R.i.p. Razr, what just happened!?

Joshua815

Reaction score
So, (after 2 days of having my phone) yesterday i put a ROM on my rooted RAZR, a few apps, nothing special, barely used it. went to sleep with the battery at 70 percent. woke up and it was at 20. i thought this was odd because i have a CPU controller with powersaver settings and the whole nine. So i tried going on facebook, kept FC. went to look at my CPU settings, kept FC. so i turned it off assuming that because of my settings the low battery wouldnt let my phone run at full power. so i powered off, plugged it in, took a shower. when i got out, safe strap recovery was up (just rescently switched from bootstrap if it matters..?) and when i hit reboot the screen just went black, wont turn on, wont charge, NOTHING. Im about to go up to verizon to either get another RAZR or the droid 4. maybe even the nexus. but anyways could someone maybe shed some light on what happened?

T

TheAlpha

That's the problem; you rooted it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
J

Joshua815

Reaction score
Oh well, just got a brand new one. And whats the point of having an expensive "high tech" phone if youre not going to root it and use it to its full potential? *crickets* yeah ill wait. anyways. they gave me a brand new one so its no longer an issue. i think its cause i had bootsrap, and then downloaded safestrap because i couldnt find the bootstrap icon. So its back to the drawing board. trial and error my friends.

bouncindread

Reaction score
Oh well, just got a brand new one. And whats the point of having an expensive "high tech" phone if youre not going to root it and use it to its full potential? *crickets* yeah ill wait. anyways. they gave me a brand new one so its no longer an issue. i think its cause i had bootsrap, and then downloaded safestrap because i couldnt find the bootstrap icon. So its back to the drawing board. trial and error my friends.
may I ask, what is the difference between bootstrap and safestrap?

T

TheAlpha

And I do. What can you honestly do with a rooted RAZR?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
And I do. What can you honestly do with a rooted RAZR?

Install a program called safestrap. Use it to create a backup of your original ROM, and then switch into a "safe mode" where you can flash a custom ROM (Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs are really popular right now). From this point on, you use the "safe" partition to mess with your custom ROMs. To go back to your stock OS, you simply switch to "non-safe mode". It takes 4 or 5 minutes and you are back in the OS the way you last left it.

You can do alot more with root access as well - use "market enabler" apps to download apps not normally available on your phone, install "busybox" for a full set of Linux tools on your phone........ There are tons of possibilities.

"rooted" means you have full administrative access. It is called "root" because the admin account on a Linux based OS is "root". It is really no different than right-clicking on a program in Windows 7 and telling it to "Run as Administrator" - Windows 7 just has "root" access (for lack of a better term) right out of the box. There is nothing inherently wrong with root access, you just need to remember to be careful if you are modifying partitions which are normally read-only.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
may I ask, what is the difference between bootstrap and safestrap?

"Bootstrap" is a program for rooted phones which allows one to install Clockworkmod Recovery and boot into it. From here, you can back up your original ROM and flash custom ROMs.

"Safestrap" also installs a custom recovery, but this one is much more complex. It basically sets up a "safe mode" partition where you flash your custom ROMs. The "non-safe partition" contains the stock ROM. You get a menu at boot which allows you to either boot into recovery, or into the currently selected partition. This recovery also allows installing custom ROMs, and making backups. But it also contains a menu to switch between "safe" and "non-safe" partitions. This takes a few minutes, but it seemless as long as you make sure you have enough free storage space.

The two sort of complement each other, though. When Verizon updates the stock ROM, you need to uninstall safestrap and install bootstrap in order to install the update. With safestrap installed, the stock (aka "non-safe") partition cannot be reflashed (at least that is how I understand it from the documentation, never tried it to see what would happen)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So, (after 2 days of having my phone) yesterday i put a ROM on my rooted RAZR, a few apps, nothing special, barely used it. went to sleep with the battery at 70 percent. woke up and it was at 20. i thought this was odd because i have a CPU controller with powersaver settings and the whole nine. So i tried going on facebook, kept FC. went to look at my CPU settings, kept FC. so i turned it off assuming that because of my settings the low battery wouldnt let my phone run at full power. so i powered off, plugged it in, took a shower. when i got out, safe strap recovery was up (just rescently switched from bootstrap if it matters..?) and when i hit reboot the screen just went black, wont turn on, wont charge, NOTHING. Im about to go up to verizon to either get another RAZR or the droid 4. maybe even the nexus. but anyways could someone maybe shed some light on what happened?

Problem is when you plugged it in, it went to SafeStrap Recovery instead of Charge ONLY while you were showering, that is a NON-Charging mode. It then SLOWLY drained the battery below the threshold the phone needs to trigger the charger. You essentially deep-discharged the battery. This is a common cause of "Black Screen of Death".

What you SHOULD have done is either charged it while powered up, or better yet, after SafeStrap came up, you would have told it to "Power Down the phone" and then the phone's charging circuitry would have activated and the phone would have charged under the Charge Only mode. Even better still, install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, protected root, then temp-unrooted, powered down and THEN plugged in and let it boot into Charge Only mode. Once fully charged, you could then power back up normally and restored root with OTA Rootkeeper.

Whatever the case, the deep discharging of the battery is the result of your actions and (fortunately for you) you were within your 14-day no-risk return policy period. They COULD have decided not to replace it if they were able to determine it was rooted. You may still be back-charged if the factory discovers same.

2 days in and rooted, you moved way too fast.

Last edited:

bouncindread

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. So from what I understand I have bootstrap on my Droid razr for now. Can I install a custom rom with this?

mal_eskrito

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. So from what I understand I have bootstrap on my Droid razr for now. Can I install a custom rom with this?

Yes, you can install custom roms with Bootstrap. make sure you do a backup first just incase something goes wrong when installing your first rom. so you have th possibilities to go back. Have fun bro.

bouncindread

Reaction score
Last edited:

bouncindread

Reaction score
I have full root acess and k would lke to get the latest flashplayer fully uninstalled and be able to use the hulu fix apk.....suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

jf7609

Reaction score

I do know that if you decide to install safestrap, you HAVE to uninstall bootstrap or it could cause a "soft brick", according to the guy on the youtube video I watched showing how to install safestrap. At least you got a new phone! :)