Raised Keyboards vs Flat

naman919

Reaction score
Checkout this thread over on Android Central: Flat/Raised keyboard (pics) - Android Central Forums

For starters, who can confirm that there is in fact a slightly raised keyboard on a newer build hardware being shipped/sold?

I'm still waiting till Christmas to get my Droid, but have been following various outlets about the hardware/software.

If a refined hardware does exist can we add a poll with build numbers vs keyboard types? I would add one, but as i don't have one, i have no idea of build dates/numbers.

From the AC thread, it seems hard to tell them apart though, so this might be a moot point.

Ideas?

I tried to search and didn't find anything on this. if there is a thread about this, please move/delete this one accordingly. Thanks!

Elysian

Reaction score
Mine is slightly raised, keys slightly bubbled, so is my cousins. Dunno the build date though, where do I check?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The dummy units have raised keys. So I am assuming that pic is of the dummy units keys.

Go into a best buy and you will see the raised keys on the dummy's

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
My flat keyboard blows compared to something like the blackberry, I'll be pissed if they come out with a better keyboard so soon and I have to live with mine.

Mine is slightly raised, keys slightly bubbled, so is my cousins. Dunno the build date though, where do I check?

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score

Found this on another forum:
"Theres a date underneath the battery. Mine says 43/2009."

The first number is the build week followed by year.

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
The dummy units have raised keys. So I am assuming that pic is of the dummy units keys.

why would they make a different keyboard mold for the dummy models?

Also, it seems the OP of the thread i mentioned has typed on both models. Implying that they're functional.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

why would they make a different keyboard mold for the dummy models?

Also, it seems the OP of the thread i mentioned has typed on both models. Implying that they're functional.
no idea but I when I pre-ordered the Droid she gave me a dummy to look at. The keys were exactly like the ones in the pic.

If some live pics of working devices come in then that post has some merit until then I'm skeptical but I can tell you that the dummy units do in fact have raised keys (at least at the BB in L.A.)

Culver City to be exact : )

Last edited:
OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score

and 46/09 build date. So they do exist? Have you seen any other Droids you've compared yours too? I mean have you noticed theirs being flatter?

LordKastle

Reaction score
If they ever did decide to make the buttons blocky then I am just happy I got my original build. The last thing I want is a toddler's toy in my hand.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Elysian post up some pics with your homescreen visible as well.

I'm curious if there in fact devices in the wild like this.

Thanks

Elysian

Reaction score
Elysian post up some pics with your homescreen visible as well.

I'm curious if there in fact devices in the wild like this.

Thanks

I'll have to do it when I get home, I'm sitting at my computer at work right now, no other camera besides my Droid... It's also hard to actually see, it's more of a feel thing. The keyboard on the Droid at the Verizon store that I tried before ordering my Droid had flat keys, the difference is subtle, but noticeable. Haven't used my cousin's Droid yet, but I asked him about this, and he confirmed his keys are the same way as mine, slightly bulgy.