quick ROM Manager question..

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Russ2387, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Russ2387

Russ2387 New Member

when i back up a rom on rom manager, does it take a "digital picture" so that everything is backed up? settings, home screens, ect.... so if i wipe and run the back up rom it will all go back? or do i still need titanium backup?
  2. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Restoring a backup made with ROM Manager will bring you back to where you were exactly when you made the backup, a Digital Picture as you stated. So any new Texts or Contacts you made would be lost. The only thing that changes is the Date and Time, and any changes you made to the SD card. Some people still swear by Titanium and hopefully you can get a different point of view, from someone who does use Titanium as to some of the benifits.
  3. Russ2387

Russ2387 New Member

i have used titanium backup. i was making sure that backing up a rom is a alternative to this.
  4. christim

christim DF Super Moderator

Backing up the rom is an alternative to Titanium Backup except TB lets you restore that data on a new rom.

As you said, it takes an image or snap shot of everything on your phone (not card).

It's worth mentioning that everyone really should take the 5 minutes it takes to make a backup prior to flashing any rom or theme. If you make these kind of changes often enough sooner or later something is not going to turn out how you want it. Maybe just a font, or maybe the phone doesn't boot up. That backup will save you a bunch of aggravation.
  5. Russ2387

Russ2387 New Member

great advise! thank you. one more question now... what about everything on the sd card? like music or videos. is that backed up by tb or does it even need to be?
  6. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

The SD card stays the same untill you change it, so no need.
  7. Russ2387

Russ2387 New Member

great! thanks!
  8. christim

christim DF Super Moderator

re: the SDcard

If you have pictures or other stuff on it you want, then copy it to your computer. With the prices of external drives so cheap plus "out in the cloud" options for data too there is no reason to not have your data backed up. Our digital images sit on 3 different hard drives plus a copy sits on an ipod as well. Pretty much anything else on the computer could be replaced...some with more effort than others, but I'd hate to lose pictures.

You can take your entire card, copy it some backup folder on your pc, and then copy those contents to a new card and be good to go if something happened to the original. It even makes sense to keep a nandroid backup on your computer in case the phone got stolen, ran over by a steamroller or fell into quicksand. Toss the nandroid onto the new phone's card and you'd be good to go in short order.
  9. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

This is what I do also, you can never be to careful, I also keep copies of my system/app and data/app folders and my framework-res.apk on my SD and Computer.

While updating ROMs this is helpful in reinstalling .apk's I have themed and the copies on my PC are easy to access and alleviate the need to "mount" just to grab an .apk to theme
Search tags for this page

does rom mmanager back up everything