Raised Keyboards vs Flat

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
My keys, to me, look more like the second pic. I will compare it with a droid a friend just got last week that was preloaded with 2.0.1 to see if there is a difference.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
OK, quick pdate. They def shipped with two diff keyboards. The odd thing is, I got my droid on the day it came out and it has a more rounded keyboard than the replacment they just sent me.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Elysian post up some pics with your homescreen visible as well.

I'm curious if there in fact devices in the wild like this.

Thanks

I'll have to do it when I get home, I'm sitting at my computer at work right now, no other camera besides my Droid... It's also hard to actually see, it's more of a feel thing. The keyboard on the Droid at the Verizon store that I tried before ordering my Droid had flat keys, the difference is subtle, but noticeable. Haven't used my cousin's Droid yet, but I asked him about this, and he confirmed his keys are the same way as mine, slightly bulgy.
If they are rounded like in the pic it will be noticeable.

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
OK, quick pdate. They def shipped with two diff keyboards. The odd thing is, I got my droid on the day it came out and it has a more rounded keyboard than the replacment they just sent me.

Weird. take pictures of the two before you mail the one back.

Elysian where's the picks?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Perfect...post up a side by side comparison pic. So we can see this.

Leave the homescreen on as well..

Thanks Erron.

Elysian

Reaction score

Weird. take pictures of the two before you mail the one back.

Elysian where's the picks?

Played too much Forza 3 and Modern Warfare 2 last night, forgot all about it :mad:

scully

Reaction score
Just got my Droid 4 hours ago and I have the flat keyboard

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
Return of the Dead Thread!!!!!!!!!

Random post here but just got a replacement Droid via Fedex and found something interesting. Did a direct comparison a second ago.

My first Droid is a 41/09 build and the new one is 49/09 build.

The old one had a completely flat keyboard and the newer one has flat keys, BUT there is a ridge that runs horizontally b/t the rows of keys.

The keyboard is slightly raised between the bottom row and the next row up and also between rows A and Q. Sort of like two mountain peaks if you were to go from blank key>shift key>A>Q.

Barely raised. Maybe a mm difference but noticeable. Hmm Weird. Def not bubbled keys though.

Anyone else noticed this? I think i prefer the old build better. feels odd on the new one, like i'm going to press the del key too far into the housing (since it's on a downward slope).

Silver Member
Reaction score
i've owned three droids

39/09 and two 41/09s. my wife owns a 47/09.

the keybaords are/were identical between all four of them. the keys are bubbled.

Woork

Reaction score
I've owned two Droids, the first one had a flat keyboard and was returned because it had really bad battery life. The first was opened right out of the package. The second has bubbled keys and was provided already opened by a tech at a corporate store.

It was one of the first things I noticed and took quite a while to get used to.

strobez395

Reaction score
I think there is a chance the keys may get rounded after use...mine was very flat when I got it back in november and the only thing i did not like about the phone was the keyboard. Now my keys are rounded and i can type easily without looking which i was completely unable to do when I first got the phone.. where do we find the build? I will tell you what mine is.

pb8185

Reaction score
it just takes getting used to, as long as it's a good size and decently spaced, you'll remember the key locations... now I don't even have to look at my keyboard and I type perfectly. I have a flat keyboard.

strobez395

Reaction score
I'm still convinced that the keys become raised after use. I didn't realize this till my friend just got his droid. I completely forgot mine was 100% flat when I first bought my droid and how much I hated it until I was installing an application for him on his and the first second I touched his keyboard I remembered how mine used to be. And mine is raised now.

MochaDemure

Reaction score
I'm still convinced that the keys become raised after use. I didn't realize this till my friend just got his droid. I completely forgot mine was 100% flat when I first bought my droid and how much I hated it until I was installing an application for him on his and the first second I touched his keyboard I remembered how mine used to be. And mine is raised now.

That doesn't really make much sense but I can tell you all for certain that there are two different keyboards. I had to have my Motorola Droid replaced today and the keys on this one are flat. my first droid had raised keys and they had a kind of sheen to them took a little more effort to press down on them.