1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[RAM Tweak] ~ Free Up More RAM, Make Apps Load Faster ~

Discussion in 'Steel Droid' started by BrUhNiGGs, Feb 27, 2012.

1. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

[HR][/HR]​
    This a good tweak for those devices that have low ram like the Motorola Droid A855. It works for any devices btw.
    I give credit to Nibras Reeza & Danzano from XDA. Just trying the spread this tweak out
    :happy3:

Original thread is here: (TWEAK'S) Deodex/odex tweak build.prop tweaks etc - xda-developers

This requires edits in build.prop and the use of terminal emulator.

**Make a nandroid backup before proceeding -- just for safety purposes. Author of this does is not responsible for any damage that this may cause to your device.**
    [HR][/HR]
    WAIT. Before you start, I'm going to say it again, make a NANDROID BACKUP. Also, if you have any V6 Supercharger tweaks installed, un-supercharge before doing these tweaks. Once finished, you may re-supercharge.

1) Open Terminal Emulator on phone or adb shell from PC and type the following.

Code:
    [SIZE=4]su
    setprop dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode false
    setprop dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags v=n,o=v[/SIZE]
    As shown:
    [​IMG]

[HR][/HR]
    2) Add these lines to the bottom of build.prop using Root Explorer -- or any other app of your favorite.

(If lines starting with dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode or dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags exist already in build.prop, please modify them as shown below. Obviously if it isn't already in build.prop, just add it in.)

Code:
    [SIZE=4]dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode = false
    dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=v=n,o=v[/SIZE]
    As shown:
    [​IMG]

After this, run these two commands in adb shell or terminal emulator

**If you are using the Motorola Droid 1, PLEASE skip this part and go to step 3. Thank you.**

Code:
    [SIZE=4]rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
    rm /cache/dalvik-cache/*
    reboot [/SIZE]

[HR][/HR]
    **This step is ideal for OG Droid users -- only.**

3) Okay, this step is only for those who experience errors from typing the following lines from Step 2:
    rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
    rm /cache/dalvik-cache/*

**If you got the error, make sure to undo the tweak since now you are probably experiencing FC's right now and start all over. The undo process is located at bottom of this post.**

So just make sure you have done Step 1 and the edits of build.prop from Step 2 correctly. After that, reboot into recovery and clear cache partition and clear dalvik-cache. Thats all.

[HR][/HR]
    Advantages:
    • More free RAM.
    • Faster launch for system & user apps during the second launch.
    • Gives as much as of a performance boost as ODEX without odexing. Themer friendly.
    • Smoother app switching.
    Disadvantages:
    • Might break some apps. ( I have not had any break you probably wont either but you have been warned!!!! )
    [HR][/HR]
    How to UNDO this tweak

Type the following in adb shell or terminal emulator

Motorola Droid 1 users, skip the 3rd and 4th lines. That starts with "rm" and instead, reboot in recovery and clear cache partition and dalvik-cache

Code:
    [SIZE=4]su
    setprop dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode true
    rm /data/dalvik-cache/*
    rm /cache/dalvik-cache/*
    reboot[/SIZE]

CREDIT GOES TO: Nibras Reeza & Danzano from XDA
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Nice, thanks for posting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  3. KJW979

KJW979 New Member

Thanks, can't wait to try.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  4. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Interesting. Definitely thanks for sharing as well as bringing it to our attention. Curious as to whether this just got discovered or was buried in the archives somewhere? I'll always appreciate any kinda boost for the OG. It deserves it to say the least, they don't make em like they used to :)

Sent from my OG using DroidForums
  5. KJW979

KJW979 New Member

Have a question, after first step I got the error, so went thru the 3 steps as stated above but on 3 step after typing in rm /cache/dalvik-cache/* i got an error again. I didn't after typing in first line. Does that mean i tdidn't work?
  6. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

Here maybe i can simplify this for you:

Just do the first step without the rm /cache/dalvik-cache/* lines. Edit build.prop with the values given in step 2. Reboot recovery, clear cache partition and dalvik cache. That's it and tweak is done :)

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk
  7. KJW979

KJW979 New Member

Thanks, going to give it one more try. First time this killed my phone, slow as molasses, constant freezes/fc, had to pull battery numerous times. On top of that my nanodroid ended up with a mismatched md5 so had to go back to a old backup, oh well. What works for one might not for another.

8. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

Alright just make sure you untweak first and untweak the values from build.prop to start fresh using the method at the bottom of the First post just with the rm cache line. Then do as I said above.
    The reason why your phone felt slow and got FC's is because one of the lines in terminal worked but the second didnt -- referring to the rm cache.

9. KJW979

KJW979 New Member

Thanks again, unfortunately I know only almost nil when it comes to coding and such, so if I tweak something and then it works its great but if it doesn't not much knowledge in finding problem, truthfully surprised haven't bricked my phone yet with all ROMS and tweaks I've flashed. Try to learn what I can as I go along. Again thanks for info.

10. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

I too, don't know much about coding either ;)
    I just simply followed directions over at the original thread at XDA and got it to work.
    Maybe if you follow closely into my simplified instructions, you can get it to work :)

Also make sure that you have un-supercharged before this process.
  11. KJW979

KJW979 New Member

Hopefully not being a P.I.A. but currently on PE rom when go into build.prop to add or modify the lines, the line dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags shows up twice. Do i need to modify both lines or just one? And after adding second line should i leave a blank line so it will stick, I remember reading somewhere it stated that after adding a line to tweak build.prop should leave blank line to get it to stick. Appreciate all help giving this novice.

Edit:well tried again & so far so good, just edited the one line & left space after editing. Lines stayed in build.prop. Give at run for a few days see how itgoes.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  12. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

Yeah, if the line was originally in build.prop, just edit the values. No need to add the same line. And correct, for future reference you always have to leave a blank after.

13. metalspring

metalspring New Member

BrUhNiGGs, mind if i add this to my tweaks thread? i think it's nice having just about any tweak you can think of all packed up in one thread
  14. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

Go for it. Just make sure you give credit to Neebras Reeza (original creator) and Danzano from XDA and me :)

15. alucardx

alucardx New Member

just made this change and re-v6'd. Don't notice a difference yet, but we'll see.
  16. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs New Member

Updated the OP, made it more organized -- added pics for examples. Simplified the directions as much as I could. It may look confusing but if you really just read it all its not.
  17. metalspring

metalspring New Member

fyi, i think the commands in terminal are pointless for the og droid and maybe for all devices..setprop is basically what the build.prop does so just adding those to it do the same thing as running setprop in terminal...
    feel free to check, all you have to do is replace setprop with getprop and drop the value part, for example
    Code:
    getprop dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode
  18. meishkov

meishkov New Member

so "setprop" just sets it temporarily and doesn't stick on reboot...and "getprop" does the same thing (inputs into build.prop) except is permanent and sticks after reboot?
  19. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Setprop just sets it temporarily and getprop just tells you what is already set
  20. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Ah, I see, gotcha. Makes sense I suppose. Hoping SD 10.0 gets its bugs fixed and give it a go and apply this tweak. Have you done this yet and if so does it actually work like noticeably? I'm very curious

Sent from my OG using DroidForums
Search tags for this page

android ram tweak

android ram tweaks
how to free up more ram on android

how to free up ram on droid x2

how to get more free ram on android
how to get more ram on android

how to make videos load faster on android

ram tweak android
ram tweak xda
ram tweaks android