Quite a few questions about D3, please help.

thinkmega

Reaction score
Hello, I just got D3 last night. Here is the list of questions I have. I know I should have asked them before getting the phone. Well, I was excited, but the questions are still there.

1. With this "locked loader" issue, how is that going to impact the rooting process? I had a rooted D1, will a rooted D3 be very different from (rooted) D1 in many aspects, backup/restore, custom ROM deployment?

2. Is the reported GPS problem a wide spread issue or fixed already? Should it be a concern?
3. Picture quality issue, I heard the picture quality is mediocre compared to D1, what's your take on this?
4. I see there is a HOWTO for Safestrap, what about "nandroid"?
5. Also, I've seen reported that it takes somewhere 2-3 seconds to switch app. While I have less than 24 hours experience on D3, I don't feel the latency as apparent. Did I miss something or the report issue was an isolated one?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
1. I believe it means you can't flash different kernals? But you can still flash ROMS and stuff.

2. I haven't had any problems with GPS.

3. It's not the best, but its better than the Droid 1 IMO.

4. I'm pretty sure SafeStrap is basically nandroid.
You can backup/restore, flash ROMS, clear cache/data, etc

5. It switches apps on mine very quickly. Installing a ROM makes it faster too.

OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score
1. I believe it means you can't flash different kernals? But you can still flash ROMS and stuff.

2. I haven't had any problems with GPS.

3. It's not the best, but its better than the Droid 1 IMO.

4. I'm pretty sure SafeStrap is basically nandroid.
You can backup/restore, flash ROMS, clear cache/data, etc

5. It switches apps on mine very quickly. Installing a ROM makes it faster too.

As per "How to root D3" http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-hacks/167587-how-root-your-droid-3-a.html, contents are appended to /data/local.prop. On the other hand, I remember when resetting to factory default on a rooted D1, everything on /data would be wiped. Is that the case here with D3? If so, does it mean the phone becomes unrooted after the factory reset? I'd like to think NO, but want to be sure.

Thanks.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
As per "How to root D3" http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-hacks/167587-how-root-your-droid-3-a.html, contents are appended to /data/local.prop. On the other hand, I remember when resetting to factory default on a rooted D1, everything on /data would be wiped. Is that the case here with D3? If so, does it mean the phone becomes unrooted after the factory reset? I'd like to think NO, but want to be sure.

Thanks.

I'm not exactly sure. I thought you stay rooted, but I'm not certain.

Sent from my XT862 using DroidForums

Reaction score
If you do a factory reset through cwm it keeps root. I'm not sure what happens if you do factory reset with stock recovery

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
I may have missed something earlier so I apologize if I did. A factory reset doesn't cause you to lose root because the system will reboot into the last rom that was flashed to the device. You can run the factory reset through the settings menu and you will be fine.

This post is Incredible 2!

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
Only thing... if you are stock, get root, restore, you lose root. If you are stock, root, backup, use safestrap to 2nd system, rom, recovery, it is fine because you aren't resetting the main system, just the "safe" ROM one. But one click root is easy enough so either way you'll be fine.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
T

thinkmega

Reaction score
Thank you all!

Did I report to you that I've upgraded to D3 last week? I did and am happy with it so far. I also root the phone, and run safestrap. There I see "non-safe" mode, what is safe-mode then? And how to get into it, what's the difference?

Thanks again.

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
Safe = Its normal operation with safestrap, basically safestrap runs a custom rom on top of a stock/rooted system. This allows for changing around roms without flashing the main system... more or less...

Non safe = allows main system flashing.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums