a trend on that, IMO :D

10. mattamous

mattamous Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It sits at a total of 460 ish but before the kernel, seemed well into the high 500's. That's with what's being used and available. Seems like facebook runs 50+ mbs and so occasionally I'll kill it using the running services on the phone. I know I shouldn't be but seems like it helps the battery a little.