Ram use....

Kippygal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy 6s edge
This is annoying me. Is there a way to free this up? S6 edge (not +)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-10-09-17-25.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-10-09-17-25.png
    334.7 KB · Views: 191

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

I personally don't see a problem. Android tends to do a great job of managing memory and it appears to be doing its job. If you had no free memory you would have a problem.

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome! As Leeshor said, it appears to be functioning normally. RAM is Random Access Memory. The system loads info into it for quick access, reducing load times. The system also automatically moves info out of RAM as needed to free up space. As long as there's SOME left, it's safe to assume the system is doing what it was designed to do. Clearing EVERYTHING out of RAM will only frustrate you more, because it will take longer to load certain applications.

It helps to think of RAM like a desk. You put the papers you're working on on your desk. You may have Facebook papers on top because that's what you're currently using, but that doesn't mean that you take the Instagram and Twitter papers off your desk just to use the Facebook papers. You leave them in the pile of papers so you can refer back to them quickly. Now, when your desk gets full and you haven't used the Instagram papers in a quite a while, you might take them off of the desk to make room for your Angry Birds papers. This is basically what the Android OS does with data in RAM. Hope that helps to clarify, rather than being more confusing.

OP
K

Kippygal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy 6s edge
Welcome! As Leeshor said, it appears to be functioning normally. RAM is Random Access Memory. The system loads info into it for quick access, reducing load times. The system also automatically moves info out of RAM as needed to free up space. As long as there's SOME left, it's safe to assume the system is doing what it was designed to do. Clearing EVERYTHING out of RAM will only frustrate you more, because it will take longer to load certain applications.

It helps to think of RAM like a desk. You put the papers you're working on on your desk. You may have Facebook papers on top because that's what you're currently using, but that doesn't mean that you take the Instagram and Twitter papers off your desk just to use the Facebook papers. You leave them in the pile of papers so you can refer back to them quickly. Now, when your desk gets full and you haven't used the Instagram papers in a quite a while, you might take them off of the desk to make room for your Angry Birds papers. This is basically what the Android OS does with data in RAM. Hope that helps to clarify, rather than being more confusing.
No I get it, I've worked on computers for a long time. I actually used to write programs in DOS. :) however I'm very new to Android as far as changing anything. I have never modded a device, don't plan to yet. There is something going on with my phone though I removed a bunch of apps that I don't remember downloading but they were in the downloaded folder. It seems to be working better. I do have that problem with the brightness changing even though I do not have auto brightness selected.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
There are a couple of ways to adjust the brightness on Galaxy devices. Go into system settings, display, make sure screen mode is set to Standard, not adapt display. Also, make sure the "auto adjust" box is unchecked there as well, as it's independent from the auto adjust box in your notification drop down.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Welcome to DF!
As far as the screen brightness changing....I noticed with my Edge+ that when I had the "Power Saving Mode" enabled the screen brightness would constantly change and sometimes stay so dim that I could not see very well.