1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Radio App that does not buffer all the time

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by rgn2000, Mar 25, 2010.

1. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

Does anyone know why an app for radio stations (ex Streamfurious, Iheartradio, etc) cannot be created that does not buffer all the time? Everyone I have tried gets a good buffer to get going (upto 128kbs) and then sometimes it works very well and then other times they buffer every few minutes and you have to hit stop and play again. Now I am not talking about when cell signals are low. I am also not talking about Pandora or Slacker type services. They don't buffer at all and their quality is streamed at 128kbs. The radio apps are mostly streaming at 32kbs and yet buffer constantly.
  2. joshnichols189

joshnichols189 New Member

You might want to try radio time.. I never have any buffering issues with it and I use it all the time, mostly for 20-30 minutes at a time
  3. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

I was thinking of trying that but reviews did not seem all that good and people also say that a lot of the stations on the website are not in the app. Could you tell me if it has WEEI out of Boston? Or WEAE out of Pittsburgh?

Thanks
  4. solar

solar New Member

I've found that it works way better then any of the free ones i've tried, and i've tried a handfull of them (cherry player, iheart, etc). This buffers less then any other i've tried and the sound bit rates on most stations are good 96+. I would definetely recommend this app. I looked up those stations for you and they both show up. The are both sports talk right? One is an espn station...
  5. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

Yes they are sports stations. Thanks for looking them up and I will give it a try.
  6. solar

solar New Member

No problem. Enjoy! :)
  7. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

Well I finally gave Radio Time a try. I was waiting till I knew I would be in my car a lot to give it a good test and if it didn't I would get a refund. I must say that this app is AWESOME!! I cannot believe how well it performed. I was on the road a lot this morning and afternoon and it only buffered 2 times and it was because of cell coverage for sure. Thanks for pushing me to try this, I wish I had tried it much sooner.
  8. joshnichols189

joshnichols189 New Member

Glad you enjoyed it =]
  9. solar

solar New Member

Cool, I think the app work pretty well too.Its really nice to have streaming radio in my pocket! I'm glad it worked out for you. Droids are fun!
  10. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 New Member

+100 great supporter of radiotime, they respond quick with problems, the app is awesome. I use it for hours at a time and love it. would probably pay a subscription fee if I had to, thats how much I love this app.
  11. jasonb

jasonb New Member

DroidLive lets you manually select how much of a buffer to use. i'm sure the longer buffer settings will work better in areas with spotty service.
  12. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt New Member

I use DroidLive for internet radio on my phone.
  13. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

I sied Droidlive a while back and it buffered all the time regardless of spotty areas. I found this will all radio apps except for Radio Time.
  14. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt New Member

Yes DroidLive does buffer sometimes but not often. I also use iheartradio and RadioTime. Personally RadioTime is my favorite but they need to add the station i downloaded it for. Bouncing back and forth from RadioTime and iheartradio for different stations can get annoying. RadioTime should be able to add stations that iheartradio can pick up with NO problems.
  15. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Are you aware that iheartradio is owned by Clear Channel (the largest radio station owner in the US) and that they don't allow RadioTime to stream their channels? That might be your problem.
  16. ThePravus

ThePravus New Member

ClearChannel doesn't want to spend the money to have the infrastructure to support iHeartRadio completely. Remember old media corps (newspaper, magazine, radio) hate the internet.

If droid live is buffering it is not the fault of the app. It is just a interface to listen to Shoutcast stations. Each station is hosted independently. If its hosted on some guys ADSL at home, its probably going to suck.
  17. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt New Member

Yeah some of the stations i'm talking about aren't owned by Clear Channel though.
  18. acturbo

acturbo New Member

This question is sort of off topic but can anyone who has the paid version of droidlive chime in here. On the paid version, after increasing buffer size do you see a noticeable difference in the amount of audio drop outs or is it about the same? Thanks
  19. shugknight

shugknight New Member

Has anybody tried A Online Radio? I just dled it last night and so far I think it's been great. Not too much buffering going on.
  20. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I upper mine from 3,000ms to 10,000ms very recently. I haven't had much time to test to see if there is a difference yet. I will try and let you know.
Search tags for this page
i heart radio buffering
iheartradio is constantly stopping and buffering
radio apps that dont buffer
say about pandora buffering
slacker radio buffering
what can be done with radio buffing all time
what is best app for android radio with no buffering

why does i heart radio buffer so much

why does i heart radio keep buffering
why does iheart radio keep buffering
why does iheartradio buffer so much