Qustion for a newbie-tech impared

JWL123

Reaction score
My company tells me there is no way to receive company emails on a Droid or I Phone, only a black berry. Please bear with me as I am not tech savy at all.

My IT people say smart phones use activsync and we usr Black Berry Enterprise Server and I will not be able to recive company emails if I get a Droid. I currently use a black berry to get emails and hate it. Our emails use Outlook.

I am not sure what the truth is. I talked with Verizon and they tell me I can get company emails using the HTC or Droid 2.0. IT says no. I am not sure It is telling me the truth as they really onl wnat to support black berry which makes sense in that it is easier for them. In fact, a young man from our help desk told me I could receive company emails but teh IT adminstrator said he was new and wrong in his advice.

What is the truth here? I would really like to get rid of my black berry.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hah, I am not too sure but I think your IT guys are being little BlackBerry loving tards. I would think it's possible to get it on Droid... or you can forward your box to a gmail and set up your responding email from gmail as your company email so noone knows, thats what I do...

OP
J

JWL123

Reaction score
Thanks

Considering I am a tech idiot, how would I go about forwarding company emails to a droid.

Thanks

E

EvilWays

if you use outlook you should be able to use the email on the droid with no problems, find out the pop server from your it guys, it should be pop.xxx.com or smtp.ccc.com or imap.ccc.com or something along those lines, then find out your username and password from them and use the default email app on the droid, not gmail. it should work just fine as long as they dont use some kind of funky security or something. there is a definite possibility of me being wrong however... i have spent alot of time running from bbs...

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Considering I am a tech idiot, how would I go about forwarding company emails to a droid.

Thanks

Hmm. Well I am an idiot myself until I learn about something I need to know. For this it is hard to say, mostly because you need to find out if the Droid email app can get your mail... and to do this you need a droid. If not you would need to set up in your companies email a forwarding option (which your IT guys might not tell you haha). From there you set up a gmail account, and add your companies email to it in the setup, then you can send emails as if you are on your companies account.

It gets a little complicated, so seeing if your email works on the droid email app is really the first part...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is the truth here? I would really like to get rid of my black berry.
You'd have to ask your Exchange admin. Not all Exchange servers are set up the same way. It's possible that ActiveSync isn't available. It's also possible that it is an option but IT doesn't want to mention or support it. We can guess all day and not give you the right answer for your particular Exchange server.

We're a BB only shop and ActiveSync is not available on our Exchange servers. From an IT standpoint, the BB is a dream to support. I can't imagine having to support the Droid in a corporate setting. With 200+ BB's deployed we have 2 staff members that handle all BB support as a part time responsibility. We'd need an entire full-time team to deal with people messing with their Droids. I can't blame your IT department for wanting to stick with the BB.

if you use outlook you should be able to use the email on the droid with no problems, find out the pop server from your it guys, it should be pop.xxx.com or smtp.ccc.com or imap.ccc.com or something along those lines, then find out your username and password from them and use the default email app on the droid, not gmail. it should work just fine as long as they dont use some kind of funky security or something.
Outlook's ability to access an Exchange server has no bearing on the Droid's ability to access the same Exchange server. For one thing, POP is rarely used for an Outlook client connecting to an Exchange server. Second, a PC running Outlook as a client is probably on the company's internal network where the Droid would be connecting from the outside.

POP access and forwarding (forwarding all email to an external email address) are rarely enabled on Exchange in my experience due to security concerns.

Again, the OP would need to check with his Exchange admin to clarify what methods of access are available.

Also be aware that some companies not only frown upon attempting to circumvent their policies but consider it a terminable offense. If you want to go poking around you might to want to verify your employer's specific policies.

Last edited: