Raised Keyboards vs Flat

strobez395

Reaction score
I'm not making it up...When I first got the phone I told everyone, the only thing about this phone i dont like is the keyboard. Completely flat. I couldnt text without looking, it was impossible. Now my keys are raised. I can even post a picture tomorrow. My droid is the first build also.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
I'm not making it up...When I first got the phone I told everyone, the only thing about this phone i dont like is the keyboard. Completely flat. I couldnt text without looking, it was impossible. Now my keys are raised. I can even post a picture tomorrow. My droid is the first build also.

I don't find this too hard to believe. Probably when they keyboard rubber mat thing is layed on the phone and adhered to the keys its under some kind of pressure. After some use they become alittle loose and raise. Normal wear and tear that is beneficial?
I rarely use my keyboard but my keys definitely are raised some.

Wagner :motdroidvert:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Please post it.

I havent used the keyboard since Swype but I'm curious.

CKyle22

Reaction score
Mine has raised keys. My mother's has flat keys.

I thought I was imagining it, and now I might need a replacement Droid so this really sucks... I don't want to swap it out for one with flat keys.

EDIT: I'm almost positive I had flat keys when I first got mine as well. My dad's has flat keys too and he never uses the keyboard. So maybe what the above posts are saying is true.

nyijedi

Reaction score
You know, when I first read the post saying the keys got "less flat" with use, I thought the poster was crazy....but after a solid month of using the physical keyboard, I think this is actually true.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dude,

People would pay for raised keys - they are easier to type on.

Mine has raised keys. My mother's has flat keys.

I thought I was imagining it, and now I might need a replacement Droid so this really sucks... I don't want to swap it out for one with flat keys.

EDIT: I'm almost positive I had flat keys when I first got mine as well. My dad's has flat keys too and he never uses the keyboard. So maybe what the above posts are saying is true.

zero7404

Reaction score
in response to the op: the blackberry physical keyboard has not yet been conquered by any other smartphone keyboard, physical or virtual....

rmart88

Reaction score
I Bought my Droid Nov 9, 2009... i have the raised keys. A Friend of mine bought hers the end of Jan 2010 and she has the flat keys... This leads me to believe early droids had riased (bubbled) keys and latter droids have the flat keys... but im pretty sure i saw some one say they bought there's before me, and they have the flat keys.... is it possible they made both Keys simultaniously?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought on day one and have flat.

I Bought my Droid Nov 9, 2009... i have the raised keys. A Friend of mine bought hers the end of Jan 2010 and she has the flat keys... This leads me to believe early droids had riased (bubbled) keys and latter droids have the flat keys... but im pretty sure i saw some one say they bought there's before me, and they have the flat keys.... is it possible they made both Keys simultaniously?

CKyle22

Reaction score
I'm still convinced that the keys become raised after use. I didn't realize this till my friend just got his droid. I completely forgot mine was 100% flat when I first bought my droid and how much I hated it until I was installing an application for him on his and the first second I touched his keyboard I remembered how mine used to be. And mine is raised now.

That doesn't really make much sense but I can tell you all for certain that there are two different keyboards. I had to have my Motorola Droid replaced today and the keys on this one are flat. my first droid had raised keys and they had a kind of sheen to them took a little more effort to press down on them.
Use the keys on the new one. They raise after use.

zakany

Reaction score
Sure this just isn't unit-to-unit differences? They feel like bubble buttons under the keyboard cover. Might some not be more domed than others by chance? Could covering stretch allow the buttons to extend more with time and usage?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Got my phone in mid November and the keys were totally flat. When I first heard about the two types of keyboards, I held my droid up to a light and sighted down the keyboard and the keys were totally level. You absolutely could not feel any difference as slid your finger across the keys.

NOW however, they are bubbled. Not as raised as I would like, but better now. My Droid is morphing!!

strobez395

Reaction score
This was my post:

I'm glad I'm not alone! I am very happy mine are bubbled now!

Nickdroid86

Reaction score
I've owned both, flat key ones come in a square box, raised key ones come in a long rectangle shape box. I'm not sure of the other differences, sorry to bring up the old thread, I now have bubbles keys and no, they didn't bubble after use they are each perfectly designed and same shape and 100% designed this way.