Ram? Am I going crazy over nothing...

How do you feel about ram. Will 512mbs hold its own over the next year?

• 512mbs ram is too low

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 512mbs ram is just fine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alot of the newer phones that Verizon is releases only have about 512mbs of ram. Isn't this low? Doesn't this set these phones up for software issues in the future..say a year from now. Wouldn't ram be even more important than dual core processing speed?

Or am I going crazy over nothing. Does the android os handle things so efficiently that 512 is enough?

I know this is all subjective, but I am a power user...i do alot with my phone and need to know if I am wrong in thinking that 512 is too low. What are your opinions?

Sent from my fascinate

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Alot of the newer phones that Verizon is releases only have about 512mbs of ram. Isn't this low? Doesn't this set these phones up for software issues in the future..say a year from now. Wouldn't ram be even more important than dual core processing speed?

Or am I going crazy over nothing. Does the android os handle things so efficiently that 512 is enough?

I know this is all subjective, but I am a power user...i do alot with my phone and need to know if I am wrong in thinking that 512 is too low. What are your opinions?

Sent from my fascinate

From what I hear its computer grade ram in the newer moto devices not sure if it makes a dif but that's what I hear

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Computer grade ram sounds pretty good. But is the Android OS going to be able to take advantage of this new hardware within the next year? Do advanced apps and games need more than 512mbs? I wonder if ice cream sandwich is going to be more memory intensive.

Sent from my fascinate

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
I think 512 MB (not Mbs) of RAM is plenty for a phone. These phones dont run exactly like a computer so having that much RAM is plenty but you will run into problems when you need to run programs that need alot of memory like some 3D games when the OS is hogging up a lot of it.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do want to be able to run 3d games in the future, although I run some now on my fascinate and they run fine.

Sent from my fascinate

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
my droid 1 doesn't have 512mb of ram..and it usually has about 60mb free

i don't know why everyones clamoring over 512 of 1mb of ram on a phone, most people are sitting at home running xp with 256mb of ram.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
You make a good point. XP is a solid OS.

Sent from my fascinate