1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Radar Detector...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by autoxinvr6, Jan 8, 2010.

1. autoxinvr6

autoxinvr6 New Member

So. First off, I'm brand new to Android and smart phone and all that stuff... But anyway.

I was thinking on the way home today, wouldn't it be awesome to be able to usb/bluetooth the droid to a remote police radar/laser sensor and have an app that works as a digital radar interface to display contacts, ect while it was mounted on the windshield?

I remember a few days ago while researching "carputer" stuff that a fella made a box that harnessed the phone type connectors of his Valentine V1 to his car computer. The actual unit was mounted in the grill and connected to his car computer through his self made box and displayed through his car computer touch screen through software he designed.

Obviously I have no idea where to start but I do know the Passport makes a Detector device that syncs with your computer and GPS for software updates and to filter out false radar alarms and known police "speed traps" ect...

Maybe there is a way to exploit the USB connection and use it as a remote sensor for a Droid app to read/use in real time...

Maybe there's a way to use the telephone cable remote sensors of the remote kits into something for the Droid?

Maybe I'm just dreaming... Any thoughts?
  2. autoxinvr6

autoxinvr6 New Member

3. 1033

1033 New Member

pretty much any electronic device can be interfaced to android with an arduino microcontroller and a BlueSMiRF bluetooth modem.
  4. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I like the idea of porting GPS derived data to the display in a reversed sense, you then place on dash and the reflected normal image is "presto" poor man's HUD... :)
  5. swickdick

swickdick New Member

Don't know how to do it but props to you for pursuing it. F da PO lice
  6. Audiophobe

Audiophobe New Member

I'd buy that (as long as it was easy to use)!
    Let us know what you find out.
  7. NaterGator

NaterGator New Member

Small world! I'm a studying Electrical Engineer and was thinking about this same thing the other day when I got my navi-dock. I have a V1 and I'm thinking of making this a fun tinkering project with a few cheap off the shelf parts.

I'm thinking it can probably be done relatively inexpensively with an Arduino or FPGA and a BT chip, though if people want to DIY their own it'd probably be best to do in Arduino since that's the easiest/most foolproof with off-the-shelf stuff from a site like sparkfun.

If I jump into it I'll update, but it should definitely be feasible.
  8. autoxinvr6

autoxinvr6 New Member

Well unfortunately I don't really know/understand enough of the V1's outputs or the Android/Java to really even try...

I know the capability is already out there to connect it to a computer... But the only two boxes currently in production are TTL to USB and RJ11 to USB. Not sure how they connect the RJ11 to the TTL (3.5mm audio jacks) but, they do it... haha
  9. NaterGator

NaterGator New Member

Well, I found a document which specifies the signal timing on the concealed display interface, so it looks like I'm going to go ahead with this project this semester.

If all goes well I'll release details on parts to buy to DIY a kit to create a wireless bluetooth adapter and publish an app to the market place to connect to it so the who shebang can be used while the Droid is docked.

Attached Files:

10. Audiophobe

Audiophobe New Member

I hope we'll be able to use it simultaniously with the navigator. Just something to keep inn mind during development.
  11. NaterGator

NaterGator New Member

That's the plan, I don't know how useful it would be without being integrated with the Navigator app. Trust me, I have more planned than that.
  12. Parafly9

Parafly9 New Member

I've got a better idea. A radar detector that has history built into it, so it knows where false positives are, and can sequester out the true hits, upload them to a database, and alert other drivers using the phone ahead of time before they actually hit the radar trap.

Similar stuff has been tried with trapster but I'm thinking of auto-reporting via radar detector instead of having to manually report like you do with Trapster.
  13. NaterGator

NaterGator New Member

Parafly, that's what I'm planning ;)
  14. Parafly9

Parafly9 New Member

Sweet. I'd love to work on something like that but I'm doing way to many other (non-phone) projects right now haha
  15. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

16. NaterGator

NaterGator New Member

Martin,
    That is often the case with metro law enforcement... LIDAR is pinpoint accurate and hard to detect (scatter is the only way) but the V1 still has the best track record at picking up LIDAR. With that said, lots of highway units still use the less expensive radar based solutions, which is where I think an app like this would be most useful.

If LIDAR is a big problem in your area you're pretty much relegated to investing in expensive LIDAR jammers before they become illegal or slowing down. Slowing down is obviously the cheaper and safer solution ;)
  17. rooster.droid

rooster.droid New Member

you could just drive the speed limit. Although on a side note I might be interested in something like this.
  18. Hiroller173

Hiroller173 New Member

Actually, this solution may be more useful with LIDAR and other tactics. Radar detectors pick up LIDAR, but it's too late to save yourself once you're hit. But if the hit is captured and transmitted, the rest of us will know what's coming.

The combination of GPS, radar detection and cellular transmission/reception will definitely up the ante for speed enforcement. Maybe it will encourage the cops to go after real crimes instead of law enforcement supplementary funding (speeding tickets).
  19. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Not a problem :) Just thought it would be good info to share...
    I don't have a speeding problem... those days are behind me... just wanted to make sure all bases were covered in this discussion... and apparently they are :)

plus I know by the time LIDAR is detected, you're already busted
  20. Eli

Eli New Member

Have you guys seen/tried trapster? Not perfect, but neat. Lets you report GPS location of speed traps, red light cameras, etc... as well as get alerts when you approach these GPS locations.
Search tags for this page
android police radar app

arduino radar detector

best androi laser detector app
best police radar app for android
do police radar apps work
free android radar detector app
galaxy s3 radar detector
how to use a verizon note 2 as a radar detector
police laser detector app for android
police radar app for droid
radar 2008 detector for android usb