Quick way to kill all sounds?

Wolfy

Reaction score
Is there a way to make a shortcut to the sounds setting on the home screen so you could kill all sounds without having to go into the settings menu? Only way I know of to do it now is to make a shortcut to settings on the home screen, but you still have to go in there, go to sounds, and turn on silent mode. Only other (and quicker) way is to quickly press the power button up top to put display to 'sleep', then hit it again which will wake it up to the lock screen, where you can swipe to turn off the sound.
It would be great to have a shortcut right on the home screen that you'd tap once to kill all sounds, tap it again to restore sounds. It would be REALLY great if that power widget included a mute feature in it when it's upgraded next.
Anyone else have ideas?

OP
W

Wolfy

Reaction score
Never mind - answered my own question...there's an app in Market called 'Mute' does exactly what I asked for above - make a shortcut to it on the home screen. Touch it once, kills ALL sounds..touch it again, all sounds are back on. Works great and is free, and there's no settings for it at all. Great for when you're just about to walk into the Dr's office or somewhere you need to kill your phone sounds quickly. With so many individual volume settings, I'm never sure (as the Droid is still new to everyone) that even though I've turned off the ringer, that my MMS or Email notifiers aren't still going to chirp out at an inappropriate time. With this app, I know I've muzzled the whole phone and it'll just vibrate now until I un-muzzle it.

However, it would still be nice if something like that was in the power widget where all other major phone settings are.

Last edited:

drowe

Reaction score
Does using the volume rocker disable all sounds or just only ringer? Beautiful widgets has a sound widget that you can tap and toggle sound off and on, but it isn't available anymore.... I use timeriffic to mute the sounds on a time basis if that would work....

OP
W

Wolfy

Reaction score
Hi Drowe - I THINK (but am not totally sure) that the rocker controls the volume of whatever app is running - ie if you're on the home screen it does the ringer volume..if you're on a call, it does the earpiece/speakerphone/bluetooth volume. If you're playing music or video, it does the media volume, etc.
That's why I was saying with so many volume controls, you never know if you've turned off one thing, that all the other things might not suddenly go off at a bad time as well. With this Mute app, ALL sounds are muted until you unmute them.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
IF the screen is locked, you should see the unlock button on your left and a speaker icon button to the right. That is the SOUND OFF button. Drag it to the left and it will turn all sounds OFF.

OP
W

Wolfy

Reaction score
JessiesGirl - thanks, I knew that was there...I was looking for a way to do it from the home screen without waiting for the screen to time out and go to the locked screen, or having to force the Droid to sleep, then wake it up with the power button to get to the screen you're talking about.
The Mute app does just what I was looking for. Thanks for your help, though :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Quick Settings is another option... also has toggle for wi-fi, gps, bluetooth, mobile data, and brightness.

silverx10

Reaction score
Or you can press the lock/power button for a couple settings to bring up that context menu. Can do that from lock screen, home screen, whatever.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
IS there an app that would have a line through it to show sounds off and just circled for sounds on

OP
W

Wolfy

Reaction score
Don't know if there's an app that does that, but the Mute app I mentioned above puts a greyed out speaker icon in your notification bar when it's muted. When you un-mute, the icon goes away.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah i have that i guess i will just use it thanks for the help